1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racking to complement TMA gear.

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by rolski, Jan 23, 2005.

1. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I currently own a 100x7R:10, an AV32R & a DVD32R, and am awaiting delivery of a T32R & a 250x3R to finish off my system (all in black).

The relevance of asking this question in the TMA forum & not in the AV Stands section is because (as you'll no doubt agree) the TMA gear is exceptionally attractive, so I'd like to know what racking / stands you're all using that complements the TMA "look" & will accept 5 pieces of equipment.

I'm also looking for some horizontal wall-mounted CD & DVD shelving for over 1500 CD's (!), but that can definitely be dealt with elsewhere.

2. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi There,

I currently use a Stands Unique rack system which I think complement the Tag range very well. I chose 10mm thick glass plate for the components to individually rest on. Its pricey but well worth the money.

Here their web address www.standsunique.com

Cheers

Steve

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. muellec3

muellec3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there
    I'm using a solidsteel rack called 6.4. I think it looks grat and compliments my TAG-gear.
    You can order them in black and silver...:D
    Cheers
    Chris

4. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys - so far so good - as I haven't seen either of these companies before.
    :smashin:

Seems like the other forum contributors - who usually have so much to say for themselves - all stack their components on top of each other & then squeeze them into the cheapest IKEA bookcase they can find....
    :eek:

5. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Quadraspire table as I canadd more and more shelves as I get various kit past the wife! Currently at eight shelves with space for more!!
    They also do legs sizes that suit Tag gear nicely (see picture).

Attached Files:

6. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Stands Unique for me as well :)

7. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    And me

8. hoosterw

hoosterw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use creaktiv midi reference 5-1 and a 4-1 (www.creaktiv.cc) and in aluminium/black they suit my silver TAG's great.
    After all, silver is THE look not black (BAh!).

Just an opinion.

Hans

9. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  10. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The solidsteel & standsunique are looking the best at the moment - in my personal opinion of course. :smashin:

Oh, and I thought black was the colour ? Damn, will have to change ALL my kit then.... :rolleyes:

Any more rack ideas / photos out there ?

11. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 2 of the 3 shelf silver Solidsteel racks - they are very sleek & compliment both my TMC gear (both black) & my Bryston amps (silver) :thumbsup:

12. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine's Atacama

Attached Files:

13. Burgy100

Burgy100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So what are you going for Rolski

:hiya:

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I didn't like what was on offer re racks for my Tag equipment. I have always had 'reservations' re glass and metal. I therefore designed and built four of my own 5 way'ers. They sound as good as anything I have seen and look pretty good. The only stands I liked were £2500 each and I needed 5!! Have a stack of old Target TT2 left now!

15. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  16. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All

Well, here's my rack. All structural parts turned/machined from solid aluminium. Shelves powder coated mdf.

I love it but not at all cheap!

Attached Files:

17. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's still a really difficult decision - my T32R arrived last Friday, and my second amp will be here soon, so I HAVE to make a decision, otherwise there's nowhere to put it all !
    The problem I have is room-width, because I've my 2 front's outermost, a TV + centre in the middle, and "equipment" filling the gaps :

N803 - sub+vid+SKY - TV+HTM1 - TAG(all!) - N803

I think that one rack with five shelves can be too high (I'm trying to keep it all below the bottom of a window ledge - and my projection screen will not be able to be fully lowered), so 2* three-shelf units (same arrangement as Kallenby) seems like a good idea, but then I'll have to relocate my sub, and the additional length of cabling between the two (straddling the TV-centre) might present problems.

I could also put all my kit along a side-wall, but then it will all be in the direct firing-line of my fronts & sub - and would of course remove some space that's currently occupied.

Decisions decisions ! I think the SolidSteel look really cool, but Johnson's thrown a spanner in the works by showing a smart Atacama set-up....

18. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    My racking is made by Hutter http://www.hutter.co.at/page.asp?PAGE_ID=30&L_ID=7 an Austrian firm. Again, not cheap, but you can be very flexible in terms of how you organise things woth the different shelving heights and widths, along with the different length 'poles'.

Attached Files:

19. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that a DVD32R and an FLR? Now that's just greedy! I was about to buy a CD20T to add to my DVD32r but bottled it as it was overkill! Any particular reason for both models or just a TAG addiction?

20. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think he is just preparing for the future, after 6 years time is over (Graham's estimation) :) :D :zonked:

21. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    They are damn expensive for the piece of wood, even here in domestic market, but yes, they do look great. :smashin:
    I even heard few people claiming they "sound" good :thumbsdow :suicide:

22. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Phil,

Well maybe greedy, maybe mad. But then there's also a DPA and an AV32!

The story goes like this -

I found that the DVD32R was a LOT better with CDs than my CDT. Given the apparent fragility of the toploader I wanted to keep it just for music. The laser mechanism was replaced about 15 months ago. I was then reluctant to return the DVD32R for the PSM add-on to be fitted given the way the toploaded is prone to transit damage.

Also the synch link is connected to the DPA32R as it improves music much more than films. The AV32R is a 7.1 24/96 unit and not as good with music as the DPA that has the 24/192 DAC.

So I now use the toploader soley for CDs and the FLR (fitted with PSM ) for DVDs ( and background music) synch linked to the AV32R.

It makes thing a bit complicated at times as the two DVD players seem to get confused as to which one I want to operate with the remote :laugh: but I get round that in true Blue Peter style!

You must make up your own mind whether thats greed or insanity. I tend to think the later. But I am in two minds about it :zonked:

23. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's a picture of my 2 x 3 shelf solidsteel racks,

Attached Files:

24. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes, they are expensive, but beautifully made, and very flexible in terms of what you can do. It's pretty difficult to find a rack that will house an HTM2.

As for sounding good, I dunno :suicide:. As we all know, the TAG kit sounds great whatever it's sitting on :thumbsup: .There may be some validity in the metal vs wood vs glass vs mdf argument but let's not get into that here.

25. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another rack to throw into the mix ! I've taken a look at the Finite-Element Pagode "Signature" this weekend - looks pretty snazzy & is not smeared in too much snake-oil, which I don't think is entirely true of the "Master Reference"....

Anyone have any experience of Finite Elemente products ?

http://www.finite-elemente.de/e,,products.html

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Nice to see people using proper speakers with TAG kit, can't be bettered for the money. Nice. :smashin:

27. Bhavik

Bhavik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me or have you got a huge fancy toaster sat in front of your kit?

28. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I do. I find that the new DV Audiolab toaster32r nearby grounds eddie currents well and makes the bass tighter and the highs more natural...... And it makes the best toast in the world.

Well spotted, in truth I am currently in the middle of having an extension built so the toaster (and a hell of lot more besides) were resident in the living room that day! Almost back to normal now, and because the living room has changed shape, I'm going to TMREQ the room again (which I'm secretly looking forward to!)!

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    sad git... ;)

30. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use a Stands Unique Extended AV 10mm glass 3 shelf stand. I can get three 250MR amps on the bottom shelf, centre speaker on the centre, AV192R next to a T32R and DVD32R stacked, on the top. By using the Isolation floor slab, there is 80mm of space at the bottom, to fit a SKY+, Pace Twin Tuner and/or a T32R. As the latter unit seems to run cool, this does not seem to be a problem. As the bottom shelf of the AV10 is staggered forward, the amps can be extended forwards to at least allow some of the ventilation slots to be clear of the shelf above. I believe it is essential to have plenty of ventilation. TAG recommended 100mm above units. I have had a PSU failure of my AV192R, which I put down to overheating, it does get very hot. Bear in mind that TAG gear is 445mm wide, so you need at least 900mm, there are quite a few Hi-Fi cabinets, such as Ercol and Arcam, which are not this wide The SKY and PACE boxes have built in fans. Beautiful as the gear is to look at, there is an argument for hiding some of it away, TAG recommended long interconnects and short speaker cables, though good quality audio I/Cs can prove to be expensive.

The chunky wood supports on the stands unique are easy to shorten by using a sharp chop saw, I took 50mm off mine, to allow the screen to come down lower, but bear in mind the note about ventilation.