1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1disks that plays on R2 players

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gordon, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I found out that the R1 DTS version of Men In Black actually plays on R2 machines, does anyone know of any other R1 DTS titles that can do this? I'd like to up my collection of DTS disks a bit.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Gordon,

Don't mean to sound rude, but are you certain about this fact? I find it very strange that any Region 1 DVD's would play on a Region 2 coded machine, unless your machine has been chipped to set itself to Region 0, or else, that particular DVD title - Men In Black - is purely an anomally: i.e. one-of-a-kind!

If you could reply to this, including the exact name of the DVD (Collector's Edition, etc), name and model number of your DVD machine and what modifications it has, if any - e.g. any region-code modifications, etc, etc, then maybe myself and others can look into this peculiarity a little further.

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 29-01-2001).]

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pooch,

Isn't it you that's missing the point? [​IMG]

I have a region 2 player (chipped to play R1 and R2 like most other members here) and playing a DTS disc is no different to any other.

Wasn't Gordon asking for recommendations of other DTS titles, which would have to be essentially R1 as there are only a couple of R2 titles out there?

Anyway, if I'm right, here's my list that he can think of acquiring:

SPR, Galaxyquest, T2, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Gladiator, Chicken Run, Jaws and Se7en

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I stand on Pooch's side, if the region 2 player is not chipped it should not play R1, DD or DTS doesn't make a difference here as you say.
    Perhaps the player is indeed code 0 (what make/model) or he is just lucky ...

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or **** it, I ain't interested.

5. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As it stands no R2 player can play (a properly coede) R1 DVD unless....it has been modified in some way by a chip or remote hack. This is what Pooch was getting at.

Now if Gordon has played R1 MIB on his UNMODIFIED R2 player than that would be the damndest thing.....but I doubt very much that that's the case.

I think we need Gordon's input before we can move forward on this matter....as it stands Gordon is either stating the obvious or has made a mistake in his statement, Gordon can you please clarify?

Cheers
    Ace

Or maybe Gordon didn't realize you can play R1 DTS DVD's on a modfied R2 Player?

[This message has been edited by Ace007 (edited 30-01-2001).]

6. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Just to confirm:

The Region 1 version of Men In Black DTS version can actually play on both R1 & R2 machines (NOT MODIFIED). If anyone has this, I would suggest trying it out on a machine that has NOT been altered, you'd be surprised.

Seemingly, this disc was encoded or encrypted (whatever the word is) to play on both R1 and R2.

I discovered this on many other forums that I visit on a regular basis. I ordered it from Play247 just to try it out and IT WORKED!!!

I have not had my player altered in any way and as you can imagine, I was delighted to hear of this disk and was enquiring if any of you had came across any other disks like this.

7. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

Just to follow-up on my reply, please see a comment below from my searching:

"R1 MIB plays on R2 machines (Posted 7/9/2000)

DVDTimes today confirmed the rumour that the R1 DTS version of Men In Black will indeed work on R2 machines. DVDBoxoffice are your cheapest bet for this version, though I wonder how many of you out there have R2 only machines by now"

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Just out of interest I just tried putting MIB DTS into my PIONEER 919 and set it too region 2 rather than region 1 and...........................

Nothing happened

9. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I was actually one of the people who confirmed this fact to Gordon - MIB DTS R1 will indeed play on a R2 machine, I don't know why or how or whatever, all I know is it does.

If anyone else has got a copy of this DVD and a switchable player (mine is a 717 Paragon mod), change your player to the R2 setting and put it in.... it does work. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

10. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we were extremely patient with this guy!

Ok, so Gordon what you meant to say was:

Now that I found out that the R1 DTS version of Men In Black actually plays on UNMODIFIED R2 machines, does anyone know of any other R1 DTS titles that can do this? I'd like to up my collection of DTS disks a bit.

can someone please tell me what's the point of having a UNMODIFIED R2 DVD Player?

Spectre this thread is a waste of space. If I were you I would delete it. I feel it's insulting our intelligence!

Ace

PS - I'm heading over to the FRAG FEST forum.....

11. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ace

I'm sorry if I am insulting your intelligence here, but....

If you took the time to read my first post, you would have noticed that I actually never changed anything in my most recent post to make you understand my question a bit more, surely this does indeed insult your intelligence, infact doesn't it question it.

I'm pretty sure that in the two thousand odd mambers that this forum has, many like myself, do not have a modified DVD player. For the ones that also have invested in DTS amps like myself, this information that I supplied will be pleasing to them.

I am totally disgusted in the way that you have answered my mail.

It's just a sad day that a company who is trying to sell magazines to make a living would associate with such a ******. (They would have stepped in as soon as you posted that dribble if they didn't)

By all means, delete this post. I honestly thought that the purpose of this forum was to assist in helping others with any problems or queries that we have from time to time. I never realised that it was for total arseholes like yourself.

If there is anyone out here that feels the same as I do, then do what I am going to do and cancel my subscription to this magazine. Associating with people like this ****ER will soon lose them a lot of money, they've lost mine anyway.

Why not try http://www.thedvdforums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi. They will help you when they can, and wouldn't allow people like Ace to post such cheek.

By the way Ace 00whatever, I have proved that you don't know that much about DVD's, do you? - "R1 can't play on R2 without being modified" - indeed. And if I am still insulting your intelligence, lets talk.

12. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall that when Universal released their first batch of discs with dts (back in 99 I think) they were R1 and R2 playback.

I suspect this was to enable the discs to be marketed in the R2 NTSC market - ie Japan.

No as MIB is the only Columbia Tristar disc to have dts (or at least was the first) maybe CTS dont have their own dts encoder and so contracted out the disc to the same authoring house that did the Universal dts discs.

Could all be rubbish of course, but it does give one reason why the MIB plays back on R2 players.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ace and Gordon,

Ace: No offence meant by this, but in my opinion you were a little bit harsh with your reply. Regardless of Gordon's reasons, he owns an bog-standard, non-chipped Region 2 DVD player, and has discovered that at least one Region 1 DTS DVD plays on an unchipped Region 2 machine.

Some people may not wish to bother with importing DVD's from the US or Japan or anywhere else. Some may wish to only "buy British". Others, may simply not be able to afford to modify or upgrade their DVD machine to make it multi-region.

Having said that, most DVD owners do own multo-region machines, but we shouldn't chastise those who don't. Any Region 1 DVD that can be played on an unchipped R2 machine is surely an interesting if somewhat strange facet of DVD culture.

Anyway, this is only my opinion, and I don't want anyone, least of all you Ace, to take this as an attack on you personally, for it is not meant that way.

-----

Gordon: Again, in my opinion, you don't need to cancel your subscription over this situation. Yes, I admit, that what Ace said was probably inappropriate, but don't let this one comment stigmatise the whole group as a bad thing.

Most of you know, that Charles and I had a major fall-out over one recent thread. However, it has ended, and both him and myself still post here, despite our difference of opinion. This is the exact same situation. If you don't like what Ace said, all you need to do is ignore his post, but DON'T go cancelling your magazine subscription over something so trivial.

Both of you: Everyone here has opinions. Everyone thinks that their opinion is right. Sometimes we all agree on something, and at other times we disagree. Hell, this is a space for debate and discussion, and yes, at times, it can get fraught and heated exchanges will take place. However, eventually these things die out, life moves on, and so do all of the people who post here in this forum. If we all write nice, pleasant things, then their wouldn't be a while lot of point for this forum, and sometimes having a good "slanging match" can be cathartic for everyone, as well as brightening-up the whole forum. It certainly makes a nice change, to see two people go at logger-heads with one another over something, and watch what happens. At least it's better to have a war with words, than a fight with fists. Anyway, enough said.

Cheers,

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 30-01-2001).]

14. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pooch

I buy DVD's regularly, infact over the past 12 months I have bought an average of 12.33 disks (not including the ones that I have got rid of).

I have never been one to be waiting desperately for DVD's to be released. I'll go out one weekend and have a good read at them, if I fancy them, I'll buy them, end of story. This is why I have never even thought twice about getting my players chipped.

I believe the cost of chipping my players would be about £65 each, I'd rather spend that £130 on DVDs.

The only reason that I would import from the good old US of A or any other country is because I have a DD/DTS decoder, both in the livingroom and bedroom,and if there are some DTS disks that I can play on my players without being modified, and I couldn't buy them from anywhere local then I'll buy them.

I have already terminated my subscription, so that's that. As for the forum, I have been visiting it since probably April/May last year. If you did a search on any question that I put to the other forum members, you will see that you arn't a very helpful bunch.

It may have to do with other forums. The one that I recommended on the above post is actually a very friendly and helpful place to visit. You atually feel like you know all of them personally, all great guys. I've never insulted anyone's intelligence there, if I have, then they haven't publically humiliated me. And all because I haven't got my player chipped.

I'm just glad I didn't post a question asking what way the printed side of a DVD goes into a player, facing up or down?

I look forward from hearing from you guys over at http://www.thedvdforums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi. You'll be made very welcome.

see you guys around, not in here though.

Enjoy

15. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Is it me or does that bloke sound a bit of a prat ?

He has a go saying that ACE knows nothing about DVDs ! LOL what a joke, 12.33 Discs purchased wow how anal can he get

And once he gets amplification and speakers for those decoders he will be well away.

again what a bit of a prat

He will be back [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by DuncanWardle (edited 30-01-2001).]

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Fact: Discs coded as R1 (only) won't play on other region's machines.

Fact: Just 'cos it say R1 on the package or label doesn't mean that the disc is coded as R1 only.

Assumption: These "R1" discs referred to here are, in fact, coded as multi-region (ie either 1&2 or region free).

I recall reading in the press some time ago that some "R1" DTS titles from some studios were, in fact either R1+R2 or region free. Iguess you've found one of these.

17. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DUNCAN

I just had to reply to you.

1 - 12.33 disks per month in the last 12 months (148)

2 - I only pointed out to ACE that in this instance, he was wrong. At no time did I say that he knew nothing about DVD's.

3 - The other day, I asked the question that if anyone knew of R1 disks that plays on an R2 machine that has DTS soundtrack, then let me know. I logged on this morning to read Ace's reply starting with "I think we have been extremely patient with this guy". I can't remember pestering all of you. It then went on to aks that the thread be deleted and for me not to insult his intelligence. I then notice you joining in on the bandwagon adding that you think I am a prat.

Thank you all for making me feel like I do just now.

18. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gordens intitled to his own views but ive never came across anyone quiet so obnoxious the way hes attacking everyone in site. i say if he wants to go off to his other little forum and discuss all of his different players and decoders, let him. I'm just surprised that someone with all the equipment he has, he doesn't have a modified machine. im not on here to attack other members but its a matter of different views, and in gordens case he just seems a little aratic.(and gorden that wasn't a dig at you before you come back and fire insults at me.) im just airing my views and opions on the information that i've read above.

19. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Pooch

I would disagree with your comment that most DVD owners have a multi-region machine. Excluding a player like the Wharfedale which has had major publicity regarding its multi-region ability, I would say that most DVD owners don't own a multi-region machine. A lot of visitors to this site probably own one, but you have to imagine all the thousands upon thousands of players that were sold over the last few years and the run up to Xmas in shops such as Dixons, Currys, etc. Most of these are purely R2 machines and I would say that very few people have had them chipped since. You have to realise that, as in all fields of electrical items such as hifi, HC etc, the vast majority of players are bought by 'ordinary' people out there who are probably not as interested in HC as the visitors to this site. They simply want a machine to play their rented films on or their own collection. Most of these people will probably have small collections of DVDs, unlike some of the huge numbers you see mentioned in this site. I'm sure that there are even people out there who know very little about the whole concept of regions. And to be fair to them, they are probably not the sort of people who would come on a website and get involved in very childish war of words - another example of which we are witnessing here. And without trying to offend you Duncan (because no offense is meant) I think that it is a little ironic that you are calling this fella a prat after the whole incident with you last month when you fell out with a lot of people on the site and said that you were leaving.

20. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, Okay, you've won!!!!

Duncan - I am sorry for verbally attacking you after your reply to my message. It won't happen again.

Ace007 - I am sorry for verbally attacking you after you ran out of patience with me - it won't happen again.

As for the rest of you, you will be please to hear that I have just this minute ordered 2 chips for my players. I have also arranged for them to be fitted at the weekend.

I haven't cancelled my subscription (the letter is now in the bin).

I'm now multi-region.

I suppose I just needed something like this to happen for me to go and order them.

Once again, sorry guys. Friends?

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you seem to get so het up about things, this is only a forum on a COMPUTER it is not as if there are real friendships at stake, it seems very childish to me to get upset and say you are going to leave the forum because of what people have said. The whole idea of a forum is to pass around ideas and give help/advice to those who want it, if you want to make friends, go to the pub.

22. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Martin.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem!

24. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, here goes....

Quote - Gordon:
    If you took the time to read my first post, you would have noticed that I actually never changed anything in my most recent post to make you understand my question a bit more

But this is what you said:

The Region 1 version of Men In Black DTS version can actually play on both R1 & R2 machines (NOT MODIFIED). If anyone has this, I would suggest trying it out on a machine that has NOT been altered, you'd be surprised.

Did you or did you not add (NOT MODIFIED) after R2?

Quote - Gordon:
    I have never been one to be waiting desperately for DVD's to be released. I'll go out one weekend and have a good read at them, if I fancy them, I'll buy them, end of story. This is why I have never even thought twice about getting my players chipped.

So why don't you just wait for the R2 Version?

Quote - Gordon:
    The only reason that I would import from the good old US of A or any other country is because I have a DD/DTS decoder, both in the livingroom and bedroom,and if there are some DTS disks that I can play on my players without being modified, and I couldn't buy them from anywhere local then I'll buy them.

If you have 2 DD/DTS Decoders then stop bitching about how much it will cost to chip your players!

Quote - Gordon:
    I believe the cost of chipping my players would be about £65 each, I'd rather spend that £130 on DVDs.

If that's what you think go ahead and pay silly prices for shoddy R2 Releases. With this statement you prove yourself to not know much about DVD's!

Quote - Gordon
    By the way Ace 00whatever, I have proved that you don't know that much about DVD's, do you? - "R1 can't play on R2 without being modified" - indeed. And if I am still insulting your intelligence, lets talk.

Quote - Gordon:
    I only pointed out to ACE that in this instance, he was wrong. At no time did I say that he knew nothing about DVD's

You have contradicted yourself, plus that's NOT what I said, you have taken it out of context! This is what I said:

As it stands no R2 player can play (a properly coded) R1 DVD unless....

Quote - Gordon:
    I'm just glad I didn't post a question asking what way the printed side of a DVD goes into a player, facing up or down?

I can't believe you actually considered it!

Quote - Gordon:
    I'm pretty sure that in the two thousand odd mambers that this forum has, many like myself, do not have a modified DVD player. For the ones that also have invested in DTS amps like myself, this information that I supplied will be pleasing to them.

I'm sure all the mambers would have a Multi-Region Player! I didn't realize there were so many mambers anyway! can anyone confirm this to be true?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gordon if you like DTS DVD's then why go through all the trouble? The E-tailers are quite good most people here use:
    www.futreent.com www.play247.com

Check them out, see how much yuo can save....

If there is anyone out here that feels the same as I do, then do what I am going to do and cancel my subscription to this magazine. Associating with people like this ****ER will soon lose them a lot of money, they've lost mine anyway.

I think you should cinsider reducing your caffiene intake.

Quote - Gordon:
    I buy DVD's regularly, infact over the past 12 months I have bought an average of 12.33 disks

Quote - Gordon:
    12.33 disks per month in the last 12 months (148)

I think abit of thought into what you are trying to say may help others understand you.

PoochJD, no offence taken. I just don't see the point of wasting time trying to find out if any R1 encoded DVD's can play on a UNMODIFIED R2 Player. I just can't see the logic in it. Just get your player chipped and be done with it. It will save so much time later, and like I said you will recoup any money spent on the Mod with the savings you would make on R1 titles i.e. R1 Toy story 2Disc boxset £17.99, £19.99 each for R2!

Cheers
    Ace

25. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  26. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ace

I read your reply, thanks for the comments. You're correct, I don't know much about DVD's. I just enjoy watching films.

I also want to thank you for your recommendations to DTSOnline and Play247.

27. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Told you he would be back [​IMG]

28. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Handbags out!
    Who would have thought that such a mundane question could lead to such bile and hatred being spewed out.
    Is it me, or is there far too much of this sort of thing going on lately?

29. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put your SPOON away and stop stirring things up!

30. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shut up

stuff like this always seems to turn in to camp comedy
    'oh you couldn't afford me dear!'

every time something controversial comes up, the limp wristed brigade come out en mass then go off in the huff

a can't remember who's signature this is but in the words of MR '****' clooney
    'everybody be cool, you be cool'

(desade yes) they are not laid back enough, too much emtional tension mmmmmkay

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'