• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

R36 firmware now being pushed

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It appears I'm on R30.
Is that old?

Not that I'm bothered, everything's working fine for me, as it is.

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
R30 is from last year, you'll eventually get R36 once they start pushing it out to all customers. The new firmware brings the following improvements:

• Updated wireless drivers.
  • A fix for issues with the Blizzard Downloader and other multi threaded download applications.
  • General improvements related to the Super Hub rebooting or resetting to factory settings.
  • A fix for iPlayer problems on the XBox 360.
  • An updated GUI for the admin screen.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member

An updated GUI for the admin screen.

That's good, as I really dislike the existing one, although it's not a biggy.

Cheers

Fmrl

Prominent Member
Humph, why are they giving it to S and M first? I thought seeing as L and XLs are paying more they should be given priority... unless, of course, they're not overly confident with the update :laugh:

I'm guessing it's not possible to manually upgrade and we've all got to wait patiently for the push.

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Humph, why are they giving it to S and M first? I thought seeing as L and XLs are paying more they should be given priority... unless, of course, they're not overly confident with the update :laugh:

I'm guessing it's not possible to manually upgrade and we've all got to wait patiently for the push.

That's exactly why they're rolling it out to the S and M custies first, the impact if it all goes pear shaped will be significantly less since there are fewer people on the S/M package.

The R35 firmware was actually prepped and ready to go beta before it was pulled at the last minute so the R36 having reached a public pilot is positive.

And yes, it won't be possible to manually upgrade, they'll push the firmware when it's good and ready.

:smashin:

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Right then, after a successful beta and public pilot, it's all systems go for the Big Push starting tomorrow :smashin:

Reboot yer SuperHubs to get the new firmware, more deets here

Marc

Distinguished Member
noticed i had the new firmware today after my modem rebooted itself. new UI looks nicer but it's less efficient for getting to what you want. Has an MTU option now that I don't remember seeing before. The main plus for me is that it has a reboot option on the web page, so no more reaching down behind the tv to reboot it when the internet goes down!

nickp8

Established Member
Being rolled out to 100MB customers now too.

Fmrl

Prominent Member
R36 downloaded and installed at last. :clap:

All I'm waiting for now is the upstream ugrade!

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Still on R30 here, on my 30Mb connection, even after a reboot :confused:

I'm more interested in my upcoming speed doubling though :)

Fmrl

Prominent Member
Still V5.5.2R30 for me too. I am in Modem Mode though, would this make a difference?

I wouldn't have thought so - the router seems to always communicate with the UBR on bootup (authentication, channels, IP, handshaking, etc.) and hopefully part of this sequence is a "check for updates". I think it always needs to do this even in modem mode. YMMV

By the way, I'm on 30L which I think was one of the last customer groups to be offered the upgrade. Possibly worth giving VM a call or checking on the forum?

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Latest update is that R36 has been rolled out to everyone and 10MB and 30MB users will get it by the end of the week via a reboot.

R36 Super Hub Firmware - Help & Support Forum

I'm still on R30 here and quite happy to stay on it since I've not had any probs. Am more annoyed about the supposed doubling of speeds that was pencilled in for July and has now been pushed back to December 2012 :mad:

RMGEE

Prominent Member
Hi :)

Has anybody got a Nexus 7 and having problems downloading from the Google Play store since their Superhub was updated?

Reason I ask is that myself and my Mom & Dad have a Nexus 7 and the other day we were having problems downloading apps on both devices at my parents but my house was fine. Last night I started having problems at my house too :confused:

I'm not sure if / when our Superhubs were updated, I'm on 30Mb and my parents are on 60Mb.

I tried putting my parents hub into modem mode and connected their old dlink router and the problem stopped but the connection keeps dropping 2-3 times a day.

I have also taken my Nexus 7 to work today and have had no problems downloading.

Any suggestions :lease:

TIA Rich :)

LJD

Banned
I am sat waiting for a Virgin tech guy to turn up
we only have a 10mb package with the old D-link wireless and the 256 router .Its a bit old now and last few days i lost the internet

now..... they want to give me the new "HUB" , having done a search, it looks like the hub was made by the devil himself !
no gaming etc , just a cable connection to my mac and 2 x wireless connections for our "7's

Is the Hub That bad ? They are also looking into when i will get the better speed package

cheers

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
I am sat waiting for a Virgin tech guy to turn up
we only have a 10mb package with the old D-link wireless and the 256 router .Its a bit old now and last few days i lost the internet

now..... they want to give me the new "HUB" , having done a search, it looks like the hub was made by the devil himself !
no gaming etc , just a cable connection to my mac and 2 x wireless connections for our "7's

Is the Hub That bad ? They are also looking into when i will get the better speed package

cheers

The thing is that only the bad experiences with the SuperHub tend to be posted. I've not had any issues with mine and can live with only getting half the 30MB speed via wireless. Ultimately, I would go ahead and get the SuperHub if they are giving you it for free, sooner or later you would need it anyway for anything over 20MB which is the limit of the old modems.

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Checked our router last night and it's updated, much improved gui just hope there isn't any issues

Mine's just updated now on the XL30 package :smashin:

Preferred the old GUI though, this new one requires too many clicks to do the same thing :(

LJD

Banned
The thing is that only the bad experiences with the SuperHub tend to be posted. I've not had any issues with mine and can live with only getting half the 30MB speed via wireless. Ultimately, I would go ahead and get the SuperHub if they are giving you it for free, sooner or later you would need it anyway for anything over 20MB which is the limit of the old modems.

Thats life ! i will see what they say (if they turn up !) they should get me up to 15-20 mb this summer ?
I just want a simple set up with low risk of issues

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Latest update is that R36 has been rolled out to everyone and 10MB and 30MB users will get it by the end of the week via a reboot.

R36 Super Hub Firmware - Help & Support Forum

I'm still on R30 here and quite happy to stay on it since I've not had any probs. Am more annoyed about the supposed doubling of speeds that was pencilled in for July and has now been pushed back to December 2012 :mad:

Gone from July to December 2012/ May 2013 for me;

Your speed upgrade is going to take a little longer

Taking the P or what?
Just another commitment that a big company can't back up, imo.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Of course things can go wrong, but nearly a year late?
and after all the spiel they've handed out?
I could understand it more if it was out in the sticks somewhere, but this is the second biggest city in the UK, where my neighbouring headend was doubled months ago.

Whatever, the new interface is much less clunky.

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Mod Edit: edited to conform to forum rules the whole doubling of speeds coincided at exactly the same time when BT was launching their own Infinity fibre optic network.

The Virgin plan was get as many people to sign up to a 12+ month contract and lock them in with a promise that their broadband speeds will be doubled in the next few months. Once you have enough mugs, shove the start dates back to sometime next year because the punters won't be going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Mod Edit: edited to conform to forum rules the whole doubling of speeds coincided at exactly the same time when BT was launching their own Infinity fibre optic network.

The Virgin plan was get as many people to sign up to a 12+ month contract and lock them in with a promise that their broadband speeds will be doubled in the next few months. Once you have enough mugs, shove the start dates back to sometime next year because the punters won't be going anywhere.

I'm inclined to agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom