1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

radeon 8500DV vs. pinnacle studio deluxe

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Luke Wilson, May 3, 2002.

1. Luke Wilson

Luke Wilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm buying a PC for analogue and digital video editing. The studio deluxe seems to provice a cheap solution for both but if I want to play games etc I'll also need a separate 3d card? The radeon seems to do it all on one card. Does anyone have experience of video editing with one or both of the cards? Does anyone know about the differences between the cards for editing - can I use studio 7 for both?
    Thanks for any help
    Luke

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Studio 7 is editing software, the Pinnacle analogue capture card is DC10+. This is an MJPEG capture card and the video is stored as an AVI file. You will need a good nVidia graphics card (using OpenGL) to speed up the real time playback during editing.

The Studio 7 software is very good, and exceptionally good value. It is especially good when used with HFXPro 3D transition graphics. I have installed this on several machines, and it gives fully professional results. When you buy DC10+ you get the capture card and Studio 7 software. Studio 7 will also edit DV if you have a 1394 "Firewire" port.

The ATi card which has video input is the All-in-one-Wonder, but this captures in MPEG2 format which is not so flexible for editing.

I hope this helps.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please check out Canopus offerings as well. I spent a lot of money to no avail before I discovered Canopus. Now a happy 'Storm' owner, although this may be overkill for you. Check out the 'raptor' series for good value.

4. Floandal

Floandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Studio Deluxe AV/DC card converts the footage from captured analogue to digital, using hardware on the card Luke, but will only capture into Studio 7 - (which is the best of the entry level editing apps anyhow) - you can then render to an AVI, and edit in another app. if you so wish.
    But the Canopus AVDC100 is in my opinion a more veratile option for analogue capture. it is an external device which plugs into a firewire port, and also converts analogue to digital, but will capture via any application.
    Alan.