1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9500 Pro Installed: What Now?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Hlynur, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Hlynur

Hlynur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says I've have just had this card installed and it's running quite nicely.

But I was wondering what exactly I should be installing in terms of software, etc. I'm not using a projector yet, but I will be soon.

So what should I be doing? I've searched around here and "powerstrip" seems to come-up alot, as does "dscaler". I can't quite work out what they do but if I need them then I want them :D

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Powerstrip allows you more flexibility when setting the resolution of your PC, in order to try to match that of your display device. For example, my display device (a Fujitsu plasma) has a resolution of 1366x768 and I use powerstrip to set my PC's resolution to 1368x768, which is the closest that works with the screen via DVI. I lose 1 pixel on each side, but there is a pixel to pixel mapping for the rest of the screen, which makes it extremely clear. Without Powerstrip I would use 1024x768 or 1280x768 and either have a pixel-to-pixel mapping over some of the screen, or a stretched (and therefore blurred) picture over all of the screen. In the latter case some PC pixels would effectively map to two screen pixels and some to only one, which obviously looks bad (especially for text). It doesn't matter how the screen tries to compensate for this, it will still not look as good as a pixel-by-pixel mapping.

Some people say that having a pixel-by-pixel mapping is what's called "Native Rate", but some say that Native Rate must also match the screen's resolution (and therefore my 2 lost pixels mean that I'm not using Native Rate). There's a lot of heated (and pretty pointless) discussion about this going on in the US forums at the moment.

Powerstrip is free, so there's no harm in downloading it and playing with it, but it's not worth registering until you get your projector and find out what the resolution of that is. It could be that your graphics card offers that resolution as one of its standard ones.

As for DScaler, their website explains its purpose best:

"DScaler is a piece of software that captures video, processes it, and scales it for presentation on a projector or computer monitor. Unlike most existing software that processes video, DScaler implements highly sophisticated algorithms that work in real-time, providing PC owners with a level of image quality unknown up to now. "

I've tried it out but couldn't get it to improve on what I was seeing without it. However I didn't spend very long playing with the vast number of options that it provides. A few threads have appeared on this forum recently about the best settings to use, so I might give it another go soon to see if I can get a better picture.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Funny you should say that but my brother has just bought the Hitachi pma400 (I think) and Sky by svideo direct to the plasma is at least as good if not better than pixel perferct 1:1 with dscaler. The only advantage with using the PC is thjat the cooling fans of the plasma dont kick in.

4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have been experimenting before building my HTPC, and used powerstrip to match my Panasonic 42inch plasma to its 852 X 480 natve size. The results with both Nebula's DigiTV and Showshifter (for DVD) were excellent.
    I could not get any improvement with Dscaler.