Race Driver: Create & Race

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Just been reading about this game over at pocketgamer, seems like a title with alot of promise, currently in development to be released by Codemasters(don't think a release date has been announced yet).

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Race+Driver:+Create+and+Race/news.asp?c=2851

Not only can you create your own tracks using the touchscreen but you can take them online for 4 player wifi racing! Should add alot of life to the game:)

Hope it turns out as good as it sounds, graphics look pretty good from the screens & if you flick through them you'll see the track editor which looks pretty decent and perhaps more important simple to use.

INSOMANiAC

Banned
Just a shame Codemasters havent made a decent game since the Megadrive. Apart from maybe TOCA

It does look ok but Im not entirely convinced by 3d on DS.

Metroid Prime did it beautifully but it recycled a LOT of textures, other 'realistic' car games on the ds arent that great and codemasters games tend to lack polish.

Of course, its all about gameplay ! but im still pretty cautious on this one.

G a f f e r

Just a shame Codemasters havent made a decent game since the Megadrive. Apart from maybe TOCA.
If you're including non-DS hardware (as you mentioned the megadrive ;) ) i'd have to disagree with you there.

Heatseeker for the Wii is a FANTASTIC codemasters game imo.....really good fun with great gameplay imo.

Just been reading about this game over at pocketgamer, seems like a title with alot of promise, currently in development to be released by Codemasters(don't think a release date has been announced yet).

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Race+Driver%3A+Create+and+Race/news.asp?c=2851

Not only can you create your own tracks using the touchscreen but you can take them online for 4 player wifi racing! Should add alot of life to the game:)

Hope it turns out as good as it sounds, graphics look pretty good from the screens & if you flick through them you'll see the track editor which looks pretty decent and perhaps more important simple to use.
Yep, those graphics do look great don't they :D ?
The track editor looks very promising, although I hope it's better than the Diddy Kong Racing one that sometimes adds "extra's" you didn't want :)
Can't wait for another decent racing game on the DS and hopefully this will be Wi-Fi enabled too, allowing you to upload your efforts for others to use.

coluigi

Novice Member
Just because I wouldn't mind working for them after Uni (and you never know who's looking:rolleyes: ) Codemasters are great :smashin:

To be honest, I love Micro Machines.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
IGN have just reviewed this game(although rather strangely haven't given it an actual score:confused:)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/822/822491p1.html?RSSwhen2007-09-24_064400&RSSid=822491

Sounds very good to me, not short of a good few niggles but reading the review in full it certainly sounds like a worthy addition to anyones DS game collection.

The course design sounds fantastic and should give it alot of longevity, especially as you can take your creation online and race with 4 other players:)
Ah yes, the track designer. This is one area in which Codemasters has really gone above and beyond the call of duty, giving players the chance to show off their creative side as they make courses from scratch. Using the touch screen you can draw routes free-hand with the stylus or choose from a selection of road sections, before adding track-side items, including trees, stadiums and so on. You can even take a quick practice lap round the course or have a fly-through to check out your chicanes and hair-pins. In fact, the track designer is so intuitive, flexible and easy to use you could even recreate well-known courses from other racers, including Mario Kart DS (we pulled off a fairly convincing Yoshi's Circuit). Overall, this is a surprisingly addictive and thoroughly enjoyable element of Create & Race that you end up spending a lot of time on and is ultimately the main draw (pun not intended) of the game.
Furthermore, after creating your masterpiece you can then use it while racing in the game's four-player online mode against friends and random players or the single-card multiplayer. This adds as an extra incentive to make a decent track, to get respect from the racing masses. You can also choose from championship courses as well. Overall though the multiplayer is another excellent element of Race Driver and online races run without a hint of lag - even with all four players jostling for position at the same time. In some respects it's also a more rewarding online experience than Mario Kart DS because it relies purely on driving skill, rather than a racer getting rammed by a red shell on the finishing line and, of course, there's no sneaky snaking in Create & Race.

harpsmatt

IGN have just reviewed this game(although rather strangely haven't given it an actual score:confused:)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/822/822491p1.html?RSSwhen2007-09-24_064400&RSSid=822491
The scores on page 2 of the review. 7.9

Closing Comments
At first Race and Create seems like a bit of a let down because the handling doesn’t seem quite right and the lack of arrows to indicate when turns are coming up is frustrating. However, with a little more practice as you race through championships, the more positive aspects of the game start to shine, including a decent sense of speed thanks to the 60fps and plenty of single-player options. But the star of the show is certainly the Track Designer, which is incredibly in-depth, while still being extremely flexible and simple to use. It adds an enormous amount of longevity to a package that’s already bursting with modes and unlockables.
8.0 Presentation
There are options galore for race fans and there's plenty of info about cars. Plus, menus are a breeze to navigate.
8.0 Graphics
It whizzes along at an impressive 60fps and there's a good sense of speed. A little bit of pop up spoils things though.
6.5 Sound
A fairly average mix of engine noises accompany races, while the menus have lucklustre tunes.
7.5 Gameplay
It's a little irritating at first because the handling's a little strange. However, get past that and this is an entertaining racer.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The Track Designer is absolutely superb and it's backed up by an impressive multiplayer and plenty of single-player modes.
Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
:thumbsup:

G a f f e r

Just got this today and here are my views after 3 quick races:

Fantastic :thumbsup:. They've managed to fix quite a few things....

"I'm gunna snake round da corse" --- errrrr....no. Well, not if you want to win that is :D.

"You're goona git bloo shelled jus b4 da finis liyn" --- errrrr...no. This is a DS attempt at GTmobile...no power ups here.

"I'm taykin vis shortcut now" --- Hahaaaaaa....fixed that too. If you take a shortcut and are deemed to have benefitted (eg by stealing a few places), you can get black flagged. Cautioned at least. A quick "caution" system flashes up to remind you to stick to the tarmac :clap:.

"Why yoo little...I'm gonna knock you up well and gud innit" --- errrrr....no, yet again. A very simply damage indicator is included. Too many knocks and bumps and you'll need to pit (I like the pit sequence too). Should be quite affective at avoiding all the "use opponent in front to brake around corners" people that you find in the GT series.

.....and I haven't even tried the track editor yet. It looks like we finally have a decent racing simulator on the DS :smashin:.

PS. DO NOT undar ANY circumstances stick with the terrible behind car view. I don't know HOW people can judge corners like that. Thankfully a front bumper view and (even better) bonnet view can be set in preferences if you want.....makes the game much more satisfying.

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Sounds good.

Did you ever get this game Tetlee? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

KeanosMagicHat

Novice Member
Well I'm hoping it's good.

As I helped get the DS during the shortage, I'd agreed with my sister (his mum) that I'd be the one to purchase Mario Kart DS.

Unfortunately my brother nipped in and bought that anyway so I picked this up as a more serious racing alternative.

He'll love the create your own tracks element, but I just hope it's not too difficult to control for a 7 year old.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom