1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 Die Hard Trilogy query

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jul 25, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi All,

MAybe one of you can help me out with this rather unusual and interesting query.

I've just finished watching Disc 1 of "Die Hard With A Vengeance", and was really enjoying the DTS explosions and crystal-clear anamorphic picture, when an odd thing happened.

During Chapter 13, on my multi-region Pioneer 626D DVD player, approximately 65 minutes into the movie, when the camera pans onto the Federal Bank building (we see the name), I noted that underneath, in French subtitles, the translation for Federal Reserve Bank came on screen! :eek:

The same thing happened, a few moments later, when McClaine enters the bank, after the bad guys have taken it over, and they speak in their own language. On the actual film itself, you get English translations, in white lettering. And on the black widescreen bars, you also get French translations as well!

This is so bizarre, as no other instances of this happen, in the remainder of the movie - only in Chapter 13, despite other segments of the movie, having in-screen English translations, just as the cinema versions did.

I have checked, and triple checked that the subtitles are off, both via the DVD's on-screen menu system, and with the "Subtitle" button on my DVD remote, and they are both set to OFF.

So why do I get this odd French subtitle thing happening?! Could it be the master Fox have used, that has somehow got screwed-up a bit, and these subtitles have accidentally been permanently inserted, when there shouldn't be any, or is this a once-off, unique DVD that I own? Have any of you had the same problem?

Any help please? I know it's not a big issue, but it's just a minor annoyance that I'd like to get fixed properly.

Pooch

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    No probs on my Tosh 100.

I can only guess it's a minor (though intensely annoying no doubt) software bug that only manifests itself with certain players (& firmware).