Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR - 21-03-2020: Lets start a box league

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Wooo FINALLY! MP and Physics Simulation Update arrives 3rd October.

After several failed update submissions (due to Sony's arguably justified stringent QA criteria), the developper finally passes the Sony approval for their year long promised (yes a a bloody year) Multiplayer update which also includes physics simulation mode (the aspect I was personally most looking forward to) andnew scenarios.

From their FB page:
🎉Today's the day! 🎉We've just received the certification results and we're good to go!
📢We happily announce that Racket Fury finally gets Online Multiplayer for PSVR next week! How exciting is that!?🤩

Yes! The update will bring you 3 new sceneries (Day/Night option) and new Simulation Mode with more realistic (and less forgiving ;-) physics. As for now, it will not support cross-play but we don't say 'no' for the future ;-)

BUT I would personally advise all of you excited for this update to be prepared and don't raise hopes too high for the start. Small developpers (Firewall Zero Hour being a notorious example) often breaks their games with major big updates and this developper seems to me a one man develloper with sub contracts who is learning the tough road of developping and maintaining games. He had major problems with the Occulus Quest version.

Fingers crossed it all works well. Also, this won't be cross play with Occulus and Steam versions so multiplayer might be a sparse world if looking for random players.

I abandoned the game a few months ago and had moved on but now looking forward to playing a freind of mine and to the new simulation mode as the game turned out way too arcadey in the latter levels.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Yeah you already created a thread on that a while back and I made a comment about one concerning difference is that vr ping pong opponent doesn't have an animated body. Just a bat floating in the air! Might feel disconcerting coming off racket fury. Seeing the body motion of oppo can give a sense of what shot is to come just as in real life. But we'll see. I like the realistic settings though, that looks to set it apart in positive way. It's also by the same developper who made the more primitive ping pong vr (yeah their titles will never confuse their customers!) which actually has simulated physics unlike racket fury but just no where near as fun to play. But we'll see as I am absolutely getting that one too!

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Wow, brilliant, brilliant.

This update absolutely rocks and no bugs that I can so far.

1. new sceneries.

Makes a helluva improvement to the playing atmosphere. 6 sceneries. I like the future scenery with flying flatfishes but there is the more realistic leisure centre scenery to feel more at home. The original scenery was a bland 2 dimensional image of space that had invisible floor that the ball bounced on. Now these new environments feels real and adds to the immersion. Huge improvement.

2. Simulation mode. This is the one I have been craving for most of all....and it does not disappoint. Simulation mode is now as real as it gets to reality. All my shots are noticeable harder to perform with no assist. Although I am a club player, I think this will be terrific for beginners to practice in complement to real TT. I am sure casual and club players will welcome this mode as I do.

3. AI opponent's difficulty level, far better balanced with less cheating "teleportation" moves.

For the bloody first time, I was able to clean sweep a third tier opponent. Never could do this before as the opponents suddenly become cheatingly invincible (ie almost teleporting to positions to hit the ball), and can only be beaten if you hold a rally long enough (really long) and then suddenly they would either mis-hit or miss an easy shot, in a obviously programmed way. It was at this point that the game lost its value and gained immense disappointment from me as everything rocked until this point. But no anymore. I look forward to completing the single player tournament now.

Having said that, I wonder if its because I am now using simulation mode that I am able to beat them?

4. Multiplayer.

I Played two matches with a random player. And oh my, what a brilliant experience. It all feels so fluid and we can play our shots as in real life BUT warning, because opponents are real, their shots can potentially have you moving in a great deal more space than normal single player mode so be sure to clear your surroundings, otherwise.

I have not yet tried direct match as my friend is work normal office hours (I am self employed flexi hours).

I am not a multiplayer kind of guy, but this game is an exception. I am willing, strike that, humbly eager to play this frequently online with those of you that have this game. I can only play on days I am not playing real table tennis and squash (my main sport) because my body needs a rest after an intense workout session and also I don't want to be having another shower and change of clothes...I sweat buckets after an physically active VR session!

My PS username is THEYCALLMETEJ (note: the E, so not TJ but Tej...as friends call me TJ and Tej)

Summary

This is it. The ultimate sports game that simulates reality to almost the fullest because of the equal matching of real to virtual space. The only restrictions is of course due to the length of the PSVR cable you can't move further back when opponent smashes so you can play spin counter attacks from far back and I guess also around the table sides as sometimes in real TT, we could find ourselves in that position. Oh and of course limitations of your own living room space.

They fixed a major problem in that AI difficulty balance (without even saying so, probably because they may not want to admit there was a problem in the first place!)...

Will be intersting to see what the upcoming VR Ping Pong has to offer in comparison because one big difference I see that I mentioned in the last post is the PP does not have a simulated body on the opponent, just a floating bat. That's sounds like an immersion killer to me. It's ironic too because their previous game PingPong VR HAD a body for its AI opponents, a blocky minecraft style with limited sliding left and right motions. But I feel seeing an opponent body motion can make a difference to anticipating their shots. We'll see.

This is PSVR in supreme form and personally, for me a great way to mark the 3 year glorious anniversary and my own 2 year anniversary of owning this awesome gadget.

Last edited:

Soundmangt4

Sounds like this is finally worth buying! Will get this as soon as I get home next week!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I think I own this already, I might actually have to play it now :D

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Mulitplayer thoughts

Went on this today. Again, was a blast in multiplayer. However, despite the fact I am not experienced with multiplayer in general, I do notice some shortfalls that I know exist with other multiplayer games. There is no leaderboard or even history of the games you've played. I would personally love to see a history of my online games I played...although, that's probably not a standard thing with any multiplayer gaming, right? But I am sure world rankings is common, right?

I reckon there needs to be some kind of goal incentives.

And I will also re-iterate, in multiplayer, some opponents like to play shots to the table sides more frequently so having a lot of width in your playing area is highly recommended if you can manage it. In single player mode, you can get away with a narrower playing space as the AI opponents rarely hit to the sides...though sometimes they do, just very rarely.

Comparisons to Quest version

I was reading some comments on the Reddit and one person who has both PSVR and Occuluis Quest versions made a very interesting comparison. He says PSVR is by far the superior version despite being tethered for the following two reasons:

1. PSVR refresh rate has 120hz refresh rate providing fluid visuals to the ball fast pace motions. The Occus Quest, meagre 72hz doesn't come close to the PSVR fluidity.

2. Despite out groans on Move controllers in FPS games, they rule supreme over Occulus Touch controllers as it actually feels like you are holding a table tennis bat whereas occulus touch controller feels awkward.

3. The move controller also provides a realistic haptic feedback to the bat and ball impact....something I didn't even appreciate until today, as I realise the haptic feedback indeed feels so real but I just took it for granted and never appreciated it. If that haptic feedback was switched off, I bet we would notice the difference in a very negative way. But this guy says the Occulus Touch haptic feedback is vastly inferior.

Interesting comparisons and of course it means we can be proud of our version.

I actually still intend to buy the Quest at some point mainly for Racket Fury and Creed. The drawbacks might not be as big a compromise for its untethered freedom and its just serves as an additional VR support to my PSVR for when I want portability.

Torranach

So I gave this a go last night, and it really is very good. Well worth £8 of anybody's money. I haven't braved the multiplayer yet, but might try that over the weekend.

Soundmangt4

I've just had my first play on this and the physics are incredible. I used to play league table tennis and instantly felt right at home playing this. Only had a quick practice but absolutely loved it. Will have to try online multiplayer when I have a free evening!

scfc73

Returned to this last night & love the update, not attempted multiplayer yet as i abandoned multiplayer games after getting tired of abuse on the 360, my ps4 experience has been totally one of solitude! glad the developers have added to this great game though, I might dip my toe in multiplayer for this game & if the experience is a positive one then i'm tempted to buy sparc while it's on sale too.

oakwood49

For Multiplayer, Why don't you add people from on here mate at least that way if you get abused you know who it was lol

Ps. Can recommend sparc. And that cheap 3.99 tennis game if you like racket fury

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Hey guys

For those of us that strive on competitive sport for fitness or those us willing to just give it a go during this challenging times in social distancing, I would like us to attempt (and hopefully succeed!) in starting up a PSVR table tennis box league for all standards from beginners to advanced, using this game. I was trying to play online opponents only to find...I am the only in the one whole world in the online lounge! This was hour ago, 1pm, Saturday...at a time of mass home bound isolation! But I know it works well but as I say I have my real sports that keep me fit and healthy...until now of course. There are no tournaments on the PSVR version (on Quest and Rift, it seems to be rocking), hence this suggestion.

I am an all-round racket sports player (Squash, Badminton, Tennis, Table Tennis) and squash coach. Over the decades I have enjoyed participating in club leagues which all have almost the same structure that caters for all abilities from beginners to advance.

We call it box leagues. So say there are 50 players. We have ten ranked boxes consisting of 5 players each. Every player plays each other in each league box. Every league lasts, say 2 weeks (in clubs, its usually a month but as this is a home bound league, we can shorten this period considerably). The top two players in each box promotes to the box above and bottom two players relegates to lower box. Every one arrange their matches themselves in their own time and winner submit the results to the organiser.

We can all take turns to host/organise the leagues or I am very happy to do so ongoing.

In parallel, we can also do a ladder league, where every player plays whoever they like and we record the results.

Let me know if you keen or if you have better suggestions. Only question is how many of you got this game?! @Lancia34 , @scfc73 ...oh no, just you two, lol.

I would love to a friendly game with any of you, regardless, if you have time. My PSN is THEYCALLMETEJ.

Last edited:

Soundmangt4

Only just seen this, and I have the game. I've been Furloughed for the next couple of months. I'm sure I could find time for a game or two. I used to play league table tennis, but it was a long time ago! Add me!

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
That's great Soundmangt4! I'll scrap the box league idea given the overwhelming response, lol.

Lepego

Standard Member
I'll add you too later for a few games down the road, TheyCallMeTJ! Still not enough for your 50 player box league, but it should be fun.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Thanks Lepego, I look forward to that!

I just had an excellent session with Soundmangt4 . (@Soundmangt4 I hope you enjoyed it too).

Lepego

Standard Member
Just played a session with TheyCallMeTJ, nearly an hour of continuous hitting! It was my first online session with this game and I was surprised by how well it works. My internet surely ain't the greatest but bar the occasional slow moving ball not a single problem to report, hopefully the same goes for my sparring partner (also hoping the left paddle issue was something you can fix and not related to the online component?). Sidenote: still impressed by how well the PS Moves work here, excellent tracking for a piece of hardware from 2009.

Anyway, very entertaining stuff and TJ hit some lovely points. Had to play muted due to practical issues with the current lockdown (plus my headphones don't fit the headset) so not sure if you were talking to me, sorry for that then if you asked me things. :D I haven't played this game for quite some time and never tried the difference between simulation/arcade, again apologies for that misunderstanding and we'll figure that out next time. Thanks for the matches, TJ, I'll try to stick around in this community as a newbie if this is the level of interaction on here. :thumbsup:

Lepego

Standard Member
2. Simulation mode. This is the one I have been craving for most of all....and it does not disappoint. Simulation mode is now as real as it gets to reality. All my shots are noticeable harder to perform with no assist. Although I am a club player, I think this will be terrific for beginners to practice in complement to real TT. I am sure casual and club players will welcome this mode as I do.
Damn, the simulation mode feels completely different than the arcade one! I couldn't get any hold of the mechanics, the few shots I did make v you seemed all luck. Everything else went wide or in the net, despite not really putting any power behind it like in arcade mode. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong as my serve seemed to work as good as in arcade mode with mostly decent attempts, but things like the returns were just impossible for me. Even simple blocking on your shots that weren't fast balls ended up long.

I don't have any real life experience with TT though, so I believe you when you say this is the best mode and super realistic (plus you obviously mastered this mode, you dicked me real good with shots I just can't pull off!) I'll try to hit a few rounds in simulation mode v CPU during the weekend and perhaps it's simply a matter of practice to get the hang of it ... but I did miss the energy from arcade mode where you can hit some forgiving power balls and still have longer rallies! Nonetheless very cool to see this game getting all the support after release for its selling price. Or, like so many other games of course, it was released too soon. :D

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
@Lepego @Soundmangt4 Thanks so much to both of you for these matches. Pretty much all of our sessions were an hour long. You guys have tremendously helped my mental health! I hope both of you gained as much benefit. They were all one helluva workout for me. Each session we had, I treated these sessions as if I am going to play squash at my sports centre...ie wearing shorts and t shirt, headband (which btw I always wear to prevent sweaty contact with the headset which I recommend if you any of you dont use ), then afterwards I do cool down stretches and then head to the shower.

What a saviour this PSVR is turning out to be in these dark and challenging times. And same for RacketFury. I bow to the developers...and to Sony!

Following up on Lepego's post above, yes indeed...simulation mode is a very different kettle of fish and it really is almost real physics. But as you don't actually play table tennis in the real world, I am more than happy to play Arcade if you are up for more matches with me. Perhaps we can alternate. Just to add, I absolutely do believe that playing simulation mode can actually improve table tennis skills in the real world. Good idea to play simulation mode with AI as the AI opponents are very good players, although not exactly demonstraing text book posture imho!

It appears for online matches, that every venue has a fixed mode, simulation or arcade. The tournament venue with the flying giant whales (or giant flat fishes?) is an arcade mode venue. The sports hall venue is a simulation mode venue. But in single player mode against AI, we can play either mode freely in any venue.

Fantastic stuff, guys. Thanks again. I hope we can have more sessions with each other and more players joining in.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon

Trending threads

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 12th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
QDC Blue Dragon earphones on sale in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving