Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Radeon 9600 - which output better quality image - DVI to VGA or VGA ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    Just wondering if anyone knows this one:

I have a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 (non pro)
    This has a VGA output port and a DVI output port.

I have a DVI to VGA adaptor plugged into the DVI port. meaning I have two VGA ports now.

Does anyone know if the REAL VGA port, or the VGA port driven from the DVI out gives the better quality image ?

There must be some componant differences on the circuit board, one of the signals going through more than the other one.

Anyone know, or have a guess ?

Also, do you know how to tell windows/ATI software which screen uses which port ?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I can barely tell the difference between dvi and vga anyway, so I reckon they'll both look exactly the same, so go with either. :)

Gary.

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,254
    Cheers Gary (I think!) :)

At the moment I have my CRT Monitor in the DVI (Via Adaptor) and my Pannie in the real VGA.

Only thing is, when something goes wrong (drivers crash as I'm fiddling with settings) I think things can get confused and the radeon seems to default to a picture only on the VGA outputm which as you can guess is not handy.

For some reason since putting my system together, the Radeon is VERY unstable, and messing with primary/secodary monitors and screen res of either device can bomb all of windows out to a cold startup of the machine at any time.

This was a clean WinXP pro install, followed my the latest drivers.
    It's a real pain.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    You might be able to stop that happening if you set it up to display on one monitor at a time, and switch it using alt-f5 (I think that's the default hot key).

I had some similar problems after installing later drivers, so had to do that to get better results. Occasionaly it'll boot into a 1080 res for no reason, but at least I have a picture, and it's easy to set it back to the correct res. :)

It boots into both outputs IIRC, but then defaults to the dvi. If both monitors are on at the same time, there's a good chance it'll crash. Fortunately I only need one or the other so don't run them both.

Gary.