1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"RaBiT" has an RGB SCART option - but what does it do?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by prbeard, Mar 5, 2005.

1. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've recently got the VGA -> RGB SCART method to work on my Radeon 9600 by soldering my own cable and using Powerstrip.

The resulting pucture quality on my Sony 41" CRT rear-projection TV is MUCH better than using S-Video.

But the downside is that the picture can't be seen until Powerstrip runs, a few seconds after you log in to XP.

But you can't see the BIOS messages, the XP loading screen or the login screen, so this is a problem if the TV is the only display connected to the PC!

Ideally, I would like to set the required TV settings in the Radeon BIOS, and not need Powerstrip at all.

So I've been searching the net for a solution and came across "RaBiT", which is a new-ish tool that lets you edit various settings in the Radeon's BIOS memory.

One of these lets you to set the initial TV output settings. I tried RaBiT on a copy of my card's BIOS. The settings it allowed were "None", "PAL" or "NTSC". But then I clicked the "allow unsupported TV standards" box. Several new options appeared including "SCART RGB".

I'm a bit nervous of flashing the updated bios into the card, so now I'm trying to find out what this feature might do, hoping it will grant my wishes.

But I can't find any more detail about the setting, and what its supposed to do.

Can anyone help?

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you are being something of a pioneer - let us know how you get on.

3. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a quick look. I downloaded it from

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=872

Its a RAR file so you'll need winRAR to open it.

It's from some Russian guy,

It looks like it needs an image of the Radeon bios image. So how do I get that?

Doesn't seem to add anything to the registry, I'm running Spybots Tea Time which usually picks up anything odd!

Looks a bit complicated.

Attached Files:

4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The RGB Scart option is for a custom cable attached to the S-Video out not for the VGA--->Scart RGB that we all know and love.

You can use any compatible flashing utiility (like ATI Flash) to make an image of your existing BIOS and edit that one and reflash (always keep your original as a backup).

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stlic, could you elaborate on this custom cable from svideo to scart or provide some links please...I'm interested...

6. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Werner unfortunately easier said than done. The S-video to RGB Scart has been covered but as fa as I can tell only on Russian forums.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon-tv-out/ covers flashing and more specifically what the different TV Out options are. It links to a forum that has covered the Scart RGB in some detail.. more specifically this thread. The is a Medion PC that comes with a Scart connector built in which uses the connections on the actual card (see thread).

7. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, stlic, I'll go read those links.

At least, the ones in English!

Does anyone on the board here speak Russian? We may need a translator, and I know the automatic ones are very poor at Rusian!

8. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that forum thread is very long, I don't speak Russian, and Babelfish makes a bit of a mess of alot of the translation, but....

This is what it appears they are suggesting for the wiring...

1(MiniDin7)---17(SCART) = Composite Sync Return
    3(MiniDin7)---15(SCART) = Red
    4(MiniDin7)---11(SCART) = Green
    7(MiniDin7)---07(SCART) = Blue
    5(MiniDin7)---20(SCART) = Composite Sync
    6(MiniDin7)---16(SCART) = RGB Control

This implies to me that they are getting genuine RGB signals out of what we normally think of as the S-Video socket.

Now normal S-Video sockets have only 4 connectors, but the one on the back of my 9600 does indeed have 7.

Of course, just because it has 7 pins, does not neccessarily mean my 9600 can generate the RGB signals. Only 2 ways to find out. One is search the net some more, the second envolves another trip to Maplin, more soldering and re-flashing the BIOS in my card...

9. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at that forum thread some more, the Russians are talking about using this technique on an Radeon 8500, so it can't be limited to the very latest cards.

It seems the RadEdit tool can set the TV mode to RGB also, and that's what they're using.

There seem to be some threads on this subject over at Rage3D.com forums, so I'm going to check those out also.

10. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would think the resolution would be limited by those that the TV Chip can support meaning no fancy widescreen resoltuions that are possible with the VGA->Scart solution.

11. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stlic, you may be right. But no-one outside Russia seems to have tried this, so we don't know how good/bad it may be. So I'm going to try.

I have an old Radeon 7000/VE that has the same connector. I will try on this first and then on my Radeon 9600.

I hope to get a 9-pin mini-din connector from RS components tomorrow, so I can make up the cable tomorrow. If it works, I will try to post some close-up pictures of the TV screen using the s-video, VGA-->RGB SCART and TV OUT-->RGB SCART so we can compare them.

12. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    prbeard interested to hear about your experience. It's great that you've got a working VGA-->RGB Scart lead so you can compare the quality.

13. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stlic,

I have hit a snag. The 9-pin plugs I bought from RS components are just a little too large to fit into the Radeon. So I am still looking for a suitable plug...

It seems that these plugs are not "mini-DIN". They are 7-pin version of the family of connectors that includes 4-pin s-video and 6-pin ps/2 keyboard/mouse, which have slightly smaller diameter than mini-DIN.

14. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frustrating...

My next attempt involved purchasing some composite video adaptors from e-bay. These have the correct 7-pin ps/2 sized plug at one end and a regular composite video connector at the other end. I attempted to remove the 7-pin plug. But I found that 4 of the 7 pins had been cut off to make soldering the composite video conductor easier. This will make it almost impossible for me to solder all the neccessary conductors to get the RGB signal.

15. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm.. the scart-->RGB solution seemed easier.. ;)

16. prbeard

prbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, so far you are right...

At this rate I will finish up by buying a plasma screen with a PC input just to get over the frustration!

17. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Could you not connect via SVideo and VGA->Scart, so you could see the logon screen via SVideo, then once logged on press the AV button on TV remote and switch to RGB

18. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hmm, i'm keeping an eye on this one with great interest...

19. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Same here!.. Don't give up Paul.. A PC Input would be too easy.:)

20. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried it without much success. If I remember rightly I couldn't get powerstrip to have different resolutions for each output.

As KraGorn keeps suggesting (in another thread) maybe Ultramon will help ... :)

21. jonsayers

jonsayers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might have to give this a go. I got cables, radeon and soldering iron to hand :D :D

22. Oldchatterman

Oldchatterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anybody succees already, in my opinion this is the best way of connecting a media center pc to a crt television.