1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9800 to Hitachi 42PD3000 VGA Input

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazzz, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Gazzz

Gazzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally built my HTPC and I'm pleased so far... However, I am not convinced I'm driving the plasma in the ideal resolution.

Running at 1024x768 the image is very crisp and good for text but it is of course being stretched as this is a 4:3 ratio.

I understand the plasma is an ALIS panel, and I have read that the "pixel perfect" mapping should be 1024x512 for this screen. I have tried running 1024x512 via powerstrip but the results are "nasty". Am I missing something here, a setting or something within powerstrip perhaps?

I notice that my plasma is referenced on the Imagine Graphics web site as supported by the pixel perfect card, but does this card really do anything my Radeon and powerstrip can't do?

http://www.imaginegraphics.co.uk/products/PixPerfect/pixelperfect.htm

2. jimbo

jimbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a similar situation, I have a Panasonic TH-42PW5 and a Radeon 9200 card in my PC they are connected via VGA input and I have set the resolution using Powerstrip to 852x480 but the picture is not great and seems to be smaller than the actual dimensions of the screen (there is a 3" gap at the top and bottom of the screen). Is it something to do with the refresh rate or have I got the resolution set wrong or both????

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimbo

3. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My brother has the Hitachi Plasma.

We tried all sorts of diiferent resolutions for the I thought 1024*1024 panel. We eventually settled on 1280*720 as the best overall compromise. Not pixel perfect but very smooth.

The thing that made the biggest difference to the watching experience was using 50 or 75hz referesh rates for Pal and 59.94 for NTSC. They got rid of loads of judder in pans.

Another tip if you haven't already, is turn off all of the built in picture processing options that the Hitachi has as they crush the black and white levels considerably.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If so, you should be sending it an interlaced resolution (don't think the ALIS panel is progressive capable).

Could be wrong but worth a search in the plasma forum.

5. Gazzz

Gazzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi is progressive capable, I've tried feeding interlaced and it made no difference :(