R1 canadian or US, whats the diff please

Taz69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me the diff or resale value of R1 dvds, if they are Canadian or US source

Thanks

Taz69

The only difference is Canadian versions normally have french writing on the cover, people who collect DVD's sometimes don't like it.

some canadian DVDs also drop extras (monster Inc Canada has no FX track but french 5.1 instead) or soundtracks (I am Sam Canada drops the english DTS in favor of a French DD5.1)
I think that french writing on th cover should be the least problem
(it is for me)
HTH

Thanks chaps, is there a site which tells me the things dropped like DTS tracks etc.

Taz69

well for I am Sam for example I checked all current reviews with www.dvd-basen.dk, which all listed english DTS and NO french track
then I compaired it to the specifications from www.dvdsoon.com
they list a french and english DD5.1, but no DTS, and that DVD is released by Alliance (canadian studio)
All of which leads to the conclusion that the Canadian loses the DTS, even UKR2 has that one!!

Yet I find it very difficult to check that for all titles esp. those that are only supposed to come out in a few weeks time, where no reviews are available.
www.futureent.com tell u if they sell the US or Canadian disc.
Cdwow and most others don't.
cdwow have it for £9.99 which would be great for the USdisc, But I'm not willing to sacrifice the DTS track for a useless(my opinion) french dub
HTH

Not so usless if you can only speak French!!!
Pally voo fransay?

Originally posted by bowenjones
Not so usless if you can only speak French!!!
Pally voo fransay?

hehe I CAN speak french(and more). Living in Luxembourg I had to endure dubbed films(german and french) for 18 years. Then DVD came along and all is fine now.Those who don't want to watch films in the original language can watch'em on dubbed P&S VHS for all I care. And there's also the possibility of watching it in the original language with subs in a language u understand. That way people can learn the language easier.
I couldn't imagine watching Amelie in anything else then french why would I wanna watch an english or american film in french or german??

for all those who don't agree....erm let's debate but don't kill me please:rolleyes:
They can always put additional soundtracks on DVDs as long as they don't drop anything else.
but that's only me and probably a totaly different topic to How To Find The Difference Between US and Canadian R1s

Please tell me- what language is "more"?

Originally posted by bowenjones
Please tell me- what language is "more"?
well I learned luxembourgish from birth, german when I was 8, french when I was 9, english when I was 13 and spanish (not fluent though) when I was 15. As luxembourgish is close to dutch I can also read dutch
I know a bit intimidating for some. But hey that's the advantage of living in a small country.:)

Lux, what you doing away from dvd debate?;)

Originally posted by Smurfin
Lux, what you doing away from dvd debate?;)
nothing just talking....ok I'll go back now, sorry:rolleyes:

I thought I'd broaden my horizon and also to get some info on Toshiba and RCE. then I realised that I can spend even more time on the net talking about DVD.
who else is on here then?

Not sure mate, I'm the resident debate lurker here:D

btw, welcome the av forums, it's good here, except I can't swear as much or hurl abuse at PIP;)

Lux, thanks for your info on I am Sam and canadian releases, I bought I am Sam R1 before your reply, and I didnt check to see if it was a Canadian or US release, it came today as a canadian release, I 4t oh no, no DTS, but after checking on the disc, there it was glorious DTS aswell as 5.1 eng/french. Just 4t you would like to know m8

Taz69

Has anyone seen the R1 LOTR Gift Pack yet? I have ordered from DVDSoon and am wondering what/if the differences are on the canadian version of the packaging etc?

Originally posted by Taz69
oh no, no DTS, but after checking on the disc, there it was glorious DTS aswell as 5.1 eng/french. Just 4t you would like to know m8

Taz69
Are u saying that the Canadian disc has English5.1 and english DTS and french 5.1. I take it it loses the english2.0
what about extras?
I'm looking for the following
1)Audio cammentary
2)trailer
3)deleted/extended scenes
4)making of +-43min

are those on there???
I can get it for a tenner from cdwow
cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel