Raconteurs - Why?

soundstory

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now I fully expect fans to jump down my throat on this.......

I watched Raconteurs on Radio 1 Big Weekend & though I've seen them else where, I sat through it and just hated it.

They are so bloody 70's retro. I just found the whole thing one big yawn.

Am I the only person who feels this way??

I expected better from Jack & Brendan, it just seems like a vanity project...

Probably best way to start a flame war on here lol.

I like 'em. If you didnt like the music on its own merits, fair enuf, but the retro thing shouldnt matter. Its hard to be unique nearly 40 years on in any genre after people like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Kraftwerk, Abba etc have all stamped their marks so firmly on the music scene, any group sounding similiar can be accused of being retro.

Just enjoy it or otherwise on its own merits .....

The Raconteurs are ok, second album better than the first. Bensons solo work however is outstanding, he should get back to that asap!

Hi all,

Now I fully expect fans to jump down my throat on this.......

I watched Raconteurs on Radio 1 Big Weekend & though I've seen them else where, I sat through it and just hated it.

They are so bloody 70's retro. I just found the whole thing one big yawn.

Am I the only person who feels this way??

I expected better from Jack & Brendan, it just seems like a vanity project...
Not big on the White Stripes either, but I have to agree. Just another boring 70's retro band.

Not a question of 'hard to be original', nowadays no-one seems interested in trying to be. :(

Not a question of 'hard to be original', nowadays no-one seems interested in trying to be. :(

Ah ha! Now you've set me up for my favourite arguement ;)

ie, you cannot be original any more.

Surely everything has been done. With PCs and the internet and the way everybody thinks of making it big and the cheapness of music making equipment, do you not think that pretty much ALL the combinations of musical notes has been put together already in the hope of being the next new big thing?

Of course we'll still get good music, but original music??? I can't see it.

i think the Raconteurs are a fantastic band , watched the Radio 1 thing and thought it was OK ,also saw them live last year and they blew the crowd away

Jack White is one of the most talented musicians i have ever seen

Ah ha! Now you've set me up for my favourite arguement ;)

ie, you cannot be original any more.

Surely everything has been done. With PCs and the internet and the way everybody thinks of making it big and the cheapness of music making equipment, do you not think that pretty much ALL the combinations of musical notes has been put together already in the hope of being the next new big thing?

Of course we'll still get good music, but original music??? I can't see it.

There is always the opportunity to make original music. Even using well worn existing types as a template.

However, as before, bands don't even try.

For example, if I hear one more, note perfect, 'new wave' act I'll bloody scream! :mad:

PC's, internet, technology just makes things easier to replicate, they do not stunt the capacity for new ideas.

I am trying to think who the quote was atrributed to, but a classical musician from hundreds of years ago thought at that time that every possible tune that could be written has been written....

Have to disagree with this, ok there are riffs and sequences that are similar, but saying people can't write original material is a bit strong. I love Stereolab for example, and all their stuff is very similiar, but each tune is different and has its own nuances, but you know its them because of the overall sound.

Some of the stuff from Icky Thump by the White Stripes sounded like Led Zep, but not any of their songs in particular.

Besides, I don't remember the White Stripes or Raconteurs making music with PC's or tools off the internet ? Kinda makes that arguement void.

do you not think that pretty much ALL the combinations of musical notes has been put together already in the hope of being the next new big thing?

Enough monkeys, enough pianos etc? Any vaguely competent mathematician (remember, that's what music is, maths in real time) can work out that there's no way that every combination has been produced.

Retro yes! But it's also honest and real sounding unlike a lot of other stuff out there!

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom