1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon - 9000 or 7500?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by owain_thomas, Jan 6, 2003.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I am still researching my first HCPC setup and have always thought I would get a radeon 9000pro, but it occurred to me today that maybe a 7500 would be ok for my needs.

I don't want to play games on the computer, it'll just be for DVDs, DIVXs, CD playback, Showshifter and internet access. Do I need the extra cost and - more importantly - the extra fan noise of the 9000 or will the 7500 do everything I need?

Thanks
    Owain

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 7500 also has a fan but I can't say that it’s particularly audible. I use the card in my pc exclusively for DVD viewing and it performs very well especially as it is supplying an image to a 10ht on an 8 feet screen.
    Dave

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Oh right, I thought it was fanless, maybe that's the 7000 then.

Can any one outline the differences between the 7000, 7500 and 9000 as far as using in a HCPC goes, I'm not concerned about 3D performance at all.

Thanks
    Owain

4. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, based on your requirements I'd recommend a Sapphire Radeon 9000 64MB (not the Pro version) - the dual head version with DVI is fanless and around £50. It is supported by Rage3D Tweak (unlocks several resolutions) and Powerstrip (if you need unusual resolutions).

cheers, Phil