1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9500 DVI output question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rooster, Feb 27, 2003.

1. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Just spent last 4 hours trying out my new graphics card . hooked it up to HS10 via DVI and used custom res from powerstrip. Picture looks fantastic.

Should i be tweak any other powerstrip settings like colour profiles or performance profiles?

I have the radeon 9500 that has dual output. i thought this meant i could get the same display on two monitors but all i have been able to do is use the second monitor ..i.e. the PJ and screen as an extension to the first. i.e. I see windows icons on my primary and can open up applications on the secondary but cant get both monitors to show same display. Is this possible or have i misunderstood what dual output meant.

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I don't really have an answer to your question but have exactly the same problem using the same card! I cannot, apparently, 'clone' the video output to two displays even when using the same resolution.

FYI I left all those other Powerstrip settings well alone - frightening they are!

Paul

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a radeon 9000 pro which will probably be very similar in terms of drivers to 9500.

I can clone the same image to projector and monitor no problems at all. 99% sure you just have a configuration problem.

Ensure that you do NOT have the checkbox ticked in "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" under the display properties.

The under 'advanced' select 'displays' I think. Select your projector (FPD) as "primary" - this is the icon with the circle in the middle - and select your normal monitor as "clone" - this is little icon with two squares on it...

John

4. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers John_n will have a look tonight. Did you change any other settings in powerstrip as pcavelle points out the number of parameters available to change is frightening

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I just added the custom resolution to powerstrip. Powerstrip added the resolution to the ATI drivers. once that was done, I never ran powerstrip again.

You don't need to run powerstrip in the background in order to use your custom resolution. So once it has been added to the display driver, you can just stop running/using powerstrip totally.

I think the polarity of the sync pulses on powerstrip affects the displayed mode on the HS10 from memory.

Negative, Negative corresponds to present 51 (which I use)
    Positive,Positive corresponds to preset 121 I think.

No difference between the two.

No tweaks needed.

6. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John I cant see anything about cloning under advanced properties i clicked on

properties/settings/advanced I got a window up with a number of tabs

general/adaptor/monitor/troubleshooting/colormanagement

had a look through them all
    :(

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is more HTPC than PJ, so I'm moving to the appropriate area.

8. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Courtesy of John Spicer,

"OK lets assume PJ connected to vga 1 and monitor connected via adapter to dvi.

Make sure the ATI control panel is installed
    Right click on the desktop and choose:-
    properties/settings/
    make sure the resolution is set for the monitor you want to enable as primary, (doesn't matter if its not the one your on)
    click
    advanced/displays
    in the four up display you will only see colour on the connected monitors. VGA will be one of the top two. assuming both connected then you can make one of them primary by clicking the blue box with two white circles in it. you can turn a monitor off by clicking the red power button. Once they are arranged as you'd like for the 1st setting then type a name where it says scheme and then choose a hotkey eg "F1" and then save. You dont need to apply it at this point. If you want different resolutions on each monitor (probably) go back to the settings and change the resolution their, (it might make your picture out of proportion but dont worry at this stage) Go back to the display tab, enable the other monitor, set it to primary, disable the 1st monitor and save it as "setting" "F2".

Esc to desktop

Press "F1" or "F2" to select the correct single monitor and resolution.

You can also use this and have extra settings for different resolutions/ referesh rates or dual head output etc."

This does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Steve

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ATI control panel? Dont think i have that, all i have is a program called hydravision. Also i have pj connected to DVI and not monitor is procedure the same assuming i can get this ati control panel

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yep, identical. Get rid of hydravision, ATI control panel is avaialble from the ATI site.

Steve

11. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help steve will try tonight

12. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Spent all weekend tearing my hair out trying to get HTPC up and running. All i am wanting to achieve is to have two modes , one for pj and one for Monitor use. PJ mode should show windows desktop on PJ screen at 1366 x 786 and cloned to monitor and Monitor mode should just have windows desktop to monitorat 1280 x 1024 Each time i try to set this up i get nowwhere. And to cap it all somehow i lost the display on both monitor and PJ so had to boot up in safe mode and deinstall ATI 3.1 drivers but now i cant get them installed again. Each time i install them the PC refuses to boot up .

Also cant get 5.1 thro to amp from PC

Totally frustrated nowas i know HTPC is best way to go

13. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Make sure you have ATI control panel installed and follow the Hotkey procedure carefully, it does work.

The only thing you cant do (I think) is display different resolutions to different moniotrs at the same time.

14. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think the problem is ATI Control panel v 3.1 it's truly dreadfull. I installed my MP-1 mod over the weekend and decided to move up to Cat 3 drivers..... avoid 3.1 like the plague, after numerous re-installs I finally settled on 3.0.

Make sure you use 3.0 control panel with 3.0 drivers. Do not re-install over existing drivers, either "nuke & pave" or do a clean of the registry. It's not as scary as it sounds, there are a couple of "how to's" here, do a search.

It does work I had to do it myself for my PJ & monitor last night :D

It works exactly as John explained.

Edit: Also if you're not using standard resolutions make sure you've added them via Powerstrip Advanced timings.

Steve