1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9500 Default Resolution problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a Radeon 9500 in my HTPC and in the last 10 days or so it has exhibited a strange feature. When booting the PC my LCD monitor just clicks until Windows starts. I have determined this is because it is receiving an unsupported resolution.

Further testing has determined that during the boot process the graphics card is outputting a 1280x720 resolution but as soon as Windows starts it reverts to 1024x768. I am therefore assuming it has somehow defaulted to this 1280x720 resolution which then gets changed by Windows. I know this because the only display which will show the PC boot screens correctly is my Sharp projector which during these boot screens shows it is receiving a 720p signal.

Simple question (but too tough for me :) ) does anyone know how I change the default resolution of the card so the LCD monitor displays images during the boot process. Not a big issue at the moment but if (when) I need to use a boot disk and work at DOS level I really don't want to have to do it viewing on the pj.

Thanks.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    :confused: No one with any ideas??? Must all be just as stumped as me :D

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The radeon card is not using the ati driver untill after the windows splash screen, I thought it ran at 640*480 upto the point where windows initialise the ati driver and reverts to the last used setting (mostly). As for changing anything it, I haven't a clue I'm afraid.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nope, definitely running at 1280x720 up until the point at which Windows takes over. very annoying as wanted to make a Ghost backup of the drive last night and had to do it all via the pj :mad:

5. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is an odd one...
    Windows boots up in basic VGA mode 640x480 until you see the login screen / desktop.

A few long shots (you might already have tried):

1. Go into Windows Safe Mode > set the display settings to the lowest settings > restart windows normally > set display to 1024x768 > restart and see if it's working normally

or

2. Download the latest Radeon drivers for your card.
    Also check for a firmware update for the card.

3. Check the video settings in the BIOS. The only feasable way the card could boot in high res is some sort of bootup file (.ini)
    or a BIOS "feature" on newer mobo's.
    I've not come across either however.

4. Windows NT / 2000 /XP also have a boot using VGA mode in the Windows Boot Menu to allow you to reset the resolution if it's been set too high. Still doesn't explain how you're getting 1280x720 during boot up...

Owen