1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R2 Basic Instinct 2 disc inc Ice pick

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,143
    Due to be released on may 20th, looks identical to recent R1 disc.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    having been of a younger more innocent generation......i havent ever seen this film! Is it any good apart from the obvious scenes? ahem....... dont think i ever heard anyone comment on the quality of the transfer either!

ad

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,143
    I always thought it was watchable as a thriller. The Director Commentry is V funny, especially during the *AHEM* scenes

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So for a general film fan its an acceptable disc to have in the collection!!?? wonder if my gf will agree with that!

ad

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I never eally understood what all the fuss was about!?! I think the studio was trying to hype it up to increase viewing figures!!

It is definitely a respectable film to own - isn't it funny how people feel embarassed about this film because it has sex in it, whereas other Paul Verhoeven films, like Robocop, are filled with scenes of people getting their limbs blown off and no-one bats an eyelid!!:)

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yes but they deserve it cos they are ugly baddies.

Has anyone burnt a hole in their disc with the laser due to it being paused for too long :D

I suppose if you did pause it for too long you would get CRT burn of the image on the telly. That would be embarrasing when the in-laws came round for the evening eh? :D

Darren

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    whats the spoof of this......errrmmmm......oh yeah......fatal instinct! I saw that once, i thought it was hilarious! Is it about on dvd in any shape or form? Then i could have both and claim it to be because i wanted to find out what the spoof was based on......thats an idea! Ranks up along with buying the clockwork orgy as a simple reading accident......

ad

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi All,

I have the R1 version of the Ice Pick Pack edition of "Basic Instinct", and think that its quite a good thriller.

Firstly, if you're looking for an erotic film, this ain't it! The sex is not at all erotic, and whilst the film isn't quite as sleazy as it was made out to be, there are some iffy scenes and dubious character stereotypes that do make you wonder exactly what Joe Eszterhaus was trying to say.

Okay, so this view is coming from a young, heterosexual male. If you were a gay person, then you may find it derrogatory. Ditto, if you are female, as most of the female characters are treated like dirt, and shown as nothing more than wish-fulfilment for the men in the movie. Having said that, the film does raise some interesting issues about gender manipulation, how men view women (and vice versa), the portrayal of gays in the media, etc.

One of the plus points, is Camille Paglia's feminist reading of the movie, via her excellent audio commentary. It's certainly one of the more entertaining and honest commentary's I've heard in a while, and as such it's definitely worth listening to.

On the whole, I think the film is good. However, don't think about it too much, or you are likely to hate it for many of the reasons mentioned above. The disc content is good, though I would have liked to have seen more behind-the-scenes material, and more on the controversy the film caused. The Ice Pick pen included with the disc, is actually nothing more than a cheap gimmick, as is the packaging. But don't let that put you off too much. The film and DVD is still worth a purchase.

Pooch

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,272
    i've got a spare, still sealed, R1 version of the film, with the Ice Pick packaging, if anybody is interested in it.

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    I've never been ashamed to say I like this film.
    It's by far the best of the "erotic" thriller wannabe's that followed it like those steaming piles of crapola The Color Of Night and Body Of Evidence, which seemed to dispense with the story and concentrate on the (supposedly) erotic side of things.

Basic Instinct's a B movie that would've been a straight-to-vid (or channel 5) release if they hadn't managed to get a decent cast and crew together. I was actually surprised, having not seen it for years, how much better I thought it was when I got the R1 disc than when the film was originally released theatrically.

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Mjn,
    I'd be interested in your spare copy, I just emailed you. How much are you looking for it?
    Cheers,
    Mick

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    MJN,
    PS. I'm in Dublin a well so exchange should be handy enough

13. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a good murder thriller who done it, and has a bit of sex thrown in for good measure.

Sort of Jagged Edge with added T&A.

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    I don't really see why the UK release needs 2 discs to hold the same stuff that the US got on 1 disc...oh yeah, they need to bump the price up to a rather inflated £24.99, don't they.

15. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard a rumour on another forum that the documentary is longer on the UK version approx 50 mins rather than 25.
    Also includes the original featurette which is not in R1 ? but was on my W/S VHS copy and is around 6 min

As Momentum will they have all the extra languages and subtitles unlike R1 which take up space. However what would be great is to have DTS as this is only available in Japan. Momentum have been adding this to many of their top titles recently so heres hoping. Therefore with these need 2 disks as film is around 2 hours

Also will it be the unrated directors cut rather than the R rated version as you had the choice on R1 ?

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    The unrated US version is identical to the version released in the UK - it was passed uncut first time round by the BBFC

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its funny how the americans always cut out the sex, and we always cut out the violence! :rolleyes: