1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Miyazaki dvds confirmed (Spirited away etc)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by captaineyecatch, Jan 24, 2003.

1. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Great News :D
    taken from dvdfile.com
    Fans of the highly acclaimed and wildly successful Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki, the wait is almost over. Buena Vista Home Entertainment has announced the April 15th arrival of the first wave of new Miyazaki specials editions. Getting the two-disc deluxe treatment are Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky. All three will feature their original Japanese language soundtracks as well as new English dubs and plenty of extras. Watch this space for the full details, and expect a retail price of $29.99 each

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    damn. If the R1 extras are good, I might have to rebuy these. I've already got all the R2 releases.

I'd also think that if you are a big fan of Ghibli stuff, you'll probably already have these too. The Japanese versions all have English subs, and some have English dub tracks too.

But the extras are in Japanese, so it is tempting....I'm sure they had it planned like that - damn sales people. :(

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Definitely interesting, but I have serious doubts over what kind of extras the "House Of Mouse" will include, and/or fob Miyazaki fans off with.

I think I'll stick to importing the Japanese R2 discs, and complete my collection. That way, they will all look nice on my shelf, and be official Japanese Studio Ghibli releases.

Pooch

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They should be the same as the R2 japanese releases as the R3 releases are- But knowing what Di$ney are like - its worth waiting for more details. The good news is the licence Di$ney have with studio Ghibli stops them from editing the movies.

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Heres more details on the dvds - taken from www.dvdtimes.co.uk

Due to contractual obligations Disney have to release these films in their original uncut state, widescreen aspect ratios and original language, though the fans out there will already see that one minor change has already been made - that being a name change for Laputa, which is to be called Castle in the Sky. The reason for this change is due to the word Laputa having an unsatisfactory meaning in the Spanish language which is a relatively large seller in the US.

All three titles will be 2-disc Special Editions that for the most part will mimic the readily available Japanese and Hong Kong DVD releases. Retail is $29.99 each and here is what looks to be a fairly comprehensive feature list for each title courtesy of Amazon.com...

Spirited Away
    Anamorphic Widescreen
    Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Japanese (Dolby Digital 5.1), French, Spanish
    Subtitles: English
    Introduction by John Lasseter
    Behind The Microphone - voice talent featurette
    The Art of Spirited Away
    The Making of 'Spirited Away'
    Select Storyboard To Scene Comparison
    Original Japanese trailers

Kiki's Delivery Service
    Anamorphic Widescreen
    Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), Japanese (Dolby Digital 5.1), French, Spanish
    Original Japanese storyboards

Castle in the Sky
    Anamorphic Widescreen
    Original Japanese storyboards
    The main differences over the Asian DVD releases would appear to be the original stereo soundtracks found on Kiki and Laputa being remixed into new DD5.1 tracks, while Spirited Away takes a step back from DTS 6.1ES to DD5.1. Additions in terms of extras seem to be limited to voice talent featurettes that are almost certainly focused on the English Dubs, while Spirited Away has also gained some Making of featurettes. All titles will benefit from introductions from Pixar head honcho John Lasseter (who is also in charge of these Region 1 DVD releases) and will carry over the main Asian DVDs extra feature, the complete storyboards/final movie multi-angle feature.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just watched Kiki's delivery service- excellent ; enjoyed watching it.

Does anyone have the Region 1 DVD? What's it like? Good PQ & good Japanese 5.1 mix?

7. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IVE GOT MOST OF THE GHIBLI ON DVD AND THEY ALL ROCK QUALITY WISE, THOUGH ITS A PITY THEY DIDNT REVAMP THE SOUND FROM THE ORIGINAL RELEASES EG 5.1 ON SOME WOULD BE NICE!