[R2 SD] The Fugitive - Season 1 Vol. 1 (4 discs): £10.97 preorder @ Woolworths

krish

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
The classic series with David Janssen and Barry Morse
- first 15 episodes (all B/W) finally out on R2
... and £10.97 for preorder at Woolies, is currently the lowest R1 or R2 price (Season 1 Vol. 2 was released on R1 earlier this year, and Season 2 Vol. 1 will be released on R1 very shortly)

5% cashback: www.quidco.com/woolworths (55p cashback has tracked for me)
Product page: www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50967309

Released: 4th August 2008
Online prices: www.find-dvd.co.uk/PHE9418.htm

This was delivered this morning, the actual release date was pushed back to today 18/08/08, I believe
... and it is actually Season 1 Vols. 1 & 2
= complete Season 1 ... i.e. 30 episodes across 8 discs in an M-Lock type case :smashin:

- so was a bloody good bargain in the end at £10.97, which I'm still waiting for on my CC bill (the 55p Quidco cash was paid out ages ago), but seems to have shot up now (stayed at that price for well over a month)

Last edited:
I seem to have missed this

What's the PQ like?

I'm tempted to go for the R1 release as they generally get the better PQ on these types of dvds.

First episode looked fine to me (bearing in mind that its a 45 year old B/W TV show), but I'm not in a position to compare it to the R1

- copied from the back of the case:
INCLUDES ALL 30 SEASON 1 EPISODES ON 8 DISCS!
TRANSFERRED FROM THE ORIGINAL NEGATIVE WITH RESTORED AUDIO.

MUSIC HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR THIS HOME ENTERTAINMENT VERSION.
SOME EPISODES MAY BE EDITED FROM THEIR ORIGINAL NETWORK VERSIONS

from Wiki (regarding R1) ...
Currently, Republic Pictures and CBS Paramount Television own the rights to the series (while CBS themselves now own the copyright); CBS Home Entertainment (with distribution by Paramount) released Season 1, Volume 1 on DVD in Region 1 in late 2007. Reviews of the first DVD set have been very positive as the show appears uncut and uncompressed, re-mastered from the original negatives and magnetic soundtrack, although a disclaimer by CBS mentions some episodes are "edited from their original broadcast versions" and some music changed for home video. (Incidental music was altered in at least two episodes, Where the Action Is and The Garden House.) There are no subtitles or alternate languages, and the "liner notes" consist merely of TV-Guide-style episode synopses inside the four-disc holder. Season 1, Volume 2 was released on February 26, 2008. Season 2, Volume 1 was released on June 10, 2008. Many reviews of this third DVD set were highly negative due to the replacement of the original used music tracks with the aforementioned synthesizer music.

I was wondering if others had pre-ordered this around the time of my OP, and also had this pleasant surprise of the full first season in the post this morning :)

from Wiki (regarding R1) ...
Season 2, Volume 1 was released on June 10, 2008. Many reviews of this third DVD set were highly negative due to the replacement of the original used music tracks with the aforementioned synthesizer music.
Interesting info on this recent controversy ...

"CBS Par can't escape 'Fugitive' burn" - www.variety.com/article/VR1117987978.html

"The Fugitive Music Debacle: Why It Happened" - www.filmmusicsociety.org/news_events/features/2008/081508.html

Interesting reading Krish, thanks for the links.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom