Quantcast

Rack mount router suggestions?

Zigourney

I did spend a few mins playing with the settings, but not nearly enough time to be honest, it was getting late at night and I was quite tired. I'll obviously dig into once I've got the router set up and the installation is fully complete.

During my brief testing last night I believe my iphone 11 pro stuck to the 5ghz band consistently as I probably woudn't have got 300/50up throughout my house on the 2.4ghz band with it being slower, but saying that did read the specs of the AP-HD stating that the 2.4ghz band can do 800mbps.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep, I had forgotten to put my 2.4 at 40MHz bandwidth so that improves it a bit so I am getting 100Mbps+ in all rooms.

My iPhone seems to switch quite a bit 2.4 and 5 GHz but will see how it goes.

I am not that convinced about Auto on channels either as it stuck with 1 for a long for example. All my neighbours seem to be on that so I manually moved to 11 as no one was there. Now next doors BT thing has swapped there tooo :devil:

Zigourney

Any joy yet?

Assume you have power cycled the bt fibre convertor?
:( I gave up around 1am last night - no joy. Plugged the BT router back in and just left it at that because it was getting late. I'm at the office now so not at home. I did ring BT first thing this morning when I got into the office to double check the default login details and the guy on the phone said he will check my account to confirm FTTP and email me all the required details. I did request he provides me with all details including the DNS settings. I got an email reply just now with only the username and password, and it looks different one to the one I used last night. Do I need to put in any default DNS settings, or will that auto populate after a successful PPoE authentication?

This is the details the BT help desk provided via email, he didnt include anything else.. I did ask for the DNS settings:

PPoE
username: [email protected]
Password: BT

Im pretty sure I tried that one as well from searching on google last night. Will try again when get home this evening...and yes I did power cycle the entire rack a couple of times, no joy.

Zigourney

I would be interested to know the perceived differences between out of the box vs installing the noctua’s.
Well I can tell you the USG Pro fan noise out of the box is freaking annoying! its got a very loud high pitched whine to it, I can hear the high pitched sound from the office next door and the rack is in a closed door closet! As soon as I get it working properly and all set up im swapping over the fans! The only other equipment in my rack that has fans in it is my NVR (with the noctua fan mod in it) and that's whisper quite with the closet door open - barely audible, and silent from the outside with the door closed.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Isn't that just a standard bt test account?

When I had BT vdsl or ADSL services whilst your modem would sync, it needed a personal account to be able to access the internet. Is that stool the same with fibre?

I am on VM at the moment and that is just based on the MAC address of the SuperHub router.

Zigourney

Isn't that just a standard bt test account?

When I had BT vdsl or ADSL services whilst your modem would sync, it needed a personal account to be able to access the internet. Is that stool the same with fibre?

I am on VM at the moment and that is just based on the MAC address of the SuperHub router.
Its just a generic username and password needed for PPoE authentication when using your own supplied router. Its not linked to any personal account. Anyone using their own equipment on the BT FTTP network have to use the same generic login/password.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Its just a generic username and password needed for PPoE authentication when using your own supplied router. Its not linked to any personal account. Anyone using their own equipment on the BT FTTP network have to use the same generic login/password.
So that's definitely different to the FTTC one where you have a specific user.

How do they identify who is using what particular circuit?

Zigourney

So that's definitely different to the FTTC one where you have a specific user.

How do they identify who is using what particular circuit?
No idea mate.

But I do know we connect through the fibre ONT (modem), and each ONT device serial number is registered to a customer account, so maybe its all picked up from the ONT.

Last edited:

Puntoboy

Somebody on this forum must have a USG and BT FTTP service lol
I cant be the only one, hoping someone would post some guidance for me. I've been trawling through google all morning and can't seem to find a definitive answer for BT FFTP setup.
Not a USG but I am using a EdgeRouter-X with BT FTTP.

password: bt

Zigourney

Not a USG but I am using a EdgeRouter-X with BT FTTP.

password: bt
hmmm thats different to the one I got this morning from BT help desk. This is really confusing me now!

So assume you connect your ONT via ethernet to the WAN port on the router and the lan port on your router to your switch? and Set PPoE with the username and password - thats it and you get an internet connection?

No other settings need to be populated in the Edgerouter?

Puntoboy

This is a screenshot of the wizard page that I used to configure it. Just selected the correct interface, PPPoE and entered the username and password.

1579525627629.png

Zigourney

This is a screenshot of the wizard page that I used to configure it. Just selected the correct interface, PPPoE and entered the username and password.

View attachment 1247275

Are the Edgerouters configured by web gui and wizards? I thought they were mostly done by CLI and thats the reason why I didnt bother looking into it properly? Maybe I should have bought a rackmounted edgerouter then??

EDIT: Good job I ordered from Amazon. I'll have a play this evening and if I cant get the damn thing to work I'm sending it back for a refund and will grab an Edgerouter.

Puntoboy

Are the Edgerouters configured by web gui and wizards? I thought they were mostly done by CLI and thats the reason why I didnt bother looking into it properly? Maybe I should have bought a rackmounted edgerouter then??
Both. There are some things that are CLI only, like the OpenVPN setup, but the basics are GUI based.

There's absolutely no reason why your USG shouldn't be working.

Zigourney

Both. There are some things that are CLI only, like the OpenVPN setup, but the basics are GUI based.

There's absolutely no reason why your USG shouldn't be working.
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'll have another play with it this evening. I'll do a full reset of the USG when I get home and start over. Will look into the edgerouters too now.

Puntoboy

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'll have another play with it this evening. I'll do a full reset of the USG when I get home and start over. Will look into the edgerouters too now.
Does your ONT have two Ethernet ports? ARe you using the correct one? What errors are you seeing?

Zigourney

3D6CD28F-DE16-4549-AB07-12438D243189.jpeg

only 1 WAN port, the yellow one. This connects to the wan port of the USG via ethernet, and my desktop connects to the LAN1 port of the USG via switch (also tried direct connecting it but made no difference). Went into the controller and configured WAN settings with PPoE settings as mentioned earlier. No other settings touched, and I cannot get on line.

I didnt configure any ipv4 or ipv6 firewall settings that you have selected, need to have another play tonight.

Last edited: