Race Driver: Create & Race

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Tetlee, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    Just been reading about this game over at pocketgamer, seems like a title with alot of promise, currently in development to be released by Codemasters(don't think a release date has been announced yet).

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Race+Driver:+Create+and+Race/news.asp?c=2851

Not only can you create your own tracks using the touchscreen but you can take them online for 4 player wifi racing! Should add alot of life to the game:)

Hope it turns out as good as it sounds, graphics look pretty good from the screens & if you flick through them you'll see the track editor which looks pretty decent and perhaps more important simple to use.

2. INSOMANiAC

INSOMANiAC
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just a shame Codemasters havent made a decent game since the Megadrive. Apart from maybe TOCA

It does look ok but Im not entirely convinced by 3d on DS.

Metroid Prime did it beautifully but it recycled a LOT of textures, other 'realistic' car games on the ds arent that great and codemasters games tend to lack polish.

Of course, its all about gameplay ! but im still pretty cautious on this one.

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    If you're including non-DS hardware (as you mentioned the megadrive ;) ) i'd have to disagree with you there.

Heatseeker for the Wii is a FANTASTIC codemasters game imo.....really good fun with great gameplay imo.

Yep, those graphics do look great don't they :D ?
    The track editor looks very promising, although I hope it's better than the Diddy Kong Racing one that sometimes adds "extra's" you didn't want :)
    Can't wait for another decent racing game on the DS and hopefully this will be Wi-Fi enabled too, allowing you to upload your efforts for others to use.

4. coluigi

coluigi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just because I wouldn't mind working for them after Uni (and you never know who's looking:rolleyes: ) Codemasters are great :smashin:

To be honest, I love Micro Machines.

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
  6. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Gamespot On The Spot were showing a brief demo of that game, looked pretty good. :)

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,820
    IGN have just reviewed this game(although rather strangely haven't given it an actual score:confused:)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/822/822491p1.html?RSSwhen2007-09-24_064400&RSSid=822491

Sounds very good to me, not short of a good few niggles but reading the review in full it certainly sounds like a worthy addition to anyones DS game collection.

The course design sounds fantastic and should give it alot of longevity, especially as you can take your creation online and race with 4 other players:)

8. Zico73

Zico73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    The scores on page 2 of the review. 7.9

:thumbsup:

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Just got this today and here are my views after 3 quick races:

Fantastic :thumbsup:. They've managed to fix quite a few things....

"I'm gunna snake round da corse" --- errrrr....no. Well, not if you want to win that is :D.

"You're goona git bloo shelled jus b4 da finis liyn" --- errrrr...no. This is a DS attempt at GTmobile...no power ups here.

"I'm taykin vis shortcut now" --- Hahaaaaaa....fixed that too. If you take a shortcut and are deemed to have benefitted (eg by stealing a few places), you can get black flagged. Cautioned at least. A quick "caution" system flashes up to remind you to stick to the tarmac :clap:.

"Why yoo little...I'm gonna knock you up well and gud innit" --- errrrr....no, yet again. A very simply damage indicator is included. Too many knocks and bumps and you'll need to pit (I like the pit sequence too). Should be quite affective at avoiding all the "use opponent in front to brake around corners" people that you find in the GT series.

.....and I haven't even tried the track editor yet. It looks like we finally have a decent racing simulator on the DS :smashin:.

PS. DO NOT undar ANY circumstances stick with the terrible behind car view. I don't know HOW people can judge corners like that. Thankfully a front bumper view and (even better) bonnet view can be set in preferences if you want.....makes the game much more satisfying.

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    My nephew is a huge fan of race games and is getting a DS for Christmas.

Anyone else got any comments on this game please?

11. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    Sounds good.

Did you ever get this game Tetlee? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

12. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Well I'm hoping it's good.

As I helped get the DS during the shortage, I'd agreed with my sister (his mum) that I'd be the one to purchase Mario Kart DS.

Unfortunately my brother nipped in and bought that anyway so I picked this up as a more serious racing alternative.

He'll love the create your own tracks element, but I just hope it's not too difficult to control for a 7 year old.