1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R2 Or Multiregion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by THOWD FELLA, Jan 3, 2004.

1. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to get either a Panny HS2 or an E100 but am stumped as to whether I should get a standard Region2 or a Multiregion. As I understand it R2 is for Europe and R1 for USA
    so if I buy R1 dvd's are they not in ntsc format or does someone convert them to Pal before we buy them. Also, NTSC format is inferior to ours - 24frames/sec as against 25 with Pal so are the dvd's inferior when converted to Pal? Sorry if all this sounds silly but "multiregion is confusing me, can anyone advise please?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    Getting a multi region player will let you play pre-recorded DVD’s from other regions, not record in that format not unless you recorder specifically says so.

To get a reg 1 disc to play on your TV by a multi region player the TV has to be compatible with NTSC, which the vast majority are these days(had a TV 8 years old and it played NTSC).

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    Oh region 1 are NTSC, if you get one from the Stares that some one has recorded for you I think would be classed as region free???????????

I would definetly get a Multi-region recorder if you do not have a stand alone multi-region DVD player.

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can't really see any big advantage to MR machines these days, unless you're desperate to get films on DVD as quickly as possible. I'm not really keen on buying an expensive machine that someone has opened up and taken a soldering iron to:eek:
    Also, more films are available on R1, but R2 seems to be catching up fast, and prices are falling.
    No doubt someone will have a good argument for MR.
    I have a Tosh SD330 MR but have just bought a Panny HS2 R2.
    Think I'll sell the few R1 discs I have.;)

5. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very few machines these days are attacked by soldering irons!

Normally via a squence of keys on remote control or the machine itself, or dedicated remote or firmware.

The MR market is money for old rope.
    I like having the option to source my discs where ever suits based on release date or price.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Region 2 may be catching up on blockbusters,but I collect tv series and Region 2 is nowhere near.There are lots of films unavailable on R2 like Clash of the titans and Time after Time,and Region 4 Australia is equally interesting.
    Multiregion is not essential,but it adds so little to the final cost you might as well have it.
    2 R1 purchases could save you your MR payment straight away.But release dates,price,better versions(not always) should be there to choose.
    The HS2 can record in PAL and NTSC(only from NTSC source-no converting).
    PAL v NTSC is subjective.Picture quality IS generally better in PAL,but NTSC is made to look worse by incorrect set ups.Eg,your HS2 will come preset to output NTSC in PAL 60.Without changing a menu you will have excellent,but slightly lower quality NTSC playback.But PAL will often have movies at incorrect pitch,making actors sound wrong-due to the faster frame rate.

7. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to you all. I now understand multiregion much better and have made the decision to go for the dmr e100 region 2 only.

8. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THOWD FELLA

Where did you source your E100?

Just about to get one myself!

9. PatrickS

PatrickS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my Panny E 100 last week after much perusal of this forum (many thanks, it was an education). I went Multi Region as I have a fair number of R1 discs and collect older US movies and Serials that will never be available on R2 discs.

I also have NTSC tapes and transferred a sample reel to the Panny. Top notch results but only as available as an NTSC playback as mentioned by a previous poster.

Very pleased with the Panny and looking forward to getting Sky+ at the end of the month via the refurbished box offer which I also learnt about from the Sky+ forum. Should be an unbeatable combination which will offer around 100 hours of online storage @ SP quality as I am planning to upgrade the Sky+ hard disk to 120GB.

I sourced mine from PRC Direct @ £775.00 and picked it up from their Ilford shop.

10. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tricky question that as I would like to buy it locally if possible.
    There are two web sites locally in Lancashire, buyyour av at Wigan and electrical discounts at Blackburn - both prices around £805. However, on the pricerunner web site there are a few choices around the £770 mark one of which is www.dvdplayers.co.uk which is in Stoke on Trent which can't be far from you in Cheshire Zor. Think for the exra £35 I,ll buy it locally.

11. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got Time After Time a few months ago I think you will find it is region 0 as it plays on my two region 2 dvd players fine

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    THOWD FELLA,
    give Sound and Vision in Bolton a try, they are a Lancashire "local" firm you wanted.
    Ged

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Time after Time on Warner Video,a Region 1 disc.I have never known Warner to ever release a disc as R0.Are you sure its not a pirate or an Asian import.
    Why would you buy a R1 import for playback on a R2 machine without know ing if it would play.
    Whatever,it does not alter the fact that the film is NOT out on R2.

14. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got from Futureent.com, I know it states region 1 ive got a MR player thats why I got it, I just stuck it my region 2 player to see what happened. And it plays it for some reason.Its not a pirate or asian import either, well not to my knowledge.

15. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ged, I'll try sound and Vision tommorow but they will have to price match as Discount Electrical have dropped there price to £799.

16. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mayby your "region 2" player is one of those where for cheapness in production they have not implemented the region codes?, just marked the box as region 2. Might be worth trying some other region 1 discs in it to see