1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9600 - Catalyst drivers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sniffer66, Mar 12, 2005.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    Hi

Anyone have any reccomended settings for this card/radeon cards in an HTPC ?

I'm looking specifically at anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering, AI etc etc. Do these have effect on video thru Dscaler ?

At the moment I have everything on and set to Highest Quality but I'm not sure if this is ideal for standard video/film

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What renderer are you using? AA and AF only affect VMR and generally with ATIs Overlay produces better results.

If you use VMR then without doubt you want to disable AA. As for AF, it's suggested by some that bumping AF to 8 or more can improve PQ, but others say it makes no difference .. as with most areas like this your eyes are right. ;)

3. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    sorry to jump in on this thread but does anyone know which are the best/stablest drivers for these cards???
    omega or catalyst?
    and which version,i think the up-to date version is 5.3 but i seem to see most are running with 4.12
    cheers
    paul

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If it ain't broke don't fix it .. and old but very wise saying. :)

For an HTPC I never bother upgrading drivers unless I have a problem, I use the 4.12s since they stabilised one or two annoyances from 4.10 and provided 1280x720p support out of the box.

AFAIK the only potential benefit of later drivers is hardware WMV decoding, about which I know little but since I don't intend to play these I haven't bothered investigating.

5. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    robin,

have you upgraded to 6600GT ?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Er, no. :)

I briefly switched from a 9600 SE to a 6800GT but had problems getting 50hz into my H77 projector so I went back to the 9600. I did some A/B comparisons as best I could and really don't think I could see any meaningful difference.

From what I've read I'm not sure a 6600GT is a good idea, lots of people seem to suffer stutter and other problems and VMR renderless, supposedly to cure tearing and other glitches, seems somewhat less than great in TT 2.1 at least.

Why do you ask?

7. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using my current 9600 with TT, VMR9, renderless + ffdshow and no NVPP. I think that results are as good as it gets. I'm now building the quiet HTPC based on Hiper case and been thinking wether graphics card upgrade would be a worth while...

9600 easily does 1024x576@50Hz for my ThemeScene H-56

thanks

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm undecided to be honest. There was a lot of hype when the 6800s first came out, several of the guys on AVS whose words are taken unquestioningly said how much better they were than 9600s and a general mass-migration seemed to take place.

I admit I was one of them which is why I got the 6800GT, but in all honesty I really can't say I saw any significant improvement, indeed it may have been more a placebo effect than real.

There was more hype surrounding 'PureVideo' recently. I still had the 6800 when the drivers first came out that supposedly supported it, made no difference to me.

I'm surprised you're using VMR with a 9600, certainly with my SE VMR makes the image a bit hazy and generally not as clean .. though come to think of it I never tried it again after ditching NVPP, maybe it'd be worth trying again if I ever seriously start using the HTPC again.