1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 from dusk till dawn :(

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by SILVERBACK, Oct 14, 2001.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    all i can say is why does the region1 version have no anamorphic transfer an the region2 has.i have been a firm believer in region1 over region2 everytime but just lately things are not so good for region1 buyers.the mummy returns is one example from dusk till dawn another an by all accounts none of the films in the rocky boxset are anamorphic either on r1.i know r1 has most films first etc but its getting to a point where you take a gamble buying region1 films.what do you think :mad:

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The region 1 disc has been out ages (well over a year), so the comment about 'just lately things are not so good for region 1 buyers' is misplaced.

Things are better than ever for region 1 buyers - I've been buying region 1 discs since 1997 and the non-anamorphic discs are few and far between these days. It's also easy to find out if the transfer is anamorphic or not, and if it isn't then these days I just pass. In 97 there was no choice, and the large number of non-anamorphic Buena Vista discs I own is testament to that.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i stand corrected about the from dusk till dawn.but you must admit that region1 use to be the benchmark for discs but slowly but surely the other regions now have better versions of films.im not saying abandon ship on region1 but i guess we just have to be sure before to check other regions before we buy anymore. :p

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I agree it's worth checking the other regions first - The Mummy Returns does not include a DTS track on R1, but does on R4.

I will still generally go with region 1 due to the fact that the films will not be cut (Mummy Returns headbutt by Rachel Weisz cut by BBFC) and the extras are unrated. This generally guarantees that I see the film as intended, and that there are always as many, if not more, extras on the disc than the R2 counterpart.

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for the tip Jenz, but I knew the differences and went with R1 anyway as my main player is R1 only, otherwise I suffer the inadequacies of PS2 playback! :D

Since I upgraded my amp and speakers the difference between good DD and DTS mixes doesn't seem to be the 'night and day' issue it was previously, so I'm not so bothered about DTS these days. Never thought I'd say that, but it's true (and I do have most of the classic DTS discs that everyone mentions, including DTSES Discrete software).

I realise this isn't true for most people, so don't flame me - this is just my own opinion after upgrading to my THX system over the last couple of months.

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0