1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 quality issue DVD or TV problem?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Comicman, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony 32FQ75 the other day. The only thing I am not happy with is that when I play R1 DVDs there is an issue with the quality. Now I am not a technical wiz and therefore I'm not sure if it is a TV issue or DVD player issure. I have the Pioneer DV340, which isn't a very expensive player, 210 when it came out, you can get for about 150 from Richer Sounds now. I never noticed this problem until I bought my new TV but I did go from 14inch to 32 so maybe the TV being so small was a good thing in this case.

Just to describe it better if you look closely at the screen you can see diagonal lines of movement over the colours, this is most apparent with animation. I was told that R1 is 60 hz and this may be to do with the effect I am seeing. The player is connected through RGB scart.

Also there is a slight halo effect which is apparent? This is also seen when watching TV but I think this is something that is noticed on bigger TVs, I noticed it in the showroom but didn't see it as much of an issue. Can this be prevented? Also the 100hz mode I am very dissapointed with - O.K the picture is steady but it is too digitised and you can see the digital horizontal scan lines. I can see myself not even using this feature.

Someone mentioned on another forum it is to do with NTSC and that the TV should automatically pick up on this. Someone also mentioned that S-Video would sort this problem out- will it?. Is S-Video better than scart in general or just best for the problem I have - does it sort out this NTSC issue? I'm really annoyed because I spent a small fortune on my TV and now all my R1 discs look terrible. My scart lead is around the £20 mark so is this an issue? Would I need to buy a more expensive one? Perhaps it is best to borrow some of the leads etc off someone to see if they make a difference.

If anyone knows anything about this or has seen a similar problem please let me know.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few quick things to try:

Your player might be outputting PAL60 for R1s rather than NTSC. Try switching the player to pure NTSC and see if that helps.

Use a scart cable that has the keywords "gold plated connectors", "oxygen free", and "individually shielded" (eg Ixos 126AV).

Try playing with the digital settings on the TV. Specifically, try turning off the DNR.

Might be stating the obvious, but I presume your player is actually set to output RGB rather than composite? (i.e. just connecting it to the RGB scart on the TV is not enough)

3. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is DNR? Also how do change the player to play NTSC instead of Pal60? I'm sure I haven't seen it in its setup options. Do all DVD players have this option built into them?

4. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about it being set to output RGB, again I don't think this is in the settings? Does this mean it is a case of getting a player that has this option?

5. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    this may be of no help what so ever but just to put your mind at ease I have a sony 32fq75 with an american DVD player (Pioneer dv-606D) attached via the front s-video connection. This picture is perfect. Things like noise reduction etc are turned off. 100hz is on.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DNR is Digital Noise Reduction.

Your DVD player probably has a setting in the menus. Some players only output pure NTSC however, e.g. most (all?) Sony players.

If it is not set to output RGB then you might be viewing a composite picture (which would be a good reason for the artefacts you are seeing). Check the DVD player menus again to see if there is an RGB setting (and check the manual). However, your player might not output RGB - it might only output S-Video (I'm not familiar with the player). In this case, make sure you connect it to the TV's S-Video scart (which is usually a different one to the RGB scart) and make sure you set the player to output S-Video.

Certainly, to view RGB, you need to have both an RGB-capable DVD player and an RGB-capable TV!