Radeon 9800 Hardware acceleration

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Muf, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For the past 12 months or more I have been using a Radeon 9200 in my HTPC mainly used for HD (live view and file playback) and also DVD playback. Many people have said to me "Your graphics card is a bit under pwered" so I got a 9800 SE 256MB a few days ago.
    Here is my problem:
    The 9200 was great for interlaced HD using the intervideo filters with DXVA and HWMC enabled in the Registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>InterVideo>Common>VideoDec
    and also under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>InterVideo>Common>VideoDec.
    It played showing both fields so the video was very smooth, this is very noticeable with sports scenes where the camera swings quickly from side to side. If I used other filters or disabled hardware acceleration the video was bad, a lot of jitter when the camera moves quickly. With the 9200 the cpu usage was about 12% to 18% with hardware acceleration and about 33% without (Viewing live Euro1080 or playing back recorded HD files).
    The 9800 does not work with HWMC or DXVA. It ignores HWMC ( makes no difference) but with DXVA enabled it crashes the PC as soon as you use the intervideo filter. CPU usage is about 33%.
    My question is: What hardware acceleration options are available to me with the 9800 and how do I enable them?

Jim.