R2 Solaris - unwatchable

MartinImber

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Bought it cheap - thought it would be OK.

But as soon as it loads it waffles on about rental and complaints.

It's going on Ebay unwatched!

Just phoned up the not for rental line and now I am emailing

£5

Most films go to the menu - it took about five minutes, waffles about not being a rental and to complain if you were rented it, then after a couple of minutes goes to locked trailers.

Terrible treatment - I think I will have to rip it to watch it, haven't had to do this for over a year when a rental wouldn't play on my home deck but would on the computer.

surely the film, when you do get to it eventually, is ok?:confused:

MartinImber said:
Most films go to the menu - it took about five minutes, waffles about not being a rental and to complain if you were rented it, then after a couple of minutes goes to locked trailers.

Terrible treatment - I think I will have to rip it to watch it, haven't had to do this for over a year when a rental wouldn't play on my home deck but would on the computer.
Ahh, getcha. Yeah it's annoying when you buy a disc and it has all that other rubbish on it which it w'ont let you skip.

Eomer said:
No, it's not. This is an awful film and is the only time I have not watched a film to the end. Maybe it's locked to the trailers to stop you watching the main feature on purpose? ;)

:D the film sucks big time.

it is indeed one of the worst movies ive ever seen, a good cure for insomnia

Well I actually liked solaris (presuming we are talking about the soderberg version) and my R2 dvd actually lets you skip the trailers, it takes about a minute to get into the film on mine. heh

the trailers and crap at the start are way better than the movie, plus they have saved you from wasting 2 hours of your life by watching the crappy remake. get the original russian version instead, much better!

Eomer said:

Nope - severe edge enhancement

Film is slow - not a good start

Watched about 20 minutes so far, but it is not a great film - probably Ebay it when finished if it doens't sell here.

I think its a great film. If you think the soderberg version is boring steer clear of the Tarkovsky one. The 10 minute sequence of a car driving around the Tokyo road system is like chewing on foil!

The music on the soderberg version is great.

Yes the music is good - but will I ever watch it again - not if I have to sit through the locked rubbish

Mr.D said:
I think its a great film. If you think the soderberg version is boring steer clear of the Tarkovsky one. The 10 minute sequence of a car driving around the Tokyo road system is like chewing on foil!

The music on the soderberg version is great.

Yeah I'd agree with that, if you find Soderberg version of Solaris slow, then you don't have a very long attention span and the original version would probabaly make your brain shrivle up.

This really is a great film, great acting, touching story, just quite beuatiful, but i do get that a lot of people probabaly can't adjust from their preconcieved notions of what a Sci-Fi film is, and this is far too dramtic for someone expecting space battles and blasting phasers.

Just a highly thoughtful and intriguing film, and its alot more entertaining than the overblown orginal version in my book.

I nearly bought this movie at full retail. Luckly I rented it out first.

Bored me silly.... :boring: :boring: :boring:

2/10 :thumbsdow

I've never fast forwarded through a film soooo quickly. I could bearly give it 1 out of 10 for the 10 mins I saw at normal speed!! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

You guys don't like "The Thin Red Line" either do you?

Mr.D said:

I did - quite a good film - also the DVD was usable

My problems are with the DVD rather than the film

Mr.D said:

I love this movie. 10/10 :)

One of my best war movies.

I loved Solaris and yet thought thin red line was pretentious and pointless actually, heh.

rmoxon said:
I loved Solaris and yet thought thin red line was pretentious and pointless actually, heh.

Thin Red Line is a True Story which is very well told.

It actually got me into the WAR movie genre. Stick Thin Red Line on a sunday afternoon and let the movie take you. Brillant stuff.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom