1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 and R2 DVDs on large 36"+ screens

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by USAgent, May 25, 2001.

1. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Home Cinema system, based around a Sony KV-36FS70. After much playing around, I would like to say that the difference in resolution between NTSC R1 and PAL R2 discs, 'is' noticable on large TVs. This may not be a shock to the experts here, but as a newcomer I am really surprised I hadn't seen anyone mention this on the boards in casual conversation..
    Previously, I was opting for R1 discs whenever the content was better than the R2 equivalent (by comparing on the Rewind website), and whenever a disc was no different I was choosing the R1 disc anyway; I realise now though, I should be buying the R2 disc instead if the content is equal, to get the better resolution. It may seem obvious, but no-one had pointed it out before - this may be because on smaller TVs the differences were difficult to discern, but nowerdays I'd say this is more of an issue.

That's it really, just thought other newbies might find that point useful.

C ya.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ntsc sacrafices a lot of the resolution to get a higher scan rate 60hz instead of 50hz . i personaly tend to go r2 to get that extra res

if you think it is bad on a 36" you have to see it on a projector. i find it unwatchable. ok if you have a line double it's ok if not it looks dredfull compaired to pal , just my opinion though.

i would prefere a r2 disk with a few less features (lets face it how often do you use the extras , they are nice to have but not esential) to gain the extra res

the one thing i do get f***ed off about is them taking the dts track off 90% of the r2 disks. what's that all about. if it's to make room for the extra res in pal i would gladly lose one of the special features (picture gal ect)to make the room
    how many think the same??

thanks
    simon

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we can only hope

the us arn't happy with getting all the best hardware at the cheepest price

they have to have better f***ing sound and features on there dvds. at least we have a better video standard (i would prefer pal anyday)

the best of luck in you'r search for the best dvds
    simon

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about that little rant . i am anything but anti american . i just get so frustrated with what they have and we don't

it would be just so nice for them to at least give us the sort of dvd that they have. all you have to do is look in this mag at the dvd reviews and see what the reviewers think of this. why take an exalent r1 edition and take all the good stuff off before we get it. if you ask me they might as well tell everyone to import there dvds

they shove regional coading on us to stop us importing then remove everything that makes a good dvd , so we have to import if we want such things as the dts that are systems are just crying out for

it's sad to spend all are cash on a dts equiped amp and know that we are not getting the best out of it

5. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on Squid. DTS again, is the same reason I've gone down the R1 path.. very frustrating.
    Hopefully we're going to see a change though over the coming year as the format get's more popular.