R1 & R2 - is there a difference in the picture quality

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had heard someone say that on their particular equipment - 32" widescreen tv, and ntsc capable DVD player, that they can see a dffference between a R1 disc picture, and R2. They describe it with the R1 stuff as being able to see the individual horizontal lines making up the picture.

I've never noticed a difference on my setup - an older 25" Sony (4.3), and Pioneer 535 DVD, but i do intend getting a 32" wide soon, and am starting to get a little concerned that my R1 discs are going to look a bit ropey. Collection is about 70/30 - R2/R1

Can anyone clear up this point?

cheers

dean

I haven't noticed the difference with R1 and R2, never compared but i know when ive wached an R2 then put an R1 in i have never thought that it was any worse.

As for seeing lines on a widescreen maybe his TV was nazzed. If you can't see any difference on your setup now, then i cant see you seeing one with a widescreen.

I can just see the scan lines on an anamorphic NTSC picture; but they're blatant on a non-anamorphic NTSC picture. Can't see them at all on a PAL picture. Of course, scan lines are only visible on CRTs, not flat panels or projectors.

I don't like buying non-anamorphic NTSC material as a result (unless I'm forced to because it's not available in PAL). However, it has never stopped me buying anamorphic NTSC DVDs because to see the scan lines I have to look for them.

Being able to see the scan lines on a CRT is a good thing however - it means the TV delivers a nice, sharp, clear image! (However, it might also mean that you're sitting just too damn close to the TV :p)

The question would be more properly asked if it were to compare NTSC with PAL. It isn't true that R2 always = PAL. R2 from Japan is NTSC (ie, just like R1). Some other regions are similarly split.

Anyhow, a PAL picture consists of 576 horizontal lines; an NTSC one 480. So, yes, if you sit close enough to a large enough CRT (without any clever scaling or line-multiplying features inside or external) the scan lines may be more visible on NTSC.

In practice, however, most users sit far enough away to not see the difference. Many CRTs reproduce the picture so badly as to blur the line structure anyway. And users of flat panel devices and/or single-lens projectors, all by necessity have the 'benefit' of some sort of scaling, which conceals the effect.

In practice, too, there are other factors which can affect overall, subjective, picture quality to a greater extent than line structure. Which is why the more intelligent review/compare sites (like dvdcompare and michaeldvd) rarely rate a PAL title higher than an NTSC one, simply because of the differing format.

My DVD collection is mostly NTSC. And the theoretical coarser picture structure has little or no detrimental effect on my viewing pleasure.

thanks for the replies guys

taking all on board, i guess when i get the new set, i'll take note of which titles are anamorphic/non and see if i can tell the difference and if it bugs me etc. Heck, you could probably turn down the sharpness a bit if need be, as most sets seem to allow this.

cheers

dean

You can actually see the scan lines more easily if you tilt your head 90 degrees to either side.

Originally posted by bishman
You can actually see the scan lines more easily if you tilt your head 90 degrees to either side.
Damn. I'll have to stop lying on the sofa while I watch movies.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Damn. I'll have to stop lying on the sofa while I watch movies.

Just lean the sofa up against the wall. ;)

my understanding is that R1 NTSC looks better via component output/input while R2 PAL looks best via RGB.

So Deansimm when you are looking for the 32in set try a set with component inputs and RGBscart and playback one of your R1 discs v a R2 disc, assuming the shop will allow the test!

Originally posted by dgj
my understanding is that R1 NTSC looks better via component output/input while R2 PAL looks best via RGB.

Nope no reasons why this would be so whatsoever I'm afraid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom