1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 vs R2 debate - something else to consider

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by HT Dude, Nov 1, 2000.

1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd always get R1 given a choice because

(PAL being better than NTSC is irrelevant to me on my progressive scan system).

1) R1 is at the correct speed. THE most important issue
    2) R1 is uncut by the BBFC
    3) R1 is has (usually) more extras
    4) DTS is better and available on more R1 titles. Bit unfair this one since most of the DTS R1 titles are not out on R2, yet.

and this is the unconfirmed theory :

5) R1 Dolby Digital is encoded at a higher bitrate then R2. R2 is usually 384 whereas R1 is 448. Have I got the numbers right? Can you confirm this?

2. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think thats complete Pants. Bloody typical, R2 suffers again.

Neil is the 384Kb true for all R2 disks?There are a few disks out there that only have a few different languages on them. I wonder whether its possible to get a list together of those disks that suffer from 384Kb ?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HC Dude,

>>>2) R1 is uncut by the BBFC
    But in some cases can still be cut including HK films like Miracles, Gorgeous, Tai Chi Master.

>>>5) R1 Dolby Digital is encoded at a higher bitrate then R2. R2 is usually 384 whereas R1 is 448. Have I got the numbers right? Can you confirm this?

Most new US titles use 448k, older titles 384k. Example being the original Lethal Weapon was 384k the new dual DD/DTS is 448k. There is additional clarity in the newer version when doing a 384k DD to 448k DD comparison.

R2 DD titles are normally 384k to preserve space for additional language soundtracks that have to covered for Europe. If I remember correctly TWINE R2 is 384k as opposed to 448k on the R1 for this reason.

Generally it comes down to Capacity Budget, and R2 needs more languages.

------------------
    neil@dvddebate.com
    webmaster@bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    dvddebate.com

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Probably easier to list the few that have 448k and no I'm not offering :cool:

------------------
    neil@dvddebate.com
    webmaster@bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    bulletsnbabesdvds.com
    dvddebate.com