1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"R2 Japanese DVD Suppliers"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by cinemagary, Sep 18, 2005.

1. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have noticed that a certain R2 Japanese DVD site that they list certain titles are out of print. When I ordered "True Lies-DTS" from this site I got stung for customs charges that took the total to around £35 for a single DVD that is a lot of money for one DVD. :mad:

I found the supposed out of print titles I was looking for on amazon.co.jp. and
    although I dont read japanese, the site is laid out exactly the same as there regular site.

I ordered "Aliens Ultimate Edition-DTS" it arrived in about 3weeks at a cost of £24 and no customs charges. :)

I recommend shopping around if you are looking for R2 Japanese titles especially ones with DTS. :cool:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    Well yes, except that the fact you escaped taxes on your GBP24 package was probably more a matter of negligence by the carrier involved (and/or your good fortune), rather than anything to do with the supplier.

3. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It would seem that most DVD's sent form amazon.co.jp they are sent via europe and re:posted from somwhere I think Germany so no customs charges as we are part of the eu. ;)

I placed another order with amazon.co.jp on September 11th and recieved it today September 19th and again no customs or import charges and the cost of this DVD again was over the £18 limit. :thumbsup:

Each time I placed my order the price has been clearly displayed on each of the packages in Japanese yen. Also my point was to shop around especially if you want R2 Japanese DTS titles. :cool:

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Hate to say you've been lucky.

Both my Sonny Head and my Chicago Boxset from amazon.co.jp have had customs charges - one was via DHL, the other was routed via Germany as you described and I still had to pay.

I think it's just a case of luck, bad in my case, but then in fairness, if you're importing, you should be prepared to pay the duty.

5. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It must be down to the shipping method, I agree with you if you are importing DVD's you should be prepared to pay duty. I probably have been lucky as I only order odd titles from them. :)

If you are looking for that (out of print) title you are bound to find it on amazon.co.jp, unlike the website that says out of print when in fact they are available over at amazon.co.jp.

It really does pay to shop around even if you have to pay a little duty. :cool:

6. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's a good piece of advice to shop around except that there aren't all that many retailers that sell Japanese region 2 DVDs.

I got my kill Bill Japanese from Yes Asia and they pay the VAT so you don't have to worry about customs charges