Rabbit Hutch heaters

brendan_dj

Is there such a thing?

I am looking for a very small heater suitable to go outside in a rabbit-hutch.

The purpose is simply to make the pets more comfortable on those very icy cold frosty nights in winter.

Ideally it needs to be at least IP45 weatherproof and of a design such that the pets will not gnaw or chew through the wire etc.

I dont want to cook the pets, but just create a cosy warm corner in the hutch for them.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Rabbits are fine with cold weather, they just don't like damp.

Just make sure the hutch is clean and dry and there really is no problem with the temperature.

brendan_dj

When I was a boy, my sister's rabbit croaked on the first frosty night one winter :(

Admittedly, it had survived about 12 other winters so I guess it was reaching a fairly old rabbit-age.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Oh, :rolleyes: I'll chance my arm and say it's probably not because of the cold.

There may be heaters available but rabbit proof ones are probably very rare indeed.

brian s

Distinguished Member
They also need a toilet and hot running water. The home cinema room is optional but they do appreciate it so it's worth considering.

brendan_dj

They also need a toilet and hot running water. The home cinema room is optional but they do appreciate it so it's worth considering.

True, I hadn't thought of that. I should buy them a few DVDs to start up their movie collection.

Perhaps "Watership Down"?

Can anybody think of any other movies?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi
As this is a rabbit thread,i've chucked in a pic of the wife's pets for all you soppy gits! ;)
I have nothing to do with them,but at least i can put their waste onto the compost heap. :)
Cheers.
pets.jpg

brian s

Distinguished Member
Hi
As this is a rabbit thread,i've chucked in a pic of the wife's pets for all you soppy gits! ;)
I have nothing to do with them,but at least i can put their waste onto the compost heap. :)
Cheers.
Wot no home cinema?

Brendan

How about Rabbit Proof Fence?

All the best
Bri

brian s

Distinguished Member
Kingfats

I've just thought your 11 inch screen would be a great start to their AV haven.:D They might like Bugs Bunny as well.

Best wishes
Bri

h4rri

Hmm back OT ;)

There is no specific item but I would suggest on of the bar heaters secreting the cable away from them. Also put it on an RCD so if they manage to damage the cable it trips. Also bear in mind any cable accross the garden would have to be armoured.

Last couple of years I've moved the whole hutch into the shed, previously we just put carpet and a tarp on the roof to keep the snow off. Now she wants me to build an insulated, heated hutch for them LOL

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Kingfats

I've just thought your 11 inch screen would be a great start to their AV haven.:D They might like Bugs Bunny as well.

Best wishes
Bri

God!
I won't let the wife read this,as she might go ahead and do it. :)

brendan_dj

:oops:

It has just been brought to my attention that the animals in the rabbit hutch in our back garden are not rabbits.
They're Guinea Pigs !!!:rotfl:

Now I understand why the missus is interested in a hutch heater. She says that guinea pigs are not as tolerant to the cold as rabbits are. Therefore I must raise the question again...

Any heaters out there suitable for rabbit hutches but for pet guinea pigs?

The hutch is not in a shed but along the back wall of our house. There is an out-door power socket right next to the hutch which is IP45 weatherproof rated and RCD protected.

city fan

It has just been brought to my attention that the animals in the rabbit hutch in our back garden are not rabbits.

Now I understand why the missus is interested in a hutch heater. She says that guinea pigs are not as tolerant to the cold as rabbits are. Therefore I must raise the question again...

The hutch is not in a shed but along the back wall of our house. There is an out-door power socket right next to the hutch which is IP45 weatherproof rated and RCD protected.

:laugh:

Classic.

I used to have a Guinea pig years ago. :) Nice creatures really, so we wouldn't want them to freeze now.

Have a look here-

http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=28966&PagePosition=1

Seems best way is lots of hay, perhaps some carpet as a wrap around, and make sure they have got a sort of "bedroom" to go into.!

Duncan G

Guinea Pigs are originally from the Andes in South America, it gets far colder there than in this country so they should be ok. Get your wife to knit them some woolly jumpers if she is that worried.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar