1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 DVDS AND CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MrFurious, Jul 10, 2001.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I am going to florida in 3 weeks{honeymoon}and i would like to buy some dvds out there,does anyone here have experiance or know how many i can bring back with me????thanks in advance :rolleyes:

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been to the US 3 times over the last two years and have always brought back some DVD's with me. I only brought back a max of about 5 each time, but thats because all i wanted to buy.

I find the best way is to put them in your suit case between clothes to protect them. You can even carry them in hand luggage and nobody will say anything. Sometimes customs will pick people at random to have a look at their suitcase. Out of the 3 times, i only saw customs people once and they were in the middle of checking somebody.

Even if you did get caught, you could always say you took them with you originally. Sounds silly, but hey you might have done that, right?

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: GarethH ]

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

To deal effectively with HM Customs, always do the following:

1) Stay polite no matter what. I know it sounds obvious, but they CAN make your life very difficult, if they want to.

2) Make sure all DVD's have been previously opened by you, so that they do not look like brand new purchases, especially if any of the titles are of a controversial nature. The reason for this being, that customs can't then tax you. They can't tax you for bringing too many back, nor can they tax you for bringing "new purchases" back into the UK. Opening them is done by you, because you can then say that you were visiting a relative, and have been LENT them for research purposes.

3) Alternatively, if you have any really "dodgy" horror or adult titles, ship them back to the UK, as individual parcels.

Hope some of this helps.

Pooch.

4. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fill some sandwich bags with flour or sugar and wear a bright hawaiian shirt. That will distract them from the discs! Although you may be strip searched and have to spend some time on the glass toilet :D

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glass toilet?
    I take it you know all about it then?

6. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Distant memories. It was a long time ago. Now, thanks to my new business venture I have a private plane that allows me to fly into the country at low level and land on a field in the middle of nowhere. ;) I dont even have a "luggage" allowance.

7. YETi

YETi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought back 15 when I went 2 years ago! You take a chance and hope you don't have that funny look about you ;)

8. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never had any trouble with customs. I was even searched once coming back from Amsterdam with a brand new copy of Clockwork Orange ("unavailable" in the UK at the time) and they did not bat an eyelid. I suppose it depends upon the amount you are bringing back, what sort of titles they are and what sort of mood they are in. If its just a small amount of R1 mainstream titles, then I would suggest being as brazen as possible about them, ie make no attempt to hide them in luggage. Opening them first is not a good idea as this might arouse suspicion in that there might be something far more dodgy on the disc than the titles suggest. A sure way to get them siezed, whatever they are! Research? I dont think this goes down well with customs, after all, this excuse could be used for anything! Customs are funny people and suspicions are easily aroused! :)

Shipping them back is a good idea, but you can do that from here.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    To be strictly LEGAL - DVDs form part of your "other goods" allowance which is, from memory £145 - worth per person. So long as you don't exceed this, then you are within the law and can legally go straight throught the green channel.

Unless you have anything which is on the "Obscene Publications" list - in which case, they do have a right to confiscate.

If you exceed the £145 threshold - you SHOULD go thru the red channel and declare everything you have bought. They will be fair with you and charge you on the excess - the amount of duty and VAT due.

You could, of course, simply look innocent, and go thru the green channel anyway.

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As I understand it, if you post them back to yourself and tick the sticky label as 'gift', they'll come through ok.
    If you've ever had Play discs, you'll know the label I mean.
    But I reckon they'd get suspicious on the 25th 'gift' to your house! :D

Enjoy your honeymoon.
    ;)
    Does she know your not planning to give her your full attention? :D

[ 13-07-2001: Message edited by: General Skanky ]

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MrF,

I've been over to the States quite a few times in the last few years. I've been very disappointed. Generally you won't find any shop with cheaper discs than DVDBoxOffice.

You won't get to watch them any sooner either. If you order on the web before you go away they'll be in your hall way when you get back. No customs worries, cheaper and a nice free jiffy bag! I release it's not as exciting as buying over there but generally you won't gain anything. I would save the suite case space for an xbox or a new piece of hc kit. :(

12. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LV426 is slightly out with the customs allowances:

Goods Obtained Outside The European Community
    Below are the maximum amounts that you are allowed to bring into the UK. If you exceed the limits, then you will have to pay the duty on the excess. However, if you exceed the "£136 worth of all other goods ...." limit mentioned below, you will have to pay duty on the FULL value and not just on the amount above the £136 limit.

200 cigarettes; or 100 cigarillos; or 50 cigars; or 250 gms of tobacco.
    PLUS
    2 litres of still table wine.
    PLUS
    1 litre of spirits, or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or
    2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs.
    PLUS
    60cc/ml of perfume,
    PLUS
    250cc/ml of table water
    PLUS
    £136 worth of all other goods including gifts and souvenirs.

Having spent 3 years on a project where I travelled from the UK to the USA about 2/3 times a month, my advice would be to declare some stuff if you're worried, but just a small amount over the limits. Customs will be so surprised you've bothered to declare anything they won't even check your suitcases!! This has worked for me on at least half a dozen times.

13. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always ask one of them the time as i walk casually through the nothing to declare. I had to buy extra bags last time to get all my stuff back...looked well dodgy. I had to come into birmingham from boston and there werent any customs guys arround at all.

Mike

14. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Florida last year and I bought back about 6 titles with no problems. I shopped around for the cheapest prices but when I came home it still worked out cheaper to have ordered them on the net from Play or Amazon. I won't bring back so many next time. Best thing was T2 had just come out and was listed as out of stock on every site as a supposed stock shortage. The very day I got there Virgin in Times Square had loads of copies and so did every other retailer!