1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Suppliers, The Saga Continues...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Cortex, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Cortex

Cortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the ongoing discussions with the R1 e-tailers, I am normally a loyal Play247 customer but it seems that they are going downhill. Delayed delivery of MI2, shortage of stock of Big Mamma's House and Scary Movie, more and more movies being priced @ 17.99 (Customs). I am starting to pull my hair out to get my weekly fix of new DVD's. On flicking through this months HCC (plug, plug) I tried DVD Dynamic in Canada with the following results - Scary Movie R1 33.99$CAN (£15.33 approx.) with free delivery. Email confirmation was sent to me and also despatch confirmation was emailed! From order to dispatch, 3 hours! Can these people do no wrong? Has anybody else used these guys? www.dvddynamic.com

[This message has been edited by Cortex (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cortex (edited 12-12-2000).]

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, although I have not used dvddynamic I reckon all the Canada sites are the best I use dvdboxoffice, video-now, and there is also dv-depot and absound.ca. Although they take 2 or 3 weeks to deliver there prices are by far the best. I have probably saved over £500 in the last 2 or more years.

If the film is any good it's worth waiting for!!!

PLAY 24/7 is great for CD's which is my other past time.

3. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't used any Canadian companies personally but saving £2.66 (£17.99 from Play247 or £15.33 from DVD Dynamic) when you have to wait 2-3 weeks instead of 4-5 days seems hardly worth it.

Plus you have to work out how much money you owe them (from dollars to sterling), plus ordering anymore than 1 customs will charge you loads.

It doesn't seem worth it do me. I would use Play247.com everytime.

4. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received American Beauty from A&BSound in Canada today (Tuesday). I ordered on Thursday evening (8pm-ish). Total cost to my door? It says on my receipt, CAN$28.74, and a quick check on Yahoo:
    http://quote.yahoo.com/m5?a=28.74&s=CAD&t=GBP

...says right now that this equates to £12.99 ukp. *Fantastic*. 5 days to get to me, which is more or less the same time as Play and it's £3 cheaper.

Buy enough discs and a quid here, £3 there; soon that's a 'free' DVD !

Oh, and that £12.99 includes shipping.

A&BSound (www.absound.ca) doesn't have the best web site but they come up well on DVDPriceSearch (www.dvdpricesearch.com) frequently, and I order individually as their packaging comes direct, through customs, so whilst multiple discs might save on P&P a bit, the risk goes up unfortunately.

I find £17.99 for a R1 disc a bit expensive compared to A&B and www.DV-Depot.com where I mostly shop. But Play247 are *great* for R2 discs and CDs IMO.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

5. Ginge

Ginge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I though I would give this site a go DVDdynamic on anticipation of getting some cheap DVD. I ordered Shaft and after converting the price from Canadian $ to UK £ the price came to round about £12/13. Excellent I thought till I got an email back from them confirming my order and it has this on it :

Prices are in American Dollars

Oh well I supposed I should have looked into it more deeply, but it did only end up costing around £17 so can't grumble really, just so long as it gets here [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Ginge (edited 13-12-2000).]

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    My vote goes to absound.ca and play247 ... the latter in particular for 2 disk sets which they nearly always do for £17.99 to keep UK Customs happy (& it works for me too!!)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "plus ordering anymore than 1 customs will charge you loads."

I also use Play, but they are in Jersey. Therefore you are just as liable to get stuck by customs as the Canadian companies.
    In any case all these companies (Play included) know the score with UK customs, & post multiple orders seperately. I've only ever been 'got' once by customs, & that was in the early days with Box Office.
    I now use Absound instead of BO. Crap web site, but much better service. (more like the BO of 2 years ago)

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

8. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe this is an unfair test given the time of year, but I ordered some discs from Play247 one day after I placed an order for another disc with express.com.

My express.com disc arrived on Saturday and I'm still waiting for the Play247 discs. Plus they didn't have stock of one disc I wanted, when express.com had 2,000.

I'm not sure any saving in postage etc is worth the aggro, since I'll soon be chasing Play for my orders (they're coming from Jersey for Chrissake - how can mail from California beat them?) and with express I always get invoice confirmation. This service is worth something to me while I wait (impatiently) for my next fix to arrive.

If there's anyone from Play looks at this bulletin board, they should do something to sharpen up their act - buying online is all about the ability to distribute reliably and quickly and so far they're coming up way short in my opinion.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Has DVDBoxOffice improved of late then?
    I used them a lot but moved to Play for all round service.
    Wondering as I'm always looking for good deals.
    But Play will always be favourite (if you're reading [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]).

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 03-01-2001).]

10. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noted a few comments in uk.media.dvd lately that suggest DVDBO have quickened up quite a bit. Haven't tried them out to put it to the test, but these comments make me want to try them out again.

The only thing is, I don't believe their web site gives stock status which is a little bit unfortunate.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Glad you brought their website up. Great until they changed it. I don't like it as it is at the moment, but that's me. Also it's slower. However, it will be worth a look again I think.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

12. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have used Play24/7 a few times now and have found their service to be generally excellent but I will try the Canadian sites recommended.

One point re Play: I'd like the MiB 2 disc special but Play have it priced up at £29.99.I checked by e-mail and they confirmed the price was correct.This is more than RRP on some other sites.

I'm puzzled now as I got the Gladiator 2 disc set from Play for £17.99.Any ideas??

13. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Further to my earlier email, an update on the service from Play247 - it's rubbish. Express.comhave beaten them by a week and counting - how can discs arrive here from California more than a week before they do from Jersey? I won't be using 247 again methinks.

14. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ve used play exclusively since August when I got sick of paying customs.

They have given me flawless prompt service right up until I placed an order on 1/1/2001. After 6 days of no reply/dispatch I e mailed them.

Their answer was that the poor weather was preventing them from dispatching my goods.

I still havent got my disks.

This is their 1st bad delivery so I might give them a chance.

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.