Rack Advice

Scott28

Established Member
Reaction score
As you will be able to tell from the image I have uploaded, my AV equipment is not in the most aesthetically pleasing housing.

Current gear in this "faux AV cupboard" - Top To bottom
Top Shelf = AC Infinity Fans x 2 (USB Powered) / Denon AVRx3300W
2nd Shelf = Sky Q / Apple TV / nVidia Shield
3rd Shelf = Playstation 4 / Sonos Connect
4th Shelf = Xbox One / Sonos Bridge
5th / Bottom Shelf = Netgear Nighthawk R800 / CCTV DVR / Netgear GS724
Floor = Synology DS918+ NAS / Virgin Media Modem / Philips Hue Bridge

Now I have created a spreadsheet with the dimensions on the components and using an online Rack unit coversion and I have (poorly) designed what I think will be a far superior (wife acceptable) solution.

My First question is a incredibly stupid one that I can probably answer myself however I would appreciate guidance, my PS4 according to the measurements = 1.24 U's (rack units) does this mean in order to accommodate it in the rack it will require 2 U's of Rack space (I told you it was a stupid question) or is the a 1/4 Rack Unit wiggle room there and can count it as one U ?? Same question for the Xbox One which is measured at 1.8 U's ??

I hope I am being clear.

Secondly, I have drawn up a very basic layout of what I hope to achieve to aid in power management and more specifically cable management, I have included this crude drawing, can anyone advise if I am correct in my logic and anything they would advise.

I am considering purchasing the Penn Elcom R8400-28 which I believe is a 19" width and 28U rack (49" or 124cm)

Can anyone also recommend a good solution to 16x power requirements, UK plugs, I was just going to use 3U's with a brush plate in-between and install 2x 8 Way PDU.

Any advice, comments and concerns are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 22.39.58.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 22.39.58.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 182

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom