1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Toy Story boxset problem

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SilverPenguin7, Jun 30, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Grrrr just put Toy Story 2 on from my R1 boxset. Haven't watched it in about 2 years so thought I would stick it on for a chuckle. However, once I got to chapter 23 the picture and sound constantly broke up, making the film totally unwatchable right the way to the end of the disc! I have watched this dvd several times in the past so I know it used to work. I have had it about 3 years so I am seriously not impressed that a THX certified dvd would do this. And there was me happy to not have to put up with 'laser rot' any longer when I switched from laserdisc to dvd :mad:

Anyone else had this problem?

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Have you tried it in another player?
    Is the surface sticky to the touch?
    Does it look "Cloudy"?

Gary

3. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This brings up the question (for me anyway) is there anyway to stop CD/DVD Rot? is it down to the way that the disk are stored? I have been lucky and to my knowledge none of my disks have disk rot, but i have no idea what causes it or how to combat it, any ideas?

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes it is cloudy but I haven't noticed any surface stickyness. It has been suggested I try cleaning the disc with some water and a small amount of washing liquid so i shall give that a go. Nothing to loose now seeing as the disc is already unsuable! Otherwise I'll have to go out and get another copy :(

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    DVD rot is caused by the bond between the two layers of a disc breaking down (in the cause of the T1 discs it was the glue used and the ink used for the label printing). you could try washing it, as you say you have nothing to lose. Try it in another machine first and see what happens. You should contact both the disney and the site that supplied the disc to you, they may replace it.

hope thats of some help.

gary

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    That is delamination which where the two layers come apart. DVD rot attacks the coating of the DVD and causes dots or speckles to appear. They are basically holes in the protective layer which ends up going through the data layers.