1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

radeon blank screen

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stegalv, Jun 23, 2004.

1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    i installed a radeon 9800 pro last night and the pc seems to run ok.i have previously finished far cry and call of duty but i thought i would play them again to see how good this card is with everything set to high.

Both games go through the loading sequence but as soon as it enters the game in tour of duty or the setup options in far cry the screen goes blank and the pc is locked with no way to recover other than the reset button.

I had left the agp slot on 64meg in the bios so changed it to 128 with no effect,
    i have the catalyst 4.6 installed,the machine specs are xp3200 barton,1024 3200 ram 400fsb dual channel,asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard.

i have noticed in system/hardware/device/graphics driver there are 2 drivers listed- radeon 9800 pro and radeon 9800 pro secondary is this normal.

any ideas anybody? this is the first quality card i have ever had in any machine and the first i have had any trouble with.

P.S forgot to mention a error message, vpu recovery is resetting the graphics accelarator because it has stopped responding to commands from the graphics driver

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the bit about there being 2 different devices i know is correct so dont worry about that at all. its because of the dual monitor function of the card.
    i cant help you too much on the other subject yet im afraid

3. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you are probably trying to run the games at a resolution or a high refresh rate the monitor doesnt like
    try turning them down a notch :)

4. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks solar,i have turned down to 60hz and 1224x768 on a 20"hitachi monitor still the same problem

5. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I installed the card on my pc without problems ...But i had to change power supply 450 watt. The other important factor not mentioned in your thread is what card you had previous ,if any. I had a nvidia card and made sure all traces of its drivers were removed.
    If this is the case you should have first uninstalled nvidia driver from control panel..dont let m/c reboot then run driver cleaner from guru3d.com. I also cleaned registry.
    Hope this is of some help :thumbsup:

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks martian,yeah i had a nvidea 4200, i uninstalled drivers in normal way but i did'nt go to your lengths,as i read your thread i was in the middle of formatting and starting from scratch.

a couple of people have commented on psu so i will use a seperate one just for the radeon card to test it (have you any idea which is pin 1 on the motherboard power connector i have been told to link 2 of the pins together but they are not numbered)but everyone who has fitted this card ca'nt have fitted new psu so how have they got away with it.

7. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Panny,

I don't know what configuration you have but on a standard system a 300-350W power supply from a reputable manufacturer should be fine.

I think its more likely down to your software configuration than your hardware configuration. I upgraded to a Radeon 9800 Pro from a GeForce 4 Ti4200 video card too. I made sure all possible traces of the detonator drivers were wiped from my system before the upgrade. Even then, I found that reformatting my system gave a further increase in the cards performance. I also found that once I swapped the cards, I had to delete the configuration files on some games (like GTA3) before they would load properly.

I know it can be frustrating troubleshooting but have a go at doing the following:

- Following this guide to clean the old drivers off your drive (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33738545)
    - Ensuring that you have the correct drivers installed for your monitor (and, of course, set up correctly - particularly with regards to the refresh settings)
    - Using a different versions of the Catalyst drivers
    - Turning off Fast Write (Right click on your desktop -> Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> SMARTGART(tm) -> next to 'Fast Write', select 'Off' -> OK)
    - Lowering the AGP speed (this option can be found by following the same steps above)
    - (Updating the game(s) to their latest patch(es) - but that goes without saying I guess ;))

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

Alex

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Panny on my motherboard assuming all power connectors are the same the top left pin is 10
    top right pin is 20
    bottom left is 1
    bottom right is 11
    If i was you i would just swap out psu [you will need more power anyway with future upgrades, newer p4 and possibly athalon 64 latest graphics cards etc] I would also update your motherboards chipset drivers [agp] get the latest version of directx and run all the tests [spinning 3d cube etc].
    If this fails the only other conflict i can think of is your hard drive motherboard g/card combo not getting on as was the case with a friend he had a msi board and a serial ata hard drive that caused problems for his radeon card :suicide: , last resort but might be worth a search on the subject.

9. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks again martin i have just finished reinstalling xp on a different drive (allsorts of crashes and error messages)anyway a clean install with minimum drivers.
    put in all the new drivers for the motherboard chipset,(borrowed a 400watt psu of a friend who says it is a quality one) first tried 4.1 catalyst without the control panel and installed painkiller, reached set up screen ticked a setting pc locked then shutdown.
    tried installing the control panel pc locked and shut down .
    just put in the 4.6 catalyst and am going to bridge the pins on my original psu and only use that to power the card after that i give up,the card will have to go back and get a nvidea card.

just rigged up my other power supply and only connected my radeon to it , i got past the set up screen and through the intro then loaded level 1 it fully loaded then as it was going to switch to the play screen the monitore went blank sound looped pc locked. i have nothing else to try now.

10. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you got any sort of temperature monitoring software on the machine?It could be a overheating issue with the cpu or possibly a memory fault.

Can you list the machine specs etc down to the last detail?Did you change anything else when you fitted the card initially?

Also can you not try your card in your friends machine to see if it does it on his?

Heres a link to Motherboard monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

And also a link to Memtest for checking your memory its a ISO so you will need to burn a image to a cd to make it bootable

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.1a.iso.zip

Heres the program homepage should you need any help

http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

As a sidenote I always have used the Omega version of the Catalyst drivers and I have found them to be the best.In particular 3.7 as they seem the fastest.I am running 4.6 but get poor IQ in UT2K4 with either the official drivers or the Omegas.

Regards

Steve

11. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks sjl, i have temperature monitoring in the bios which is showing cpu 46deg motherboard 26deg,all the time i have been testing this card i have had a large fan blowing into the open case so that i could rule out overheating.

i fitted a amd xp 3200 cpu and another 512 meg of ram(total 1024 meg) about two weeks before the card although i didn't run any games (i was waiting for the radeon)my system seemed to run ok i have also run the burn in programme in sisoft sandra for about 2 hours, which is supposed to stress the system, again no problems.

could the card be faulty even though it dos'nt crash in normal use

i have explained earlier that somone asked me to try a screensaver which he said was open gl,as soon as i previewed it in display the exact same fault happened.

what specs would you want.

12. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn just typed out a long reply to you and have just managed to wipe it all out. :censored:

Have you got MSN as we could chat live on that rather than trying to discuss it through the board?

Steve

13. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Is the fan working fine on the card and did you try games when you put it in other m/c, i am sorry to repeat this but have you tried all the tests in directx, were they ok. :rolleyes:

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    is it in warrenty?? If it is just send it back and get a new one. It sounds like its faulty :(

15. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    sjl my son uses msn i will have to ask him how to use it, do i need any details off you?.

hi martian, the fan seems ok, directx test run fine,locked up on second set of test in 3d mark 2003, sorry put what in other machine?

just reinstalling win xp back onto sata drive (tried ide drive last night still crashed)********thing just locked copying setup files.

what is normal cpu temp mines running at 52deg without additional fans

16. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I will PM you my MSN address and we can take it from there.

52degs whilst its not hot it not cool either I only ever used to see temps like that after some serious gaming.

Did you use Artic silver on the heatsink when you put it on to the new chip?

As I tried to say in my last post my friend had 5 XP3200 chips and they were all faulty and would usually crap out after a bit of serious load.Each one was from a different source as well so we definitely know it was a manufacturing problem.

TBH a graphics card would not cause a hard lock usual problems are screen corruption when in 3D apps.Hard locking suggests memory or cpu trouble.

I will PM you now with my MSN address

Steve

17. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    sorry i thought i had read you had tried in another m/c...any way of trying this [a friends puter]. I wish i could think of something else to try, what you are experiencing is what i worried about before switching card brands myself. If i can come up with something else i will let you know. :(

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Something else to try is this little memory test program to see if you main system memory is faulty.
    http://www.memtest.org/

worth a shot

19. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks everyone for your advice. sjl may have found the problem "fingers crossed" i can't keep my new cpu below 40deg and in my bios the vcore voltage is 1.82, sjl informs me this should be around 1.65 and is the reason the cpu is running hot.
    according to my motherboard manual i should be able to lower the voltage manually but it will not go below 1.8 for some reason,so sjl asked me to set the fsb and multiplier to run my cpu at 2500 instead of 3200 and try a game.
    i was going out but i actually got to play halo for a couple of minutes and it didn't lock the pc i will try again tomorrow, if it works my cpu must be faulty.
    i will post the outcome

20. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    well it seems there is a problem running the 3200 barton at 200fsb,i am onto about the 4th level on call of duty and my son has been playin unreal 2004 online with no problems so far.
    now i know that the problem was the cpu i have been looking on other forums and it seems as though it's not an uncommon problem,a lot of people are having the same hair pulling screaming habdabs over this.
    some have solved it by running the memory at 80% of the 200fsb with the same motherboard as mine,how they achieve it they did'nt explain.?
    others have changed numerous items without success.
    anybody any clues as to why the vcore is running at 1.82v and won't allow me to change it.