+R/-R compatibilty

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dood, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've read with interest the posts in the sticky above. My conclusion was that -R is generally more compatible with most players.

My local DVD hire place no longer hires out original DVD discs as the owner complains of high rates of damaged discs. As a result he makes copies of his originals for hire (obviously copywrite infringement!). He used to copy onto -R so I thought that the purchase of my new tosh XS32 would have no problems playing these discs.

Horror of horrors! I found out after getting my player that this chap has switched to using +R. I called him to tell him that these don't play in my superduper fandango tosh. He told me that I should use an el cheapo machine as these play anything you throw at them. Surprisingly, he said that he had to stop using -R as he was getting lots of complaints about non-compatibilty. Ever since he has switched to +R, I am just the second person to complain.

This seems to contradict the general consensus. Could it be that -R is more compatible on branded units and +R on no-name brand DVD players?

Another interesting point is that this chap removes region and RCE encoding, retains the original dolby digital soundtrack but puts back the macrovision code - obviously to prevent competition!

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you tried one of his +R's? I only ask because I have a Tosh and it plays +R's that I make on my PC perfectly. These sound similar to your rental guy, the ones I make are basically copys of commercial DVD's made to protect the originals from the kids tendency to break/scratch them. I remove the ergion coding, RCE and retain teh soundtrack, but I don't put back the macrovision, and wouldn't know how to!

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    allegedly
    80% of standalones play +r, 90% or standalones play -r, 99% of standalones play +r with bitsetting to rom

4. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have agreed with the -R being more compatible than +R until I started hearing stories from other people. I own a Philips DVDR880 and it has played EVERY recordable disc, including really cheap DVD- and DVD+ discs.
    My Philips being a +R/RW machine, I have made copies for many people and all of them have had no problem. I have lent some DVD- copied movies and for some reason, most people come back to me to say they can't play them. The machines used include really cheap DVD players and some older but expensive Sony and Panasonic players, all of which play DVD+ discs fine.
    It may be down to the quality of the media, or the machine that made the discs, or perhaps, both??!!
    There are no real statistics for playback compatibility because although some machines playback DVD-/+ discs, they don't state it in the specs. I have found that some really cheap machines will play my DVD+RW discs but more expensive ones won't, its just been hit and miss. All I know is that my Philips DVDR880, using TDK, Memorex and Ricoh branded discs have never failed to play back on other people machines!

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Lots of machines have +r playing deliberately disabled by the manufacturer because they have to pay philips royalties for every +r machine they produce. Players from China, don't do this cos they don't give a stuff about royalties. +r disks bitset to roms will play because there is no royalties to pay. +rw is pretty much the same.

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yes, I did try one of his +R discs and it did not play in my tosh but it did play in my LG.

7. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Different PC DVD burners act different. My Nec 1300 can´t burn DVD+R with Booklet type (on others you can). That means that the Toshiba RDXS32 can´t play it. I suppose that´s the case for you DOOD!

Tell your friende to change the settings to Booklet type or change DVD burner!

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJCLARK1's post is complete nonsense.
    Playback of DVD+R on other players has no relation to payments of royalties whatsoever.The only time Philips receive a royalty is from companies paying for a licence to use their DVD+RW format on their recorders.
    It was felt at one time that Panasonic had deliberately disabled DVD+ playback on their players,but this was shortlived,unconfirmed and has never cropped up again,on any players.

9. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Make sure the guy has his dvd+r bitsettting to DVD-ROM for highest compatibility.

10. Lordedmond

Lordedmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phelings

Panasonic recorders will not play +R or +RW
    I have last Friday spoken to the CS dept and they say NO, they have emailed me with the same info they only use -R or DVD-RAM

The reason i say this is because I was going to buy one of their top end machines but did not do so because I have a large collection of slide shows on +R. plus I have a large stock of +R disc's

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny.My Panasonic recorder played +R and +RW.-R and RAM is recording only,nothing to do with playback.Although they are listed as unsuitable discs this is for recording only.In fact current Panasonic recorders are one of the few that will play -RW(VR) aswell.
    I don't think you can trust Panasonic CS at all.If you ask them if their machines will record NTSC they will tell you they cannot,when everyone on here knows they can.
    The official line from them will be to cover their backs if playback problems occur

12. Lordedmond

Lordedmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok

If thats the case thier CS cost them a sale.