R.I.P Passive OLED 3D TV + 3D revival petition

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by mclingo, Jan 5, 2017.

1. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,221
    Well its finally here, LG have delivered the final nail in the coffin for 3D TV, for some, those with large 3D collections like myself this is nothing short of a total disaster.

3D coupled with a large OLED TV was just wonderful, sublime even, LG must have know this but completely failed to capitalize on it, they could have kept this feature and had an option nobody else had. For me OLED is high end which means they also need to be Rich in features, my 12 month old 65EF950 will be my last "High end" TV I will buy, i'll probably go back to mid range LED when this one wears out, I see no point spending £3500 on a TV again.

I just hope we still see 3D blurays for while longer, I was hope as china are still bang into it that there would still be 3D knocking about, perhaps there will be at some point, or maybe they will come back as Glasses free 3D TV.

Petition to revive 3D as a feature, please sign.

LG Electronics: LG Electronics - Please revive 3D on a 2018 OLED TV model

Rest in peace OLED Passive 3D

:(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    It seems as though the UHD spec forced this move having not included 3D. It means that production companies have to choose between having an UHD/HDR disc and a normal 3D Blu-Ray. Those that wish to remain producing both now have to make two discs. When there is a choice of one or the other, they will of course choose the UHD/HDR version.

3. steelman1991

steelman1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    LOL - you really need to get over this ;)

These "High End" TV's are still "rich in features"........................... just not one you need/like.

Time to let go :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Well maybe it will pick up again after all 25 avatar sequels come out

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +775
    Oh well, I've had my Kuro plasma for 8/9 years now so you'll just have to keep your 3D tv until it stops working. Could be another 10 years or more!?

6. thewoe2

thewoe2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Still got my OLED C6 with 3D, im happy :)

7. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    They already have to choose between UHD, Blu-ray and DVD. One more isn't going to make a difference. There is never just a choice for them of releasing only one format and if there was it wouldn't be UHD but rather DVD...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    It's slightly different splitting consumers that will buy DVD+Blu-ray to splitting Blu-ray & UHD Blu-ray.

To start production I presume they have to project a profit and it looks like many companies will just drop 3D production for this reason. They won't sell enough.

I'm not against 3D but there really did the format no favours by not including it in the UHD spec. I guess that's why we're witnessing all TV manufactures dropping it.

9. Robbie G

Robbie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Meh. In a few years we'll all be sitting in virtual IMAX cinemas that make passive OLED 3D look like VR from 1992.

10. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    We'll have to see what Disney and Marvell do 3D wise in the next 12 months as they are the largest producers and sellers of 3D disks. I'd expect both of these to continue with 3D for at least their top titles for some time. Unless cinemas stop showing 3D the additional costs to prepare a master of an existing 3D title for 3D blu-ray release is small fry.

11. Robbie G

Robbie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can't help but think they'd be reluctant to bother in the face of a drastically shrinking market. Hope I'm wrong.

12. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    Has the installed user base of 3d sets vanished since yesterday...
    It will be quite some time, not least because none of these new sets are in the shops, for the number of 3D capable sets drop to the level to produce a "drastically shrinking market"
    Come back in 18 to 24 months and see if the studios are still producing 3d blu-rays.

13. storm

storm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    3D always was a gimmick, it's good to see LG focusing on where consumer traction is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    I'm a 3D fan and as it's never been as good as it is on LG OLEDs now I think it's a shame that potentially I won't be able to watch them once my E6 dies.

I noticed tonight that although Trolls was a 3D release at the cinema it doesn't look like there will be a 3D Blu-ray release, unless it's going to be like The Force Awakens where the 3D release is months behind (but judging by CES I doubt it). A bit of a sh*tter seeing as they'd already done the 3D work and I get asked daily when we can watch it at home in 3D.

15. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    Tell that to James Cameron, you know the guy who is a passionate advocate of 3D and made the two highest grossing movies of all time. That 'gimmick' pulled in over 3 billion USD for Avatar.

16. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +775
    I think the cinema is a different proposition for 3D entirely. I might go to the cinema once every 2 months. On that rare occasion I may be prepared to wear 3D glasses. But every day.... no thanks.

17. Matson

Matson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,179
    3D isn't a gimmick. Sure there are movies that are Gimmicky which all the intentional popout effects ect but movies where 3D really shined for me was the ones that added depth to the image where it felt like you where really looking into a window into that world. I recently watched all 3 Hobbit movies and they felt like I was looking into a window into this amazing world and everything just had so much depth and I cant imagine watching those movies without 3D now. Its a shame that its gone from TV's and that the 2016 models will be the last 3D movies we get. At least for now.

18. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    Do you wear sunglasses? The LG 3D glasses are both lighter and more comfortable to wear than these.

19. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    3D might have been just another sales feature at the start, but now the development costs are amortized and there's loads on 3D blus around it's a shame that that Samsung and then LG saw fit to turn things around and imply that having it was a detriment, somehow making your set old-fashioned and that you'd be better off without. OK remove the cost of the glasses but like so many features that only a few use it could have been left in.

I only experienced active on a basic Sony and its not enjoyable for a movie duration, but now I'll never get to see OLED passive 3D

20. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +775
    I only wear sunglasses out of necessity and will take them off as soon as I can. If I press lightly on the bridge of my nose it brings about a really unpleasant sensation. Probably just me but I find them a real distraction when I'm watching a movie.

21. storm

storm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sales figures are no guarantees something isn't a gimmick. Ask Nintendo.... I know of nobody that's 3D capable that actually still uses it, the glasses gather dust in the cupboard next to the wii-fit

22. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    "Markets are never wrong, opinions are."

23. Persian McLovin

Persian McLovin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    A real shame...watching 3D on my 65" E6 wows not only myself but EVERYONE who visits when it's movie night. In fact to be honest the 3D has more of a wow effect than 4K.

On the other hand the already amazing 2016 OLEDs just got legendary status because of this feature alone.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  24. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,518
    Well, don't press on the bridge of your nose then :)
    What you need are my opti-grab glasses lift which raises glasses from sitting on the bridge of your nose but instead suspends them a little above it.
    image.jpeg

25. SimonST

SimonST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,503
    Nothing to do but make the most of our sets and the glorious 3D within them until the last ounce of life fades from those organic diodes.

Let's just hope long-term reliability is more Pioneer and less Pine Veneer.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  26. olisun

olisun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I hope they make a U-turn and announce another set with 3D or release 3D sets down the line.

I still haven't found any compelling reason from the manufacturers why they decided to drop 3D.

The viewer has a choice, if they don't want to watch 3D then they have an option. A 3D TV doesn't mean that there is NO option to turn off 3D.

I am really upset with the manufacturers decision to drop 3D. I currently have a 1080p 3D OLED set and was looking to upgrade to a 3D 4K OLED set but I guess I am going to hold onto my set until it dies.

While 4K looks good I would anyways trade it for a 3D OLED set.

27. storm

storm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Cost, manufacturing capacity. LG are making OLED for themselves, Sony and Panasonic, and consumers have voted with their wallets. The cheaper, non-3D sets are getting mass market adoption, the more expensive 3D ones are being sidelined. It makes perfect sense to make what people want, not what they don't.

28. olisun

olisun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I haven't seen non-3D sets much cheaper than 3D sets.

Unless I am completely mistaken.

29. aido

aido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Personally I think the reason they dropped 3D was because they had to so that they could hit the extra brightness figures they wanted - whether that be by removing the 3d filter or changing the panel structure.

All these companies would likely still charge the same for non 3D or 3D capable sets.

It will be interesting to see the prices but I'd make a guess now that the new C7 and E7 will be priced similar (if not even higher) than the C6 and E6 were and some of that may be due to Brexit / the value of the GBP against the USD.

If 3D was giving them issues hitting brightness targets it's a shame they didn't offer a lower end (ie dimmer) version that still had 3D for those that wanted it. Choice is always good and now it's gone.

30. Persian McLovin

Persian McLovin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Completely agree with this.

Also just 25% increase in brightness over 3D? Not worth it for me, 2016 OLEDs brightness levels are great due to the perfect blacks, more is always better but taking away an entire library that was one of the best parts about last years models for a few more nits? If it doubled or pushed the new panels way over 1000 nits then OK but I don't know, not good IMO.