1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Playback problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marwhite, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Marwhite

Marwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have a bit of a problem when playing R1 discs - i tend to find that the lighter colours in the movie tend to flicker somewhat (light to dark). It's not a major problem, but now i've noticed it - it's beginning to annoy me. Any ideas how i could solve this? Would s-video help?

2. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If you can provide us with a lot more details we'll have a much better chance of helping you.

What DVD player, TV, amp, any other equipment connected to TV/amp like Sky, Tivo, VCR?

How is everything connected up? RF, composite, SCART, S Video, compnoent?

Cheers,
    Richard

3. Marwhite

Marwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops! Sorry about that.

Well, it's a Bush 28" widescreen and Panasonic DVD player (if the actual model numbers are more helpful, then i'll find out) At the moment, the DVD is connected direct to the back of the TV by Scart. We also have a video player but this also goes direct to the back of the TV and is not connected to the DVD player in any way. Don't know if this is any more helpful?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not technical but I seem to remember there are a couple of types of NTSC. Can you change anything within the DVD setup menus?

being a Bush, I'd be surprised if it can even understand NTSC so maybe the conversion is being done in the player?

DaveP

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hmm.

Could be caused by a few things. Cheap SCART lead (are you using the one that came with the DVD player? They're cheap as chips)? The Bush TV might be having problems understanding NTSC? Or the DVD player might not be doing a very good NTSC to PAL conversion job.

Try an S Video lead by all means (I'm assuming the TV has a S Video input somewhere).

Also try a good SCART lead.

But firstly read the DVD players manual and see if there's aswitch round the back that enables you to turn on/off the NTSC->PAL output conversion, or it may be an option in the menu. If there is one try it in both positions and see if one or the other looks better.

Also have a look at the TV menus and see if there's any settings that apply to the SCART socket / S Video socket you are using, such as TV Type or Signal Type - could have options such as Auto/PAL/NTSC - set it to AUTO or NTSC and see if ti makes a difference.

HTH,
    Richard