R1 ntsc dvds- rgb or svhs

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by coolhand101, Nov 26, 2003.

1. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well perhaps im being curious but having a few r1 dvds i remember that in the usa they use svhs or componant signals for there dvd feeds

does r1 ntsc dvds benefit better on our good old RGB or will i have to change the dvd setting from RGB to SVHS for R1 NTSC material for ANY improvement and if your wondering why i cant try it myself im on 1 week work course at the mo, but its just been on my mind.

oh the tv is my good old sony kv32fx60 i still marvel at its DVD picture quality

if the answer is obvious-sorry

thanks

2. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps i should explain a bit better.
    when playing r1 ntsc ie the change from pal to ntsc you can really see line structure and a faint flickering when close up. now i dont have this common problem of random picture colour but im pretty sure that the sony kv ouput pure ntsc. perhaps its watching soooo many pal discs that this problem is so obvious.

when i mean close to the set i mean laying down in front of it(so many times with pal dvds) but with ntsc its just so anoying.

perhaps im being too much of a purist but on CRT tvs pal looks so much better on r2 dvds than on r1 ntsc. PLEASE correct me if i am wrong though.
    my dvd is a tosh-sd-510 and a 0.5m fully wired scart(40 quid)going to the AV1 scart(rgb) the dvd player is setup for RGB.

OMG while i was writing this i just relized what the problem MIGHT be, if my tv does output pure ntsc wont it display the picture at 60hz instead of 100hz?????which would explain line structure and a slight flicker???
    if this is or any other reason for my slight problem, please post

thanks

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Hi there Coolhand,

My DVD collection is 90% R1 [NTSC]. On paper PAL SHOULD be better than NTSC through conventional CRT, but in practice there's not likely to be much, if any, noticable difference. It usually boils down to how your hardware deals with it.

I also owned a Sony Widescreen about 3-4 years ago. On that set I found that watching NTSC discs were massively improved using a pure S-Video connection (i.e under the front flap). RGB looked very poor indeed. However, on a later Panasonic model I had, RGB was fantastic, and blew the older Sony away. It might be worth you getting hold of (borrowing?) a good S-Video cable and having a bit of an experiment - see for yourself.

As for the 60hz/100hz thing, I doubt it is relevant. On my old Panny (100hz model) all my NTSC stuff was pumped through 100hz with no problems. How it is on your Sony though, I dunno. As a point of interest though, I am informed that Sony sets are unable to output a pure NTSC signal through RGB anyway; apparently it has to be enabled through the service menu:confused: but someone else may be able to fill you in better on that than I.

Hope you get to the bottom of this,

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

4. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for that info Lagavulin.

now i have a scart-svhs and a svhs-svhs(both ixos,gold)still packed away.

Are you saying use the scart-svhs(via rear av output) or a svhs-svhs to the front av for this method?

also i been checking the service menu on the sony for a couple of years and the only reference i can find to NTSC is scart 2 and 3 to get a stable colour pictures and the setting should be set to on, come to think of it now AV3 can be assign to the rear or front, hmmm
    well i will deffo try this out!

thanks again

5. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Hi there Coolhand,

Firstly, try both, but in my limited experience, yeah, definately try the S-Vid/S-Vid (to front panel). I found the transfer through this cable to be far more stable and faithful than through Scart.

Let me know how you get on. I'd like to know if things are improved or not? Cheers mate.

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

6. coolhand101

coolhand101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i finally sussed it.
    i have 2 dvds players, 1 is a R2 to scart 1(rgb) and the other is a multiregion connected by svhs to my amp then to the tv.
    after spends long hours this morning and trying all connections,it seems like my tv has trouble defying text clearly via svhs(scart or svhs lead) but via video or rgb via scart i get a clearer txt but not picture.
    so now my multiregion is in scart 1 rgb which is the best picture for both formats(detailed txt and pic).
    the reason i didnt try this before is because my R2 player is the tosh-510 and my MR is a 90 pound pioneer.
    time to buy a the tosh 900 MR or better i think.

thanks again for your info

7. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Glad to hear that mate, worth the time and effort eh? I'm not surprised that you're finding RGB better; on paper it is technically superior to S-Vid, but I know of certain sets that, for some odd reason, prefer S-Vid to RGB:confused:

You're welcome Coolhand:smashin:

Anyway, to be fair, Tosh DVD players are not the best money can buy, unless of course, you're aiming at the 9500 (circa. £1500/£1800:eek: ), and Pioneer do seem to be better at the budget and mid-range section of the market. I had a Pioneer 737 prior to my upgrade to the Denon 2900 and it was an awesome machine - just terrible with CD's:(

But yeah, save up your pennies mate and get a good all round MR machine, and sell on your others. Hope you get a good 'un!

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN