1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 DVD release date for unreleased "Exorcist" movie.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Sep 15, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    My last post on this came up blank - here's hoping you can read this one!

Paul Schrader's movie Dominion the "prequel" to The Exorcist, is released on R1 DVD on October 25th.

For those that don't know, this movie was completed by Schrader and was a cerebral, adult chiller. The studio suits were horrified because they wanted yet another stupid action movie to sell to brain dead 15 year olds in Kansas.

So, they shelved this movie (bye-bye $100 million :hiya: ) and brought in a new director (Renny Harlin) and a new script and started again. Note - they didn't re-shoot a few scenes or tweak the footage, they made a whole new movie.

Harlin gave the studio the movie they wanted with the required DUUUH! factor, and -quel surprise- it was a monumental turkey that tanked at the box-office, while those priviliged few that had seen Schrader's version had nothing but praise for it.

So, hot on the heels of the DVD release of Harlin's version doing similarly stinko business to the cinema release, the studio finally gives us the movie we should have had in the first place.

Looking forward to this immensely! :smashin:

2. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    From what I read on Alt.video.dvd this one is even worse than the Harlin version.
    I'll give it a watch though.

3. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    The UK R2 release of Schrader's "Dominion - Prequel To The Exorcist" is on 17/10/05.

For those wanting the full demonic hit, both Schrader's and Harlin's films are in the upcoming R2 5 disc box set "The Exorcist Collection" also released on 17/10/05 which contains all films in the 'franchise' except the so-called director's cut of the original movie.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Well "Exorcist 2" and the Renny Harlin movie are practically unwatchable, so no need to dip for a 5 disc box set there. :thumbsdow

I've had two people who've watched a download of the Schrader version tell me that it was pants, but, they liked the Harlin version!

Having seen the Harlin version (redefines the term "disastrous"), I find it hard to believe that a film from the writer of "Taxi Driver", "Raging Bull", "Mishima", etc, could be worse than this.

Still - we'll see next month.

5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've got the 5 discer on pre-order from a very good supplier who put the set up at a miss-price of £14.99 - they're honouring this price but it's back up to £23.99 now!

Sold my old Exorcist Trilogy set to a someone for £12 so that means I get the Schrader version for £3 = result! Haven't seen either of the prequels yet - really looking forward to Schrader's film, even if it turns out to be a missfire I'm sure there will be something of interest in it. Expecting Harlin's movie to be pretty trashy from what I've heard and I'm not a fan of his previous output (except for Deep Blue Sea, which is a very guilty pleasure :D ) but I'm looking at it as a kind of freebie extra in this set anyway.

6. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I didn't know that the Schrader version had been completed, I thought that they'd only just started filming it before the artistic differences between him adn the studio had kicked in.

I watched the Harlin film and quite enjoyed it. Although that was possibly helped by having Stellan Skarsgård in it who I think is a fine actor and made a better younger Father Merrin than Ewan McGregor did as a young Obi Wan.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Well - watched this last night. Better than the Renny Harlin version (which, let's face it wouldn't be difficult) but still a disappointment considering Paul Schrader's track record.

Nice atmospheric build up to... erm, nothing in particular. The actual exorcism seemed like a hastily cobbled together afterthought in place of a proper ending.

:thumbsdow

8. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yes, it's a bit disappointing isn't it? Still interesting, mind (I admit, I'm a bit of a Schrader fanboy).

And Skarsgård is loads better in this than Harlin's version.