1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9700 shipping soon

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cam, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new 9000 series Radeons will be shipping in a few weeks and seem to be worth waiting for after reading the technical appraisal of them but will the driver situation be the same as the 8500 when it launched?.....I hope not as I fancy one of these puppies!
    Also is there any news on the new capture cards featuring the latest Brooktree chipsets?

Cam

2. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a genuine ati radeon 7500 for our hcpc and wish I hadn`t now. There is no difference in the picture quality from the geforce 2 64mb card it replaced. The only difference now being the ati player won`t play properly, glitches through the film using any various software players for that matter and its a royal pain in the a**! Tried latest drivers & dvd player from ati.. same grief. Pc is 1800xp on msi board & 512mb of ddr with ata100 drive. This is on a clean install of xp pro too. Waste of money.

3. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you follow the guides to doing a clean install of the ATI software that should cure most of you problems and junk the ATI player and get either TT or one of the "full" versions of either WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Cam

4. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned, have the Windvd full version, everything was a clean install, the lot, it stutters on Windvd too, the geforce ran perfect. You can test the 2 cards on 2 machines and people can`t tell which is which... yeah I can fix it no doubt, when I get the time, but should I have to? and all for no improvement. ATI is overhyped IMO....

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why?

How much is the 9700 going to retail for?

A hell of a lot more than my £120ish GF4 Ti4200, with blistering game performance &, IMO, excellent 2D picture.

DVD & VGA, dual ramdacs, excellent driver support etc...

ATI do produce good cards, but not worth waiting for if you ask me, which I know you didn't, but there you go :p

6. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I`m more interested in the 9000, which should be around 80 quid and will have 10 bit DACs for better DVD picture quality. I`m not interested in 3d performance, so I want the cheapest and best DVD playback I can get, which looks like being the Radeon 9000 (well, when it comes out anyway).

Chris

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    I've always found the ATI drivers to be less than adequate - which is why I go the Nvidia route for my own computers. The ATI cards we have used at work or in the computers we have built for clients always seem to give us problems
    If the driver situation is better now I would be interested in one of their new 9700 cards as the specifications look good on paper

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    All Radeons have 10bit DACs and overlay.

I would wait a few weeks to see what the guys on AVS say before makeing the jump.

Jeff

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
  10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im hoping that the new geforce 5? (nv30?) will sport 10bit dacs for decent colour fidelity like the ATI radeon cards. Also the next geforce cards from nvidia should have far better 2D quality because nvidia will be telling 3rd party manufacturers to use decent RFI filters and not shoddy rubbish that they are currently using which is making 2D quality suffer. I think the only geforce card which has decent 2D quality thanks to decent RFI filters is the gainward make. Still it only has 8bit dacs and not 10bit so it still looks 'flat' compared to a radeon card. Hopefully geforce 5 will sort these problems out...

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    Is there anywhere to go for info on the GeForce 5?.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Most of the info is all rumours, even the specs have not been confirmed. There is no reliable source at the moment, simply lots of people, obviously, assuming one will eventually be released.

The ATi looks very impressive, will be interesting to see the prices.

13. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/1434621

is based on some rumours and also some facts. Nvidia have said that the card will be out 'for the holiday season' what ever that means!. Im not sure about the hardware details but they have a lot on their hands with the ATI camp and their newly acquired acquisitions. If you like reading about graphics technologies then http://www.flipcode.com/misc/siggraph2002.shtml is a worth a read but does'nt really tell you much about hardware specs.

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your prayers have been answered :kisses:

Now available

here , down at the bottom of the page.

Don't consider this for any gaming or taxing graphics though, way below even a R8500LE.

15. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the 9700 might just be the first graphics card to actually be worth £300, lol. We haven't seen a performance delta like this since Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 SLI. The featureset (especially I/O) is also pretty incredible.

MuFu.

16. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    nVnews:
    http://www.nvnews.net