1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 7500 problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dubbing Mixer, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am getting vertical artifacts on the overlay and video output using one of these. The same or similar artifacts are visible on the DOS boot up screens. I have tried a variety of drivers and DVD players, not to mention bios and powerstrip settings. All exhibit the same problem. Some settings also show the problem on the 'normal' computer screen. Am I missing something or do I have a duff card. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bump!

C'mon guys. I can't believe none of you has an opinion on this.

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bump!

One more try or I'll have to get another card...

4. digitalman

digitalman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having something similar with my Radeon 9700 Pro....I talked to a guy at Best Buy today and he said my S/Video cable may be bad. If it's appearing on the regular TV input, it could be the TV. My TV picture is perfect, but I get a scrolling white bar across my screen when I do TV out...not sure other than that.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this is happening on the PC monitor and overlay on that, as well as the video outputs.

Best of luck with your problem, but i doubt it is the same one.

6. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    a complete guess, as I don't know much about these things :) is is the grpahics card sharing an IRQ with anything? Things are supposed to play nicely with IRQ sharing these days, but you never know! If there's a card in the slot right next to the AGP slot you might try moving that as most motherboards put those two slots on the same IRQ channel.

I could of course be totally wrong :D

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks nutcase, good point!

Except this was in a Shuttle 51 with one (unoccupied) PCI slot and one AGP slot with the Radeon in it. However, you idea is sufficiently sensible to make me want to try the card in a different PC to check. I'll do it when I have a couple of hours to spare. You know how these things always go.....

8. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when u say coloured artefacts do you mean different coloured pixels, or some sort of interference?
    if it is interference then the normal advice would be to try and move it to another slot. if it is pixel level, and you see it at a dos prompt level then this is before any drivers are running and therefore it sounds like a fairly low level problem. the easiest thing to do is to try swapping things as a process of elimination.
    good luck

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Webloader,

Thanks for the reply.

On the DOS screens it is goups of pixels vertically about 1 pixel wide. (B&W) Once booted into Windows 2k with some drivers it behaves perfectly in 'normal' pc modes E.g. 1024X768 32 bit until you open up a video overlay window. Then you get vertical columns of 1 or 2 pixels wide at regular intervals across the overlay but not full overlay screen height. They are mostly (but not exclusively) red.

Will try it in another PC and see what happens when I have a couple of hours to spare.

10. Steiner83

Steiner83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My very first post :).

Anyways, I´m an owner of a Radeon 7500, Eizo 21" and a AE100. I have noticed similar vertical banding artifacts when displaying DVDs on both screens. However, when using only one of the ports (either the VGA or DVI) ´the vertical banding has dissapear. I assume this has to do with the hardware features of the card, i.e. it´s too slow or smth to display two good quality pictures.

11. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello Steiner83,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy posting as well as reading.

Thank you for sharing the info about the 7500, I'll have another look now and see if I can improve it.

12. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Dubbing Mixer,
    I don't think it's a driver issue cos the problems still there on the POST/ boot up page, to def find out if the cards duff your going to have to find another machine to try it on.
    If it turns out ok on your other machine,check your monitors VGA cable HD-15 connector does it have any bent pins etc.
    You mention VGA & S-video what are you using for viewing? are you using ATI's dual (& crap) vid output?
    Happy New doo-dah
    Tim

13. Steiner83

Steiner83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I also have the same problems during boot-up, when BOTH of the screens are connected. The inferior picture quality does not appear as obvious as when I'm displaying DVD-content, but the banding is still there.

Try with a single screen and see if the same problem appears.

14. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks both.

I was using a single screen and had the same effects as Steiner. I.e. artifacts at their worst with DVD.

Haven't had a chance to try again today.