• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

R.I.P David Eddings

vader100

Prominent Member
David Eddings, author of the fantasy book series The Belgariad,Mallorean and Elenium, has passed away aged 77.

The author that first got me into fantasy writings way back in the mid 80's. Sad news for the fantasy genre and anybody who enjoyed a good yarn. Creator of excellent characters such as Belgarath and Silk, he will be missed.

In his words: _
"I'm never going to be in danger of getting the Nobel Prize for literature."

"I'm a storyteller, not a prophet. I'm just interested in a good story,"

That you were,thank you for many hours of escapism.

NewMan

Prominent Member
Absolutely loved the Elenium and The Tamuli... Never met a better character than Sparhawk. Tis indeed a shame, and a loss.

Kristian

Prominent Member
:-(

That's another fantasy writer no longer with us - Robert Jordan died last year.

I read the Belgariad and Mallorean many years ago but I didn't enjoy his books as much as Fiest's early work or Jordan's WOT. Maybe I should revisit his stuff...

Toasty

Distinguished Member
A sad day, I remember a school friend telling me to check out David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy, needless to say I went ahead and read the Belgariad and Malloreon series almost back to back.

Even though it's been a long time since I've read his books, I still remember with fondness characters such as Belgarath, Polgarara, Brand, Silk, Sparhawk, Althalus, et al.

I have the first three of The Dreamers sat on a shelf unread. They were a present, but I've not read them, mainly because I'd heard they were not on par with his earlier work. I'm in two minds whether to start them as I'd be disappointed if they fell short of what I remember.

RIP

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Well, that is sad news. I'll be raising a glass or two to Mr Eddings this evening.

I bought Pawn of Prophecy in about 1989 and read both the Belgariad and the Mallorean back to back and have read them both many times since. He is one of my favourite all time writers and he has given me many hours of happy reading pleasure. I think I own virtually all his work

I rate his "Silk" and Feists "Jimmy the Hand" as two of my all time favourite fantasy characters.

I actually feel quite sad now....:(

RIP

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom