1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R THERE ANY GOOD TV`s OUT THERE?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pauliepie, Dec 27, 2002.

1. pauliepie

pauliepie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of purchasing a 28" widescreen tv. As i have just finished decorating the front room and coincedently it being the Sales time, i thought this is the ideal time to go out and buy a t.v.
    This is my first time on this site(which is very useful), and a good percentage of t.v`s are getting negative reviews!!
    My question is : are there any decent sets out there that people are happy with ??
    I am looking in the price bracket of between £450-£750.
    I just want something with a decent clear picture and sound?

Any feedback off customers who are satisfied with their sets, can you let me know.

Thanks
    Paul (wolvo):p

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you sure you want a 28" set, it is very small and will display a smaller 4:3 picture than a normal 25" set.

Even in my small lounge I have a 36" set and you would probably be better looking for a 32" as a minimum.

Main use for 28" sets is probably in bedrooms?

You will have to decide what quality you want, flat or curved screen, whether the tv will handle the sound or if you will need a seperate digital decoder, what picture source will be etc. IE if you have no digital signal source or dvd player there is absolutely no point in even considering a widescreen as it will not be utilised.

You would get more useful feedback if you decide on a shortlist of sets you like the look off and which meet your expectations, and then come back to the group for advice on these sets in actual use.

3. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am looking to buy a new TV or plasma screen! BUT what to go for??? At first after reading all the good press I decided on a Phillips 9527 cos it was supposed to be a fantastic picture and doent have surround built in (as I have a pioneer 859) but after looking around on this forum and reading comment about "black line syndrom" im having second thoughts! Ive also been looking at the cheaper end of the plasma screen market say samsung and the LG! I understand these displays wont be as good as say a £6K pioneer but I do like the idea of them at under £3K with tuner stand and speakers! If I were still to go for a CRT it would be 32" and in plasma screens £3k max! SO any suggestions?? Bearing in mind picture quality is my main concern!

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Some things to think about.
    I agree for the main set you would be better with a 32 inch.
    As to the 4:3 picture being small on a 28 inch it will be but most sets do some form of stretching the picture to fill the screen, although this can look distorted. Or you could just zoom it but you would miss some of the picture and quality.
    Then again a lot of programs today transmit in 16:9 so they will be round the same size as watching on a 4:3 set.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
  6. pauliepie

pauliepie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:
    Thanx for replies, not knowing too much about tv`s !, i wil go on your advise with a 32" instead of a 28"!. I thought the only difference was a 4" larger screen( you can tell i`m a beginner - thats what my missis says anyway?).
    I want a widescreen, as i have a dvd.
    I`m not sure whether to have the tv with a good sound or use a home cinema set-up speaker system?, what do you think????
    Does this info help in narrowing down a set.
    Is there anything else i should watch out for....

Speak to you later guys
    PAUL

7. Christ

Christ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    32" Widescreens do look very overpowering in a smaller living room, I know people who have exchanged these sets for the 28" equivilent. However, if you have a larger room then I would agree with what others have said and go for the 32"

8. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a the Sony 32fx66 and it is great the picture quality is fantastic and the sound is good too highly reccomend it! .......still worth getting a surround system tho' as 5.1 is 1000 times better than the normal sound generated from a standard nicam set.

From my experience with the 32pw9527 i would not reccomend it I had one for a week and backed it the picture suffers shimmering on fast action and shows an over pixelated display on shots with lots of colour like music videos......Only my opinion tho' as my mate has one of these and loves it!!:D

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    I personally think it is better to put the money into a good picture rather than spreading it on sound also. Then later you can integrate the TV with your Hi-Fi with a dedicated processor or a surround amp.
    You can also hook the TV up to the Hi-Fi for the time being for better stereo if you have room for the speakers at the either side of the TV set(not to close though as un-shielded speakers can affect the TV).

What is your viewing distance to the TV?

10. pauliepie

pauliepie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My living room is shaped like a L, and i have two setee`s both about 6-7 feet away from the set.
    The sony 32fx66 seems to have a good write up, has anybody else got one !, if so what info can you give about it, i.e: good points , bad points. How much are they retailing at and where is the best place to purchase one.
    Are there any other sets i can put into a shortlist of 3 of 32" widescreens which you are well satisfied with???

Happy new year to all of those who have contributed - cheers.

Paul...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Yes that is a similar setup to me (6’ 10” then + a bit more to where you head is). 32” set no problem.