• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Racing Games ?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Im just waiting for the sainsburys man to deliver the week supply of pies and then im off to pick up FIFA 09.
Im going to do some trade ins and I suspect mine are gonna be over the value of FIFA, so money left over basically.
Now I have never really been one for racing games but fancy giving the genre another go. Can anyone please recommend a racer that is more weighted to arcade fans ? Really not bothered about realism etc just want something thats gonna be fun. Online would be a bonus but not essential, oh and I should say i already have Burnout: Paradise.

Thanks upfront for any replies :thumbsup:

Nuggsy

Established Member
Depends on your definition but I would consider GRID an arcade racer. It's not the hell for leather of say Burnout Paradise or Sega Rally.
It's probably similar to PGR4 with a damage model.

There you go 2 recommendations PGR4 & GRID (in that order!)

Magus

Prominent Member
If you like Sim like handling go with Forza 2 if you want arcade style action I would choose Burnout Paradise & Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (both GREAT games). If you want to pick up a bargain arcade racer then Sega Rally can be had for around £5-10. I like ALL of them :D If you have a PS3 then I would also highly recommend Ferrari Challenge as a sim option.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Really needs to be something that i can just pickup and have a quick blast on every now and then. Got to say I thought GRID fell in to that "drving Sim" category which kind of put me off, might have to give it another look !

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Pick up and play racers:

Dirt and Ridge Racer 6.

RR6 is VERY arcadey, so much so that you can drift round corners facing the wrong way. :D

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I haven't played many racers so I can't give too big an insight but here are my recommendations

100% Sim - Forza 2
Arcade Sim Crossover - PGR 4 (PGR 3 is also a decent buy)
Arcade - Burnout Paradise (Burnout 4: Revenge is also good)

RockSteddie

Established Member
Flatout Ultimate Carnage for the fun factor (and it can be picked up cheap) and GRID would be my recommendations :smashin:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Really needs to be something that i can just pickup and have a quick blast on every now and then. Got to say I thought GRID fell in to that "drving Sim" category which kind of put me off, might have to give it another look !

Not at all, amazing game and I'm loving every second of the single player career mode, see the review I added in this thread yesterday for my detailed opinions of Grid, also recommend Flatout which is another fun game, especially online where a good few of us here still meet up for an evening of Flatout now & again:)

Didn't like PGR4 one bit myself, found at least half of the single player game boring & a chore to play, still have it in my collection but after playing Grid I'm not sure I can bring myself to fire it up again.

Last edited:

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Depends on your definition but I would consider GRID an arcade racer. It's not the hell for leather of say Burnout Paradise or Sega Rally.
It's probably similar to PGR4 with a damage model.

There you go 2 recommendations PGR4 & GRID (in that order!)

Yep i agree, by what u said and the op wants it's PGR4 and GRiD. I'd go for PGR4, guarantee u would prefere that. GRiD was huge dissapointment and no longer deserves it's "race driver" name. And that's probably why it no longer Says "The Ultimate Racing SIMULATOR " on the box.:rolleyes: Cos it is in no way a sim anymore. Thats not to say it still isnt good tho.
Get PGR4. It's properly good.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
PGR4 or PGR3 are my suggestions. Loved both of them even though I am not a fan of driving games.

They have their faults and irritants, but still a blast to play. PGR4 is better than PGR3 is many areas, but PGR3 is better in others. If you want lots of achievements and a longer single player then PGR4 is better than PGR3.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
PGR4 or PGR3 are my suggestions. Loved both of them even though I am not a fan of driving games.

They have their faults and irritants, but still a blast to play. PGR4 is better than PGR3 is many areas, but PGR3 is better in others. If you want lots of achievements and a longer single player then PGR4 is better than PGR3.

yep very true and u could probably pick up unwanted disc only copies of PGR3 off ebay for buttons. (cos being packed with wheel)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I'd go for PGR4, guarantee u would prefere that. GRiD was huge dissapointment and no longer deserves it's "race driver" name. And that's probably why it no longer Says "The Ultimate Racing SIMULATOR " on the box.:rolleyes: Cos it is in no way a sim anymore..

:eek:I wouldn't gaurantee he'd prefer it, like I mentioned above, for my taste GRiD was a far better game than PGR4(each to their own I guess), it may no longer say "the ultimate racing simulator" on the box, but it does say "putting the excitement back into racing!" which for me sums the game up perfectly;)

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Cheers for all ths suggestions. Just had a root through my lil gaming box and found a copy of DiRT in there ! says on the back it has a 100 player online mode !!! *** ! surely not !?
Anyways, seems to be that GRID is thought highly of and as the PGR games are so cheap now I might aswell give them a go aswell. Incidently I downloaded WipEout on the PS3 this afternoon and I luv it. Maybe its the futuristic vibe that does it for me.......

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom