Radeon 9600 and HS10 problems....

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by The Mekon, Nov 17, 2003.

1. The Mekon

The Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how I can overcome the following...

On connecting the above using DVI my HS10 shows the HTPC starting to boot up, as soon as it switches into windows itself it comes up with a message 'frequency out of range' which I believe to be a HS10 message. Whilst the HTPC continues to boot into XP this is all I get.

I think its the graphics card using a frequency out of range of the pj. Has anyone seen this or know how to over come it.

Many thanks,

Mekon:(

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What resolution are you normally running with the HS10 connected? 1024x768 (XGA) is the highest desktop resolution it handles.

I'd suggest connecting a regular monitor, setting res at XGA, reboot with HS10 connected (in safe or VGA mode if necessary) & you should have a displayed desktop.

Then you can go about setting the HS10's res to 1366x768.

Best of luck :)

3. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you apply the resolution in windows after the reboot it jumps to 1600*1200 which is why it comes up out or range on the HS10.

I've had these lots of times before and used to overcome it by connectingf a crt monitor as Kramer suggested but there is an easier solution.

Create the resolution in powerstrip and reboot to add it to the graphics driver but then select it and apply it in powerstrip and not from the windows control panel. I've done it sucessfully this way the last 4 or 5 times with cat 3.6 and cat 3.8.

4. The Mekon

The Mekon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For some further info, I was trying to upgrade my old Radeon 7000 for the 9600. When this all went a little pair shaped. I tried a fresh install of Windows and still got the above message, this without installing powerstrip. I never arrived at a stage where the card worked in any way other than showing the initial boot sequence and failing as soon as windows started to boot. I'm still not sure why this is the case, it could be the card is running slightly over spec on its refresh rate.

The card works in my other pc's with a monitor attached. I'll give it a blast and try using a monitor to preconfigure the card before adding the HS10.

Many thanks for your input, I'll let you know if and how I get it to work.

:)

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If its failing that early then connect a normal monitor first.

Dont forget that you will need the latest version of powerstrip to work with a 9600 when you go to configure the custom resolution. I think its version 3.45.