1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Die Hard Trilogy - third film

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dorian, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I had the original R2 Die Hard With a Vengeance release which was cut to ribbons, a mistakenly released print. Got it refunded, but decided to buy something else.

This Christmas I got the R1 Trilogy box-set and have just watched the third film. Is it one of the worst edited films ever or is this release taken from the wrong print as the original R2 release was?

Problems:

a) at the end of the scene when Simon blows the tube train up, McClane is leaning out of a carriage laughing away. Zeus turns up, and then CUT.
    b) when the Germans bust into Fort Knox, a guard opens a door to see them. He slams the door and dives on the floor. CUT and they are all captured and tied up.
    c) In the rainy car chase McClane shoots at the Germans. CUT Next thing they are both dead in the SUV.
    d) When McClane and Zeus get aboard the boat, quite frankly it is impossible to tell what is going on. Suddenly a guard is killed by the falling jeep and it all works out fine. Is this just snappy editing covering up implausibility?

It's a great film, but is it one of those films that got snipped from three hours to two? Or am I noticing the effect the Oklahoma bombing had on the storyline? This release still seems to be missing bits, what's going on?

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i've had my copy of the R1 trilogy for nearly two years now and i haven't watched them in a while. i dont remember the problems you've noticed, but to be honest while i love the die hard trilogy (all 3 would be in my top 20 films of all time) i tend to turn off my brain when i watch action films - too much thinking always ruins the plot.

Gary

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    SPOILER ALERT.

Sounds like cuts for me:

In b) the girlie comes from the back and cuts the guards throat, in c) I think to remember he shots them point blank after getting out of his car (wreckage) and in d) one of the Germans is cut into half by the steel wire when it snaps.

All this is on the RC1 - or perhaps I was watching another movie ... ? :rolleyes:

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Well I checked my Region 1 version of "DH With A Vengeance", and it's certainly complete, uncut and uncensored, including the footage you think is missing!

Pooch

5. Lippy

Lippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I get mine I will double check - however I defo remember them in a friends copy that I viewed a while ago.

You sure you werent blinking!!! ;)

Lippy

6. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes I was. Oh I thought you said drinking:D

In spite of a few Stella's I still think the editing is dodgy. Knowing the history of this film on DVD it's easy to think that it might not be quite right. There are a few bits that don't seem quite right, but it's still a top film.

Reiner, yes those bits were in, they were the bits that weren't in the first R2 release weren't they?

Cheers.

7. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears that all versions of this film worldwide have been cut by the distributer...

From http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0112864:

"The film was pre-cut by 20th Century Fox in America before it's release on DVD and VHS, and it was this cut that was released worldwide. The 12 seconds of cuts include some chain-whipping in the fight between McClane and Targo. The R1 Special Edition is the most complete version of the film to date (August 2002)."

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Reiner, yes those bits were in, they were the bits that weren't in the first R2 release weren't they?

Sorry, no clue about the R2 releases. They just don't sell down here ... ;)

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

The original single disc R2 version, contained a heavily censored version of the film.

The re-release, was less-cut. However, it's still not as uncut as the R1 Special Edition DH box set.

My advice - get the R1 box set, with all 3 films together!

Pooch