1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9700 or H WinTV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AVMADMAN, Jan 20, 2003.

1. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was recommended to me over the weekend that I buy a Hauppauge WinTV card instead of a Radeon 9700 as it is better...

would like to hear from you guy's what you think?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    not quite the same thing, do you mean an 9700 AIW?

3. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was trying to find out what would make the best HCPC that i would be proud of and was trying to find out what I would need..

I only have a LMP case on order the rest is still up in the air - to be honest i don't really know what AIW is????

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    9700 AIW is an all in wonder which is a combined capture and graphics card with a tv tuner built in. This card is not compatible with Dscaler if you want to capture and scale sky etc

9700 or 9700 pro is ATI's latest fastest graphics card, a bit overkill for a HTPC unless your using the HTPC for games as well.

Best bet for the moment is a 9500 or 9500 pro which has the same guts as the 9700 but without the sheer pocessing power which isn't needed for nongame play. Budget for a heaatsink that replaces the fan on it though if you want it to be quiet as its a noisy bugger. This will do all the outputting and scaling of the image.

If you intend to capture sky for pc processing using dscaler then you need a compatible input device. The Hauppage win tv is one that also includes an onboard tv tuner if you need one although its not considered the best you can get. Better off with a Prolink Xcapture card, (theres another thread about this at the moment
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63283 For about £50 it should do a much better job. Money no object get a Hollow 3D for about £750 :eek: This is a hardware version of Dscaler that doesn't require such a powerful PC.

5. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Money isn't too much of a problem and i want the best i can get...

so hollow 3d it is....

Thanks John..
    In your opinion what would you say i need (hardware) to make my Hcpc special if you were to build it for me?

Thanks in advance for your time..

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With a H3D you really dont need much processing power so an Intel based mobo with a Celeron Tualitin processor is ample and has the advantage that it is much easier to keep cool than the higher power options, combine that with the Zalmann flower cooler or the Silverado which are both nice and quiet, an Enermax EG365 PSU has speed adjustable fans for low noise and gives a good steady supply of power and is good with regard to minimising electrical noise for the capture card. With sound I'm not speaking from experience but the RME is regarded as one of the best around. Branxx is the one to ask about that.

Software you'll need Powerstrip for custom resolutions and probably Theatretek for a well interfaced DVD player.

What display device and amplifer etc is this to be partnered with?

7. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be coupld with a Denon av11sr amp and a Barco 808 PJ..

And thanks again for your time!

8. highyellow1

highyellow1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the states, will the 9700 capture directv?