R9 280x msi flash bios

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by offitmassive, Feb 3, 2014.

1. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Evening folks, just found out that the msi r9 280x has a bios switch and one bios can be flashed, I've read a few stories people messing it up and haven't found many good instruction links for it.
    Question 1 which way should the switch be to flash it?

Question 2 with it on the position it's in now (not sure without looking) will that be why I cannot access mobo bios nor do I see post screen, all I get is a blank black screen till windows loads.

Question 3 the drivers from msi website , are they any different from the ccc drivers ?? And will the msi drivers help the gpu from crashing on bf3

2. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    1. I think position 1 is for flashing, position 2 is read only. If position (BIOS) 1 was corrupted you can use position 2 to boot up with then flip the switch back to 1 and reflash.

2. Is the computer connected to a TV like monitor? It's possible the monitor cannot display the UEFI resolution (1280x1024).

2b. Windows 8? Is secure boot enabled? I think holding down shift while selecting restart will get you into an advanced menu.

3. I would always use the latest drivers from AMD's website, sites like MSI, ASUS etc list older versions.

3b. Do you run programs like MSI afterburner while playing BF3? This is a common cause of the game freezing and the computer having to be hard reset. The problem is with punkbuster anti cheat program, it's been a problem for many years and they never fix it (one of the reasons I never installed Origin).

To fix this problem, open MSI Afterburner go into settings and change the "Enable low-level hardware access interface" from "user mode" to "Kernel mode".

3c. If you still have problems BF3 is a buggy game and it could be any number of issues, have you overclocked anything?

3. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    It's windows 7 64 bit, connected to a 1080p tv for my monitor.

The tv shows a signal of some sort is being received as it shows 1080p in top left corner, and is blank for 6 seconds or so then shows windows.

Not using msi afterburner but used ccc to overclock a bit . Will try stock settings and try again.

Which position on the switch is 1 and which is 2 like position towards rear of card or front of card?

4. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
  5. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    That resolution ... Is that native to all bios or just that particular 280x ??

6. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    It's kind of a standard on all motherboards since UEFI, GPU's just display what their told, if the TV cannot support that resolution it will either turn off or display a black screen.

When you press the power button on your computer, the motherboard goes through a quick system test to make sure everything is working and in the same order as what is stored in the CMOS.

Once all ready you will have a brief moment to enter the motherboards UEFI via "F2" or "Delete", this is all displayed in 1280x1024 unlike old motherboard BIOS's that were text based.

If no buttons are pressed the UEFI screen disappears and you hear the "all OK" beep, then the OS is loaded, once the drivers kick in that's when 1080p is displayed and you see windows.

7. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Ok makes sense, but the post and bios screen is viewable on a smaller 720p tv . I'd have thought they show all resolutions albeit at different size window output?? And that's with the same Uefi bios gpu

8. cokker

cokker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Yes some monitors will display a higher resolution but scaled down, bit like when you have a picture on your PC taken from a camera that's like 3840x2880 but you can see the whole image on a 1080p screen.

It's a bit hit and miss if a TV can manage lower resolutions, my cheap Toshiba 1080p set will display my media rigs Gigabyte H61 UEFI :confused:

UEFI enabled GPU's are a bit of a gimmick as a GPU without UFEI compatibility would still work fine, my old HD6950 (no UEFI compatibility) worked fine with my Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3's UEFI.